Gen 4 Suspension

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today gave rear preload half a turn while on Road mode. It was noticeable as it increased compression (became harder).
Since I am within the recommended range I opened it back.

Can only sympathize for lighter riders! If you opt for DDC you still need different springs to allow you adjustment.
Also on the standard (I assume same springs).

Now have a dilemma because I am training on my bicycle to become fit so if I go to my ideal weight I will be doomed sitting on my bike!
Else I find a way to put ballast on the bike.

On top of one is adding carbon blingy! The bike becomes lighter!

Ay ay ay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple question - which I've completely failed to find the answer to:-
How do I reduce the compression damping in Rain, Road or Dynamic mode with DDC??

It was a piece of cake on my Gen 3. You went into the DDC menu and if in Rain mode you could take it between +8 and -8. You could then do the same for Road mode and then Race. I had it set really soft for when I found myself on a pot holed country road.

I had been pondering the same question. I think the only modes that allow you to change the damping are the race pro ones?

I had been pondering the same question. I think the only modes that allow you to change the damping are the race pro ones?
Correct. Unless you are in the RP modes you gonna have to ride what ze Germans zink is good for yu

Sounds like getting the Gen4 sprung for your weight is more important for on road than off...

Well that's just shit! The problem with any of the Race modes is they start way firmer than any of the Road modes so by the time you have backed them off they are still to firm for the road. That's a big step backwards in my book. You can't adjust the suspension- at all - in any of the road modes??!!

Last edited:
Contact
Brooksuspension.co.uk ask for David.
We have run Gen 3 now for 4 years, now moving to Gen 4.

Well that's just shit! The problem with any of the Race modes is they start way firmer than any of the Road modes so by the time you have backed them off they are still to firm for the road. That's a big step backwards in my book. You can't adjust the suspension- at all - in any of the road modes??!!

I took race pro 1 and set it all to 1 for DDC then mimicked the other settings to road.
Then same with race pro 2 but wit more dynamic engine and engine braking and abs. Suspension on 3’s.

Then did another closer to race with 5’s.

It’s not that bad. Only thing you loose is connectivity with phone. Which I use for navigation.

I recognised this issue shortly after getting the 4 and agree that being confined to make damping adjustments in RP only modes is a load of bollox. We should press for a software update that allows what the Gen 3 did and lets us decide for ourselves 🤬

I recognised this issue shortly after getting the 4 and agree that being confined to make damping adjustments in RP only modes is a load of bollox. We should press for a software update that allows what the Gen 3 did and lets us decide for ourselves ??????

Completely agree. I've just bought a 20K bike and I can't adjust the suspension to suite my needs because BMW don't think I should. It is utter bollocks. Even if you take rider preference and rider styles out of it, as Monners says, suspension is affected by ambient temp. Its a cold day, I'll just back off my compression damping a bit - computer says no. The facility to do it is already there, just bmw decided we are all to stupid to do it. And we have all become more stupid between the release of the gen 3 and the gen 4. Whats the best way to raise this with BMW? Or will they release the facility down the line for £300?

Hopefully Tim from Lind will read this - if so; Tim, what’s the best way for us to approach BMW Motorrad with a request for a software update to sort this DDC restriction out?

Completely agree. I've just bought a 20K bike and I can't adjust the suspension to suite my needs because BMW don't think I should. It is utter bollocks. Even if you take rider preference and rider styles out of it, as Monners says, suspension is affected by ambient temp. Its a cold day, I'll just back off my compression damping a bit - computer says no. The facility to do it is already there, just bmw decided we are all to stupid to do it. And we have all become more stupid between the release of the gen 3 and the gen 4. Whats the best way to raise this with BMW? Or will they release the facility down the line for £300?

I don’t follow what you say here.
From my standpoint we have even more freedom than before. In the race pro modes you can do anything and on top have the possibility to up or down the traction control (I had this on my Tuono and used it a lot). Also you can say how much wheelie and abs.
You just set 3 different modes.

Also to consider the following. As per bmw project manager of the s1000’s when in racing pro modes the dynamic damping only acts when motorcycle is in vertical and locks the setting when on lean which gives more predictable behavior.

When you are in rain, road, dynamic or race. The computer adjusts constantly regardless and depending on how you ride. That could lead to some situations where even on the desired mode can be initially disconcerting.

