Workshop 2020

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Winter Workshop

Got to run in then build 2 complete gen 4 stock bikes for November.
Busy few weeks coming up.

Looks like my winter plans have changed

0144ad731cac23d7db9bdc63c9efc525.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one mate... I was a pen stroke away from buying a brand new ZX7R in 1993, it was the hairdryer hose model... almost signed up one Saturday, decided to think about it over the weekend, got up on the Sunday morning and it was bouncing down outside.. decided at that point to book a round the world holiday on the Monday.......bailed out October to the following April... still regret it lol...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I had a new H1 (which I couldn’t really afford) and later an L1 as a project bike, what are your plans with that tasty RR Carson?

Nice one mate... I was a pen stroke away from buying a brand new ZX7R in 1993, it was the hairdryer hose model... almost signed up one Saturday, decided to think about it over the weekend, got up on the Sunday morning and it was bouncing down outside.. decided at that point to book a round the world holiday on the Monday.......bailed out October to the following April... still regret it lol...

Some good memories from that holiday though I bet.

I had a new H1 (which I couldn’t really afford) and later an L1 as a project bike, what are your plans with that tasty RR Carson?

It really doesn’t need much on the surface of looking at it:

1) Rebuild the carbs and any fuel hoses etc
2) replace all fluids
3) Rebuild the brakes
4) Service/rebuild the suspension

Then a really good clean and see where it goes from there.
I’m not going to ride this much, it’s only done 9k miles and I want to keep it low.

Once it’s finished, the plans to build a new shed to keep this and the R1 locked away. I never ride the R1 much now either but I love tinkering with it

Got mine back from FE today...winter tasks as follows.

1. Kick tyres

Should be ready to go in April or whenever....

Last edited:

I removed the chain before with a Dremel cutting tool, it doesn't take long. It is the Chain Riveting tool which is the more important tool to have. Just grind down the end of the rivet through the link on the chain and push it through with a hole punch

I've used/borrowed the Whale Chain Riveting tool several times - they told me to thump the Whale tool on the chain positioned at the top of the rear sprocket with a 4 lb club hammer, just the once, with the hammer raised parallel to the floor and at arms length as a starting position. They were quite correct, just one thump needed, no need to over tighten the chain. The Whale tool is £87 inc VAT plus delivery from Demon Tweeks about the same price as that one you're looking at on eBay Stuart.

The other tip given to me was to lay the removed old chain out straight on the floor on top of some card, like a piece of rope, and prior to connecting up the new chain lay the new chain parallel alongside the old one to ensure that if you have to remove some links, you get it the number of links to remove right first time. You are probably cleverer than me and order the correct number of links first, on other bikes, sometimes you have to buy a longer chain and reduce the number of links.

Last edited:

Hi Stuart,

Not used one of those but the Whale is the tool if you have a hard link to rivet.

Depending on make of chain the link will either be soft (hollow) or hard (solid). The soft links are easy even with a cheap riveter. Hard links are fine with the Whale.

Cheers, Rob

Good advice there Smooth and Rob, cheers....

I Dremelled my last chain off and the tool I had to rivet it together was one of those 25 quid jobs in the red plastic box..they're pretty shite and not particularly accurate, it's easy for the Anvil part to skite off the Rivet and mushroom it off centre...which is what happened to mine.. it was secure... but I was unsatisfied with it aesthetically...

What is it with dealers...my bikes been in for 3 weeks count this weekend...

Tech sussed out after week 1 the problem was that block connector et al..... he was going on holiday few days after diagnosis if parts werent in before he went he'd fit them on his return, so thot I'd hear something this week.. nought..so emailed for update Wednesday to be told today the parts would be a further 5 weeks.. meanwhile I'm looking to get on with my winter overhaul...and the bikes sitting in a ******* dealers gathering dust !

Am I expecting too much thinking a phone call would have been warranted...

As a side issue I haven't asked yet when the parts were actually ordered... 2 months all told ffs...grrrrr...

Korean oil tanker?..

What is it with dealers...my bikes been in for 3 weeks count this weekend...

Tech sussed out after week 1 the problem was that block connector et al..... he was going on holiday few days after diagnosis if parts werent in before he went he'd fit them on his return, so thot I'd hear something this week.. nought..so emailed for update Wednesday to be told today the parts would be a further 5 weeks.. meanwhile I'm looking to get on with my winter overhaul...and the bikes sitting in a ******* dealers gathering dust !

Am I expecting too much thinking a phone call would have been warranted...

As a side issue I haven't asked yet when the parts were actually ordered... 2 months all told ffs...grrrrr...

Korean oil tanker?..

Is that East Kilbride?

It is... the Tech is actually spot on when he's on it.. calls me etc... wouldn't have minded a call and option to uplift and return when parts are in tho...

Last edited:

Fed up waiting on my bike...another 4 weeks for this wee part, wtf !... I'm going to ask if they'll drop off to me and I'll run it back in when the parts available.. that will let me crack on... so I'm fancying an RK chain...anyone used ? Usually buy Renthal sprockets but might go for a pair of supersprox.. wheres the best place to buy the sprockets...

Cheers

9abaa57c65b4dcd05de76dbffb9a185e.jpg

Last edited:

Opted for this and think I got a bargain... £107 less 20% discount.... £86.00 inc delivery. GXW...

The ZXW is around £120.00....Doubt if I'd notice the difference.

2c2c72323f9e968699c836c989e4a2b6.jpg
4ecc30349cfb7119575088f4f8da7849.jpg

Last edited:

The black chain looks smart - did you go for that one or the gold?
I've bought Supersprox from Sportsbikeshop - check if they are in stock first.
I got them quick when in stock, but very slow when not in stock.

I ended up with BOTH lol... got an absolute bargain on a plain Black RK... 525 Pitch.... 50 quid as per my other post in sales section. it was a last in stock and priced to sell.

I'm happy to sell it on or if nobody wants it I'll send it back for refund.. sales section..

Back