Evotech performance tail tidy might be illegal

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampj8

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got the EP tail tidy. All good till I was told to check the inclination.

In fact it is 45 degrees +-

Problem being that in the country where I live in this case Switzerland the law and fines are more strict.

The norm calls for maximum 30 degrees.

Also checked in several EU countries and they share the same rules in position and angle. (ES, FR, DE to mention some).

Contacted their customer service and had Garry who only replies very few words and not a solution.
I asked if they could send me a plate part 15 degrees more bent, he said he don’t have that.

Saw no disclaimer that their product is not for the road mean legal. So I bought assuming it is.
Will give them a call but it could well be they are selling something illegal.

Anyone had any similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't even pee while standing there after 10pm, so no surprises.

No idea why you own 1l public road bike in Swiss tbh.

Its not illegal to sell you a part.

The fact it fails a legality check in your country is not the manufacturers issue.

You're in a particularly strict country. Its up to you but you can sell it on, get it modified or just fit it and see if anyone notices...

- Alex

Its not illegal to sell you a part.

The fact it fails a legality check in your country is not the manufacturers issue.

You're in a particularly strict country. Its up to you but you can sell it on, get it modified or just fit it and see if anyone notices...

- Alex

Asking around other acquaintances some been fined when controlled for instance in Spain. So this is a case “if you have a control” then you might get a fine.

One of those risks one would take I guess.

Which is ok. I just say for those who would care about not running the risk without knowing it beforehand.

Fines on such cases are in the hundreds.

Thanks for the heads up ampj8. Saves me buying the evotech tail tidy. I'm not interested in a tail tidy I need to swap at each boarder crossing when on a trip!
What is the legal requirement in the UK for number plate angle? 45 degrees sounds boarder line to me.

never had any issues with them in the UK and been followed and stopped a few times.

Nor me - had Evotechs on all my bikes over the last 20 years and never had any issue with the feds.

I did had other Evotech and it looked less angled than this one.

I believe they designed it without considering the height and angle of the new RR tail.
That plate looks similar to others they have for other models and you attach with two bolts.

I am asking them for support also well is a help imo
But let’s see their answer.

I could try to bend it the material is thick and seems it can be done but before taking this route I seek their answer.

Bike looks great, just this little thing.

Measured it using the iPhone level app.

404943a638a0d3da302128774887a498.jpg

Bike looks sexy. I'd just stick it in a clamp and bend it down. Switzerland is not motorsport friendly at all in any way; beautiful though!

The other thing to be mindful of is that the tail tidy isn’t compatible with the BMW saddle bags - because the indicators.
Just something to be aware of if you’re thinking about travelling on yours.

Bike looks sexy. I'd just stick it in a clamp and bend it down. Switzerland is not motorsport friendly at all in any way; beautiful though!

I am seeking confirmation from EP that this is possible because it looks to me like Aluminum forged.

The customer service guy Garry has been all but customer service.
However I did post a comment on Instagram and someone asked me for a message. He or she replied far more decent asking for a moment so their team can review on this issue. The power of social media.....

AIUI in many/most countries it is a legal requirement for the bodywork of the bike to extend beyond the rear of the back wheel - which is achieved by the absurd and ugly number plate holders manufacturers put on the back of their bikes. The more aesthetically pleasing aftermarket tail tidies do not extend beyond the rear of the back wheel and would therefore contravene any such requirement, regardless of the angle of inclination of the numberplate.

In many countries it is a legal requirement for sellers of non road legal vehicle parts to identify them as such and/or sell them for off-road use only (dark visors, small plates etc.), however in most cases you gotta wonder whether anyone that needed telling ought to be allowed out on their own.

AIUI in many/most countries it is a legal requirement for the bodywork of the bike to extend beyond the rear of the back wheel - which is achieved by the absurd and ugly number plate holders manufacturers put on the back of their bikes. The more aesthetically pleasing aftermarket tail tidies do not extend beyond the rear of the back wheel and would therefore contravene any such requirement, regardless of the angle of inclination of the numberplate.

In many countries it is a legal requirement for sellers of non road legal vehicle parts to identify them as such and/or sell them for off-road use only (dark visors, small plates etc.), however in most cases you gotta wonder whether anyone that needed telling ought to be allowed out on their own.

Well said 👍

Andyf, that is well clear understandable as well.

However cops fine more because of the visibility and angle than for the plate being inside the reach of the rear wheel.

A matter of knowing ones risk and mitigation of it.

Hi all,

Got the EP tail tidy. All good till I was told to check the inclination.

In fact it is 45 degrees +-

Problem being that in the country where I live in this case Switzerland the law and fines are more strict.

The norm calls for maximum 30 degrees.

Also checked in several EU countries and they share the same rules in position and angle. (ES, FR, DE to mention some).

Contacted their customer service and had Garry who only replies very few words and not a solution.
I asked if they could send me a plate part 15 degrees more bent, he said he don’t have that.

Saw no disclaimer that their product is not for the road mean legal. So I bought assuming it is.
Will give them a call but it could well be they are selling something illegal.

Anyone had any similar issue?

2019 S1000RR in der Schweiz? Bist du bekloppt? :D

My mate lives in Geneva and he brought his 1980's R80RT over for me to partly renovate and partly update. On went the Brembo calipers, better pads & discs, braided steel hoses..... come time for his MOT out there, failed on all those parts. You can't fit anything that wasn't original equipment unless it has a certain certificate for that part. God forbid that happens here.

So Evotech Performance reckons they only have that plate and there is no other replacement. They don’t advise for me to try to bend it.

Therefore one course of action is return and refund or keep it and run the risk. It would take me one fine to pay the price of it again or a carbon one from Ilberger.

FACT IS THAT THE PLATE IS ILLEGAL FOR MOST EU AND CH. So owners can decide knowing this.

Now please don’t take me wrong: I post as one would post for any known risk on the bike, we are all adults here and can choose to run a risk or not. But the facts are there for all to validate and see.
Also if you check on local forums on other countries as mentioned you will find such stories that do happen (fines because plate too much tilted up).

ABOUT THE PRODUCT ITSELF:
Simply great, looks good, well built, solid manufacturing, good mounting instructions, all pieces delivered as announced.
The brand for me is just one of the best and I recommend them.

Disappointed they know they sell something that they could mediate for the benefit of the customer but they are not.

Hope this helps I invested some time now. And still some more to get it back. I prefer having it like others in the past and be relax everywhere I go.

Disappointed they know they sell something that they could mediate for the benefit of the customer but they are not.

Hope this helps I invested some time now. And still some more to get it back. I prefer having it like others in the past and be relax everywhere I go.
Evotech is a UK company and therefore they do not have to bother with German / Swiss declaration laws/policies. I can legally de-cat and ride around without a baffle where I live and no one would ever bat an eye, meanwhile the 'Rennleitung' in Germany and/or Switzerland would probably send me off to Gitmo without thinking twice.

Last edited:
Evotech is a UK company and therefore they do not have to bother with German / Swiss declaration laws/policies. I can legally de-cat and ride around without a baffle where I live and no one would ever bat an eye, meanwhile the 'Rennleitung' in Germany and/or Switzerland would probably send me off to Gitmo without thinking twice.

Yes but this you mention is something we all know.

Back