Major running problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S1000roo

Reaction score
Evening all,

My Gen 1 will not rev past 3000RPM after the water temp reaches 80 from cold start. The bike will then not run past 3000rpm if left to cool down for a bit but will do the whole thing again if left for several hours.

Anyone have any ideas?

and dash lights on? ounds like limp mode but there will be a dash light on also (engine light)

No engine lights on. It will just be working fine one minute then not the next.

Thinking about it. The mileage on the dash is flashing. I think due to me having it running on the stands and now the ecu and dash are out of sync. Could this be it? Or, can the throttle butterflies need calibrating on a gen 1. Not sure how tech it all is being cable driven.

mileage flashing means the ECU thinks theres something dodgey going on,and doesn't match somewhere (happens when you change clocks for example).

cant see why running on stands should effect it though,no different to running on a dyno.

throttle bodies can go out of sync easy enough,i calibrate mine every time out on track (and twist grip sensor) but usually throws an engine fault light up if it's this.

cant really help without sticking a diagnostic on it,but they are very sensitive to voltage,make sure your battery is working as it should,and holding good charge

Hi, I agree with Scooby, on both my Ducati and Suzuki, if the battery is low in voltage or on it's way out. It gives me the same symptoms. ECU can't talk to a component and goes into limp home mode. J

make sure terminals are uber tight,i even silicone mine to make sure they dont work loose

13.1v resting and 14.5 running and terminals done up by superman. Still have problem. On the throttle.

How do I calibrate stuff? I’ve got an Alpha quick action throttle. Obviously cable on the old girl. Did gen 3 go drive by wire throttle?

gen 3 full FBW so it's not a twist calibration you need,rather bodies.

you could try, turn ignition on,give a full rotation of throttle,all way to stop,hold for a second,then return to fully closed,and i mean use some pressure to close it,turn ignition off,then back on.thats the calibration sequence.

does sound like some kind of sensor issue,but weird there no dash light coming on.

other than that,cant really help

Back