Example: one is on road mode going slow not pushing then you favorite turns come. As one starts attacking the rebound maybe too open then by the second or third turn it becomes more closed and consistent. Similar does on all.

I am way happier with the freedom of pro modes to be honest.

I don’t follow what you say here.
From my standpoint we have even more freedom than before. In the race pro modes you can do anything and on top have the possibility to up or down the traction control (I had this on my Tuono and used it a lot). Also you can say how much wheelie and abs.
You just set 3 different modes.

Also to consider the following. As per bmw project manager of the s1000’s when in racing pro modes the dynamic damping only acts when motorcycle is in vertical and locks the setting when on lean which gives more predictable behavior.

When you are in rain, road, dynamic or race. The computer adjusts constantly regardless and depending on how you ride. That could lead to some situations where even on the desired mode can be initially disconcerting.

Example: one is on road mode going slow not pushing then you favorite turns come. As one starts attacking the rebound maybe too open then by the second or third turn it becomes more closed and consistent. Similar does on all.

I am way happier with the freedom of pro modes to be honest.

For me (and possible the majority of people who buy an S1000RR) 90% of my riding will be on road. So the bike will spend the vast majority of its life in Rain, Road or Dynamic with all the functions, convenience and ability those modes give. While in those modes is it too much to ask to be able to adjust the damping settings? If it were a budget bike for commuting I would be able to understand it. Right now its the pinnacle of bike development - or so BMW hope - and you cant adjust the suspension - at all. At the launch of the bike I watched endless video presentations, by BMW, of how you can adjust anything and everything. At no point did anyone say btw you can only do this when configured for track use.

Last edited:
Ok got it.
But I think you miss something relevant here.

On the pro modes there’s only the ddc as the difference. All the rest you can do.

Ex: 3 race pro modes with exactly same engine and ABS settings as Road, each with different ddc settings.

From my standpoint the gen3 is more limited than the 4.

Think the label race pro intimidates, but can be used on roads no issues.

Ok got it.
But I think you miss something relevant here.

On the pro modes there’s only the ddc as the difference. All the rest you can do.

Ex: 3 race pro modes with exactly same engine and ABS settings as Road, each with different ddc settings.

From my standpoint the gen3 is more limited than the 4.

Think the label race pro intimidates, but can be used on roads no issues.

we don’t have Swiss/German roads here. Riding in RP on public roads is nearly impossible in the UK / Ireland that’s one thing. Second thing is, all media functions are disabled in RP.

The other bit is that, as good as the DDC is, it’s only semi-active based partly on inputs from the movement of the rear shock - which limits its effectiveness.

As noxx says, most of us are road biased, and we want to retain all of the benefits of the road modes while having some damping options.

Mr BMW clearly hasn’t been punted out of the seat as I was on wet roads last Sunday, with the sat nav in use I add.

Most boxes are already ticked - just need to tick the small few that remain.

we don’t have Swiss/German roads here. Riding in RP on public roads is nearly impossible in the UK / Ireland that’s one thing. Second thing is, all media functions are disabled in RP.

Or the weather!! I bet its 20C warmer where ampj8 is sat compared to where I'm sat right now :cold::cold:

as i see it the race pro modes are just the same as the old user mode but you can set up 3 different settings. as said above i think they should have called them user modes as not to confuse people. you can set your race pro mode as any of the standard modes if you want with more or less compression or damping.

Have a look pls. You can “emulate” road even rain options by yourself within those, even it says where the engine, tc, abs is from (road, dynamic etc).

But ok point taken of course I understand what you all mean.

I do like the normal modes too, and of course would welcome the changing of damping only. But with which button ? Mr BMW would need to tell us which maybe the TC one since it’s useless while on normal modes.

Does anyone know how much for the front forks guide? So as to be able to split compression from rebound in DDC.

Have a look pls. You can “emulate” road even rain options by yourself within those, even it says where the engine, tc, abs is from (road, dynamic etc).

But ok point taken of course I understand what you all mean.

I do like the normal modes too, and of course would welcome the changing of damping only. But with which button ? Mr BMW would need to tell us which maybe the TC one since it’s useless while on normal modes.

Does anyone know how much for the front forks guide? So as to be able to split compression from rebound in DDC.

Last time I looked it was about £400 for the 2D sensor and the additional loom.

Back