Colder Track Days

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJK

Reaction score
What are people’s thoughts on track days in the colder months? I want to try and get one more in before the winter sets in, so I am thinking of doing one within the next few weeks. It must be dry and I’ll be on Michelin Power RS on a ZX6 so no rider aids. I’m a little concerned of lean angle and cold tyre offs, which has happened to me in the past albeit on the road!

Thanks

I think you should go for it! Nothing wrong with a cold trackday, I’ve been on track when they’ve had to salt it...you learn a huge amount about grip and lean angle when the conditions are not perfect imo. Tbh though, it’s not for me anymore I got fed up with freezing my nuts off in leathers, I just don’t have the energy anymore for it. If you’re newish to tracks though do it. Just don’t reckon on breaking any personal bests. You’ll be much safer than on the roads, and the skills you learn may save your life sometime.

Last BSB round will happen "within next few weeks". I'm pretty sure you will be fine in October.

Colder Trackdays

October is typically fine for UK trackdays but after that it generally becomes quite unpleasant. Just make sure you warm your tyres throughly and be cognisant of the lower track temperatures and grip levels.

I've been planning on an October track day to either Cadwell or Oulton. I'll take the sensible approach, warm up the tyres first and then build it from there. By next year I will have invested in tyre warmers which will help?
NB The weather actually does change from one hour to the NEXT at this time of year. I'll check last thing tomorrow, fingers crossed I'll be able to book Oulton Park [emoji4]

Tyre Warmers

By next year I will have invested in tyre warmers which will help?

Tyre warmers will certainly help with getting the tyres up to operating temperature. The key to riding in cold weather on track is to ride at a fast enough pace to maintain that heat. As soon as you lose temperature in the tyres you lose grip.

Re: Tyre Warmers

Tyre warmers will certainly help with getting the tyres up to operating temperature. The key to riding in cold weather on track is to ride at a fast enough pace to maintain that heat. As soon as you lose temperature in the tyres you lose grip.

True, but I've done many a TD in the cold months on road tyres (by choice) which heat up remarkably quickly. Indeed, I have some RR's for that particular reason

Thank for the advice guys, looks like the weather will be the deciding factor ie it must be dry. It’s probably looking unlikely as the forecast for the next few weeks is quite unsettled and with the ambient temperature struggling to get above 14C it doesn’t look promising! Roll on spring lol

Use hypersport road tyres on cooler days. Easier to maintain heat and still supremely capable.

- Alex

Track surface temperature is the key, especially if you are on Supercorsas or any other 'road legal track tyre'. It might seem like a faff checking this stuff but its literally the difference between staying upright and crashing. Anything below 10 degrees and you are in serious trouble with SC1 or SC2 Pirelli/ K1,K2 Metzeller. SC0 are produced specifically to go down to 5 degrees track temp. You're actually better off on road tyres at this time of year if they can serve the performance that you need since they are much happier at very low temperatures and will handle down to 5 degrees or even less.

This is a very handy weather website that actually has a track surface temp tab so you can get an idea of how the air temperature affects the track temp through the day http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/United-Kingdom/Cadwell-Park-Circuit.aspx In a nutshell it depends on how much rain there has been in the previous few days. If it has been wet then the track surface temp will stay just below the air temp and match it around midday. If it's been dry for a few days then the surface temp will be cold in the morning but then rise above the air temperature around noon.

Last edited:
Track surface temperature is the key, especially if you are on Supercorsas or any other 'road legal track tyre'. It might seem like a faff checking this stuff but its literally the difference between staying upright and crashing. Anything below 10 degrees and you are in serious trouble with SC1 or SC2 Pirelli/ K1,K2 Metzeller. SC0 are produced specifically to go down to 5 degrees track temp. You're actually better off on road tyres at this time of year if they can serve the performance that you need since they are much happier at very low temperatures and will handle down to 5 degrees or even less.

This is a very handy weather website that actually has a track surface temp tab so you can get an idea of how the air temperature affects the track temp through the day http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/United-Kingdom/Cadwell-Park-Circuit.aspx In a nutshell it depends on how much rain there has been in the previous few days. If it has been wet then the track surface temp will stay just below the air temp and match it around midday. If it's been dry for a few days then the surface temp will be cold in the morning but then rise above the air temperature around noon.

That is very helpful thanks. To be honest it’s swayed my decision to just abandon the hold idea until next year now. I was considering Oulton tomorrow but it’s still forecast inclement weather early on and stops around 9am, but it’s been consistently wet lately and the temperatures are so low I can’t see it drying out, as you say colder track temperatures as a result albeit l’ll be on road tyres I just cannot be bothered with the doubt of grip levels! I had a great day at Donington last month so would rather end on a high than a low, so roll on some dry warmer days next year.

And after all my deliberations I decided not to travel to Oulton Park. And guess what, it was a fantastic day (Hutchison posted a picture on Instagram of sunshine and blue skies) which means I also missed seeing him ride [emoji27]

I feel bad for putting a downer on the idea now! I wasn't trying to say dont go; I was just trying to give you some information to make the right tyre decision on!!

No worries [emoji23] actually I wanted to try and explain ones 'mindset' yesterday would possibly have been the last fast warm weather track day for me (possibly a number of others) however if I'd changed my mindset to a cold or damp weather day I may have travelled to Oulton regardless? Reverse my thinking, concentrate on all of the same things to different degrees!?........does that make 'any' sense?
Ian

And after all my deliberations I decided not to travel to Oulton Park. And guess what, it was a fantastic day (Hutchison posted a picture on Instagram of sunshine and blue skies) which means I also missed seeing him ride [emoji27]

Typical! But sure enough if we had of made the decision to go it would have rained lol there will be plenty of other occasions

I feel bad for putting a downer on the idea now! I wasn't trying to say dont go; I was just trying to give you some information to make the right tyre decision on!!

I have no regrets about not going yesterday and was happy with the advice given, ironically I used my bike yesterday to pay a cheque into the bank and I thought to myself I am so please I never went to Oulton as it was sunny but still damp and cold at 3pm.

Back