Workshop 2020

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread about who's doing what over the winter.. when I get mine back from the dealer [emoji33] (I've updated the "Poor Running" thread)..

1. Chain and Sprockets
2. Dress up all my spare body panels.
3. Replace decals on carbon belly pan and clearcote.
4. Pair of Tyres.
5. Replacement indicator (smashed lens)
5. General thorough clean whilst up on bench.
5. 6k Service Feb 20.

Still considering track... can't get my head round it tbh and I the like roads too much..never mind no track choice without an equivalent Voyager Mission !...

S

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Re: Winter Workshop

I’m having a bit of a meltdown just now with bikes but here’s my general plan for the winter.

1. Tuono back from Spain and carry out some general maintenance and a service, then MOT. Tuono is going to be my main bike in the UK from now.
2. Gen 4 is being shipped to Spain as we speak. I’m going to try it on track next week and decide what I’ll do with it. I’m pretty sure it’ll remain my road bike for Spain with the occasional trackday.
3. Ducati 899 is being shipped back to the UK in the next couple of weeks. This is up for sale and will be replaced by either a Gen 3 or R1 track bike only. Depending what I get will determine how busy I’ll be over the winter but I’ve got Portimao booked in April.
4. R1 - who knows - if I get a good offer on it then I’ll sell it. Failing that it’s a cover over the top until April’s mot.
5. Off to look at a Kawasaki ZXR750 K1 on Saturday. I’m not sure what this will end up like

I’m doing nothing except ride it if the weather permits.

ZZR's on sorn, possibly sell it as dont do the roads much at all. RF will be stripped, checked, serviced etc and cleaned, probably new colour scheme for next year. Looking to chop them in for the new BM if all the planets align, we shall see.....

I need to get rid of some stuff so I dont need so much garage space plus sell bits to sort money out. We rent a second garage from a neighbor because of having too much bike gear and have had to move everything three times in the last six months which was a right nightmare. I need to fix and sell the Panigale R since I'd prefer to have another BMW in it's place. I've got shed loads of spares and other parts that go with that so it would be handy to free up the space in the garage as well. I really want to keep this GS loaner that I have been given since I'm having so much fun on it so selling the Ducati will help with that. Bahnstormer called yesterday to say the new RRs are arriving now and do I want to go ahead with it and give the GS back or not. I wasn't expecting to need to make the decision until March so waiting to hear back from them on that one.

I need to get rid of some stuff so I dont need so much garage space plus sell bits to sort money out. We rent a second garage from a neighbor because of having too much bike gear and have had to move everything three times in the last six months which was a right nightmare. I need to fix and sell the Panigale R since I'd prefer to have another BMW in it's place. I've got shed loads of spares and other parts that go with that so it would be handy to free up the space in the garage as well. I really want to keep this GS loaner that I have been given since I'm having so much fun on it so selling the Ducati will help with that. Bahnstormer called yesterday to say the new RRs are arriving now and do I want to go ahead with it and give the GS back or not. I wasn't expecting to need to make the decision until March so waiting to hear back from them on that one.

Pretty sure you were a bit reticent to take the GS originally...an amusing read with that in mind.

My winter starts when I allow the Mrs to turn the heating on...until then its jumpers at the ready.
Gotta sell the MK3 golf turbo and make space in the garage for the Gen 4 arriving in March/April. Going to NEC in Nov to see Hockenheim silver in the flesh....but I think deep down I'll stay with the msport.
Other garage plans are to get a new more automated secure garage door...insulate the man cave a little more and prep for March delivery....

My winter will be the following

Strip bike down aka all fairings off and sent to paint shop for touch up's and relaquer the carbon and resticker the belly pan

New Carbon parts to Fit
Side Stand,Front Subframe,Abs Tray
Carbon rear subframe(Dependent on if the guy can do it)

Performance Parts
Jet Prime Street/Race Switches
Dominio Quick Action Throttle
IRC Autorblipper
Watson Indicators

Full service and detailed clean of the engine and surrounding areas

That should keep me busy

Pretty sure you were a bit reticent to take the GS originally...an amusing read with that in mind.
Yeah exactly that, I was open to it being good but didn't expect to like it so much. Its an 'enabler'; I can do stupid things like last weekend where on Friday evening I decided to ride to the Dolomites for the weekend, slept under the stars in the mountains and even came back via the Nurburgring and got three laps in on my Intergalactic Horse!

Attachments

• 2019-10-17 18_41_05-iCloud Photos.jpg
    2019-10-17 18_41_05-iCloud Photos.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 2019-10-17 18_35_20-iCloud Photos.jpg
    2019-10-17 18_35_20-iCloud Photos.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 360
  • 2019-10-17 18_42_47-iCloud Photos.jpg
    2019-10-17 18_42_47-iCloud Photos.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 2019-10-17 18_36_01-iCloud Photos.jpg
    2019-10-17 18_36_01-iCloud Photos.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 2019-10-17 18_36_37-iCloud Photos.jpg
    2019-10-17 18_36_37-iCloud Photos.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

Thats very cool monners. I loved my GSA, I could abuse it all day long and it would keep coming back for more.

That Mountain Range and bike at the top of the path are superb pics Monners...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Beemer is as usual faultless.

Sv650 track bike. A highside didnt help.

New fairings. Rsv4 this time. Still will be rizla paintjob.

New brake lines all round. I have slight damage on one front line.

Brake caliper rebuild all round. Drunken purchase means titanium pots pins and bolts.

Instead of new road unknown engine I'm going full rebuild inc gearbox with some upgraded shift parts. And full titanium bolt set.

Shaving weight off anything I can off frame and general brackets. And you guessed it titanium frame fork etc bolts.

Lightweight lithium battery. New exhaust that's half the size.

Basically light as possible while staying within regs
And reliable engine and box.

Would love to learn to rebuild an engine.
Often wonder about buying a buying one from a scrapper and building it up, but the tools and parts list is formidable.

- Alex

I dismantled a bunch of car engines over the years in a bid to fix them. They never made it back together so I know to avoid taking the bike engines apart! I must admit it still is an itch I have that perhaps one day I will scratch. I've currently got a Panigale R engine with a blown gearbox that I'm tempted to try and sort out but it needs some expensive parts so DIY probably isn't the best approach!

Last edited:
Back