Cooling fan

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vro551

Reaction score
As most off you know the s1k runs very hot, and it just goes over 100degs as soon as one slows down. Is there a way to lower the starting temperature of the cooling fan? Had a look with my GS911 but couldn't find anything. Has anyone managed to do so?

As most off you know the s1k runs very hot, and it just goes over 100degs as soon as one slows down. Is there a way to lower the starting temperature of the cooling fan? Had a look with my GS911 but couldn't find anything. Has anyone managed to do so?
Why would you want to? It’s a pressurised system and the ‘boiling point’ is way higher. The techs at BMW have spent many hours setting the point at which the fan comes on, it’s a non problem and you won’t get ahead of the game/meltdown! Unless you have a cooling problem, in which case look elsewhere?

When the outside temperature is over 30 for more 6 months, a blast furnace between your legs is the last thing you need

When the outside temperature is over 30 for more 6 months, a blast furnace between your legs is the last thing you need

will only make it worse as the fan draws air through the rad,not blown through,so ill be blown on to yor legs even more

you can wire the fan to a manual switch though if thats what you really want to do,lots do it on track to help cool bike down on an in lap.

or other,more expensive not as easy option is to fit a larger rad.i'v e got a bora on mine and rarely sees over 90 even on a pootle round on the last lap/red flag

no,pretty pointless tbh on track.

*slight edit*

they aren't pointless,actually quite usefull if your waiting around to go out,but for me worth my set up,theres no room for the fan as also runs a top secondry oil cooler

no,pretty pointless tbh on track.

*slight edit*

they aren't pointless,actually quite usefull if your waiting around to go out,but for me worth my set up,theres no room for the fan as also runs a top secondry oil cooler
What's secondary oil cooler?

ok,it's not actually a secondry,theres still only 1,it's just a larger oil cooler positioned behind the rad at the top as the water rad is larger,taking up the space of the o/e oil cooler, the engine is the 6.2 motorad spec,it has a deeper oil pan so holds more oil (amlost 5l in total) so guess it needs the extra help.

I had a manual switch fitted to my zx6r but it was a bit of mess as it was a non latching switch, so had to keep a finger on it, and the kawa runs at least 15deg cooler than the beamer. I wont worry about the hot air blowing through the sides, it more the frame that gets so hot it scorches my legs. And anyways why so it run so hot when its a road bike

I had a manual switch fitted to my zx6r but it was a bit of mess as it was a non latching switch, so had to keep a finger on it,

without wishing to state the obvious,why not just use a toggle switch?

theres no cure to your issue though really,your complaining about something (imo at least) is anon issue,theres an internal combustion chamber,4 in fact,sat between your legs,it's gonna get hot!!

heat can be a problem, mine got up to 111degrees the other day and the generator burnt out shortly afterwards, not hot enough for the warning light to come on. I've checked the function of the light and the fan with the gs911 and both seem ok. bikes had new coolant and oil and i've reversed flushed the rad fins. it's got a full system and pcv which might warm things up a bit but cruising at 60 - 80 it reads less than 80 degrees I think 74-79. but as soon as you get in traffic it's getting up to 100 (no fan) - it's more of an issue on hols when ampiant temp is +30 degrees. it's never boiled over or needed coolant added - untl this year not been a problem but it doesn't seem to help the generator (although it might be coincidence)

Only had mine boil once, racing at Donny and it was hot, end of race the exit was end of straight just before redgate. So 15laps flat chat (for me) over the line, then 2/300metrs before tickover back to the garage so no surprise really. Standard setup......

Back