Pros & cons riding the m sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novacaine99

Reaction score
Please note this is only IMO, others may have a different outlook and/or feedback. I've now done approx. 1500miles since taking delivery end of July ( low mileage mainly due to the sh*te British climate)

Pros:
Power delivery is amazing, any gear above the shiftcam change at 9000rpm range is rapid.
Positioning on the bike is very good making your knees tuck into the fuel tank making the feeling of bike and rider being one.
Handling is just brilliant making the 1000cc frame feel like your on a 600cc, really truly flickable around the bends at high speed and the slower tighter corners (this down to the carbon wheels maybe?)
TFT display and function buttons are very good, even I can go into the menus and understand most of them.
Wheelie control is awesome in Dynamic, no more feathering the rear brake to keep the front from flipping out, I think this is set at a 40deg wheelie angle.
The standard heated grips have been a right treat with some early morning brisk weather riding
Anti hill roll by applying the front brake I found well handy

Cons:
The seat is like a brick, I can't stay on the bike for more than two hours, but saying that I'm usually looking for a fuel station by then anyways
The rear view mirror positions are grand but shake that much when riding it you can't make out if that's a rosser behind you or Mr Joe Public
Fuel consumption seems to be nowhere near the BMW stated MPG, but perhaps that's coz I'm always trying to get above that magical 9000rmp (LOL)
The oil cooler is that low an Evotech radiator guard or equivalent is a must (run my bike in without one and dented at least 10fins) guard now fitted, this is a must have
Leaking front fork seals, after each ride out there's always an oil line on the fork stems (told this is normal by the dealership) but still a little worrying one thinks

Overall, even with the above cons the bike I found is brilliant, loving every second spent on it. All those still waiting, trust me it'll be worth the wait, an AWSOME bit of kit

Please note this is only IMO, others may have a different outlook and/or feedback. I've now done approx. 1500miles since taking delivery end of July ( low mileage mainly due to the sh*te British climate)

Pros:
Power delivery is amazing, any gear above the shiftcam change at 9000rpm range is rapid.
Positioning on the bike is very good making your knees tuck into the fuel tank making the feeling of bike and rider being one.
Handling is just brilliant making the 1000cc frame feel like your on a 600cc, really truly flickable around the bends at high speed and the slower tighter corners (this down to the carbon wheels maybe?)
TFT display and function buttons are very good, even I can go into the menus and understand most of them.
Wheelie control is awesome in Dynamic, no more feathering the rear brake to keep the front from flipping out, I think this is set at a 40deg wheelie angle.
The standard heated grips have been a right treat with some early morning brisk weather riding
Anti hill roll by applying the front brake I found well handy

Cons:
The seat is like a brick, I can't stay on the bike for more than two hours, but saying that I'm usually looking for a fuel station by then anyways
The rear view mirror positions are grand but shake that much when riding it you can't make out if that's a rosser behind you or Mr Joe Public
Fuel consumption seems to be nowhere near the BMW stated MPG, but perhaps that's coz I'm always trying to get above that magical 9000rmp (LOL)
The oil cooler is that low an Evotech radiator guard or equivalent is a must (run my bike in without one and dented at least 10fins) guard now fitted, this is a must have
Leaking front fork seals, after each ride out there's always an oil line on the fork stems (told this is normal by the dealership) but still a little worrying one thinks

Overall, even with the above cons the bike I found is brilliant, loving every second spent on it. All those still waiting, trust me it'll be worth the wait, an AWSOME bit of kit

very similar issues i found. have you thought about buying a standard none M seat. this is what im going to do. the none M seat is almost the same as the gen 3 seat which i have found good on mine for the 13000 miles ive done on it. Its also interesting what you say about 9000rpm , i also thought my test ride was like this. not a lot below 9000rpm well not the big punch others have said. thought the shift cam was meant to sort this and give loads of low down torque. I thought it was just the demo bike i tried.

Just a thought but is the bike restricted until the first service, could it be that the dealer has kept the demo in this state.

I picked mine up yesterday but not ridden it yet due to shit weather

Just a thought but is the bike restricted until the first service, could it be that the dealer has kept the demo in this state.

I picked mine up yesterday but not ridden it yet due to shit weather

I had the same when I picked mine up the end of July, I even bit the bullet and rode it home in the pi**ing down rain, everyday after for about 2weeks it rained (Noah did build his Ark) but thankfully the weather came good to get the 500mile first service out the way. Fingers crossed for you matey......lets all do a sun dance??????

I agree on rad covers. Even more if you plan race track riding. But that’s any bike same thing.

I like the hill start control when it engages on a hill or manually so easy to put in our out. My RT is a bit more challenging and only front bake works.

Auto reset blinkers great too. Once you understand how they work.

Cruise control the most used feature for me when riding on road.

PRo it has two if not three accessory plugs so you can connect cables to it without having to do directly on the battery.
I will put a bmw cigar plug for my bmw heated vest inside the box under the seat, plug in between the trellis frame right side.

Con: you cannot adjust separately the rebound and compression on the front unless you have a guide installed which connects to the other accessory cable on the front. Not that I am expert but still.

Con: the rear tail stickers not coated like almost the rest of the bike has! Reminds me my Aprilia Tuono, same bloody thing. Will replace with motografix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back