Gen 4 Suspension

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richinio

Reaction score
I've had my S1000RR Sport for 2 weeks, only done 300 miles (bad weather + had a flippin puncture!)

So far, I've found the ride to be quite harsh.

I'm quite light (71kg without gear, 76kg suited and booted). I notice, from the manual, that the springs with no preload are suited to an 85 kg rider (not sure if this is with gear or not?)

My questions are....

1. Are other lighter riders experiencing a harsh ride?
2. Does the suspension become less stiff after doing a good chunk of miles?
3. Does anbody know what the spring rates are in the front forks and rear shock?
4. Has anybody changed their springs on the new model yet?

have youi tried it in a softer mode like road?, i found it too soft for me. then you have your pro modes to adjust things how you want. obviously not the spring rate though.

The guys on the 44teeth review said it was unbelievably hard in any of the race modes (on the road). I think they left it in Dynamic/road. I don't have a Gen 4 (yet) so could be talking out of the back of my head!

have youi tried it in a softer mode like road?, i found it too soft for me. then you have your pro modes to adjust things how you want. obviously not the spring rate though.

Its harsh for me, even in Rain mode.

I've had my S1000RR Sport for 2 weeks, only done 300 miles (bad weather + had a flippin puncture!)

So far, I've found the ride to be quite harsh.

I'm quite light (71kg without gear, 76kg suited and booted). I notice, from the manual, that the springs with no preload are suited to an 85 kg rider (not sure if this is with gear or not?)

My questions are....

1. Are other lighter riders experiencing a harsh ride?
2. Does the suspension become less stiff after doing a good chunk of miles?
3. Does anbody know what the spring rates are in the front forks and rear shock?
4. Has anybody changed their springs on the new model yet?

I’m 64 kg and don’t think I’ve ever had a bike that wasn’t hopelessly over sprung, until I got the new M Sport that is!

My Gen 3 was like a bloody plank, but I’m finding the new model much more compliant in all but the race mode - although I have noted that BMW have craftily sent them all out from the factory with the preload wound fully out, which is something I’d normally have to do as a matter of course.

Have to admit that I do find crap roads and low speed combinations a problem in any mode, but I guess they’re best avoided!

I think the Gen 4 damping’s a huge improvement over the 3, but I reckon a lower spring rate would be a good improvement for anyone substantial below 85 kg.

Like you the weather’s limited me to only having managed 470 miles, but since I live near Maxton’s base I’m planning to get my backside over to them at some point to see what they say. I’ll post up once done.

I’m 64 kg and don’t think I’ve ever had a bike that wasn’t hopelessly over sprung, until I got the new M Sport that is!

My Gen 3 was like a bloody plank, but I’m finding the new model much more compliant in all but the race mode - although I have noted that BMW have craftily sent them all out from the factory with the preload wound fully out, which is something I’d normally have to do as a matter of course.

Have to admit that I do find crap roads and low speed combinations a problem in any mode, but I guess they’re best avoided!

I think the Gen 4 damping’s a huge improvement over the 3, but I reckon a lower spring rate would be a good improvement for anyone substantial below 85 kg.

Like you the weather’s limited me to only having managed 470 miles, but since I live near Maxton’s base I’m planning to get my backside over to them at some point to see what they say. I’ll post up once done.

Thanks, thats interesting.

I am 85kgs plus kit and I found race mode damping too hard for the public roads up here. You must be shaken to pieces.

Last edited:
I am 85kgs plus kit and I found race mode damping too hard for the public roads up here. You must be shaken to pieces.

My first S1000 was a Gen 2 in 2012, I remember posting up about how hard the dammed thing was but all I got back was advice to eat more pies. I’d have had to put on 40 kg for it make any odds on that thing 🍔😂

The main question is if you already adjusted the sag accordingly for example like the manual says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighter riders have no sag adjustment option. The bike’s already on minimum preload, so there’s nowhere to go apart from fitting lower weight springs.

Its impossible to adjust a bike to your weight when you are that far over sprung. People are obsessed with SAG setup but basically all this does is get the best working range on the incorrect springs. I've got full data on my racebike now and I've been doing some comparisons just because I've always been suspicious of how useful SAG measurements are and doing static measurements for any of the setup is verging on useless it is so unreliable. Even taking stiction into account the measurements have such a high error rate that its its a waste of time. I've done similar comparisons on several bikes now and the results are always the same.

The other thing to take into account is that for optimum operation you would be several full spring rates softer for a road on a cold day to for instance a racetrack on a hot day. I'd massively recommend fitting the correct springs; it absolutely transforms the bike from something that you are fighting to something that works for you.

Also go for the softest springs you can reasonably work with as that is where the grip is; especially if you are only riding on the road where you need more suspension travel. As you can see from your current situation if you have too hard springs there's no way to adjust but if you are too soft then you can up the preload a little. Just dont make the mistake of continuously tightening the preload since this has negative effects.

Last edited:
Its impossible to adjust a bike to your weight when you are that far over sprung. People are obsessed with SAG setup but basically all this does is get the best working range on the incorrect springs. I've got full data on my racebike now and I've been doing some comparisons just because I've always been suspicious of how useful SAG measurements are and doing static measurements for any of the setup is verging on useless it is so unreliable. Even taking stiction into account the measurements have such a high error rate that its its a waste of time. I've done similar comparisons on several bikes now and the results are always the same.

The other thing to take into account is that for optimum operation you would be several full spring rates softer for a road on a cold day to for instance a racetrack on a hot day. I'd massively recommend fitting the correct springs; it absolutely transforms the bike from something that you are fighting to something that works for you.

Also go for the softest springs you can reasonably work with as that is where the grip is; especially if you are only riding on the road where you need more suspension travel. As you can see from your current situation if you have too hard springs there's no way to adjust but if you are too soft then you can up the preload a little. Just dont make the mistake of continuously tightening the preload since this has negative effects.

I agree with everything you say there, thanks.

Checked mine and yes basically all out both front and rear.
I just hit close to the 40mm that the manual says as sag for front and same on the rear bang on the 35mm it says.

Then of course I now better understand the comments posted before.

Talking about suspension. Well close to it.

What is your opinion about the steering damper?

I’ve been riding sporty on roads and have found comfortable with it at almost the middle. Has 10 clicks I am at 4 or 5 from open (softer).
At the track ran it fully closed, had no issues.

Yet my dealer tells me it is not that great and has instead replaced it with an Ohlins one.
He couldn’t elaborate in which situations one is better than the other for the track.

Talking about suspension. Well close to it.

What is your opinion about the steering damper?

I’ve been riding sporty on roads and have found comfortable with it at almost the middle. Has 10 clicks I am at 4 or 5 from open (softer).
At the track ran it fully closed, had no issues.

Yet my dealer tells me it is not that great and has instead replaced it with an Ohlins one.
He couldn’t elaborate in which situations one is better than the other for the track.

Been running my Gen 4 in so haven’t really pushed It but I’ve had no issues with the stock damper set in the middle. The Gen 3 used to shake its head in quite an evil manner, just as the Gen 2 did before it with my 64 kg on it.

I’m struggling to see that something as quick steering as the Gen 4 will be particularly stable when it’s being revved hard on the road. Clearly there’ll be some people reading this that will know the answer 🤔

I don't ride hard enough on the road to test out the damper so will have to wait to I get to a track in February to form an opinion.
But I was pleasantly surprised to see it's manually adjustable. My 2017 Gixer was not so nothing I could do with it.

When I was pushing on it while on the road on the recommended adjustment which for road is 3 clicks from open, I was having light steer while changing direction or when charging quick into the turn. Then closed it one more and it improved keeping the direction while not been so sensitive to inputs and road surface.

Back