Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I fitted one on my old gsxr, nice and easy but takes ages for the oil to drain

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I have one on my s1000, and also my race bike. Brilliant bits of kit (remember to keep a spare tube in your toolbox if away for a few days though)...

problem is,you'll never get to see how much/if any swarf you have in your oil (magnetic sump plug),giving you an idea on gearbox/engine wear.

Is there any real advantage over a simple warm up and drain ? Looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
have what,the quick drain plug? how do you see the swarf with out going through the oil afterwards?

yes i have a quick drain plug. if you dont see the swarf then theres none there and noting to worry about. lol. so if you see swarf what do you do? strip the gearbox out? most wont there just worry and wait until it goes bang. :)

spose so if your using 3/4" drive Commercial tools on the sump plug... "wheres that breaker bar" lol...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

if you do enough changes the threads do wear and the metal can fatigue. had it happen on my missis gixer. cracked the sump so bought these quick drains straight after. yes i use a calibrated torque wrench as i do in my job 10+ times a day

yes i have a quick drain plug. if you dont see the swarf then theres none there and noting to worry about. lol. so if you see swarf what do you do? strip the gearbox out? most wont there just worry and wait until it goes bang. :)

prevention rather than cure.an engine strip/rebuild is much much cheaper (and a whole lot safer) than an engine seizing up due to a shattered gear or snapped rod,but yes,if you cant see it then it cant go wrong ;)

but if you do see swarf,and you will on most oil changes,you can gauge how bad the wear is,and generally what it is,then you can do something about it before the inevitable,be it adjust your gear changes,q/s settings etc.same as anything really,with that mentality,why even bother changing the oil,if it's black sludge,makes no odds if you cant see it,in fact,paint over the sight glass just in case :)

but if you do see swarf,and you will on most oil changes,you can gauge how bad the wear is,and generally what it is,then you can do something about it before the inevitable,be it adjust your gear changes,q/s settings etc.same as anything really,with that mentality,why even bother changing the oil,if it's black sludge,makes no odds if you cant see it,in fact,paint over the sight glass just in case :)

how do you guage the wear if you see swarf on most oil changes. i think if you start having issues then it may come in handy but as you said your see swarf on most changes and ive had it more sometimes than others. i do also drop my oil in a cut down oil container then let it settle and when poured into my waste oil tank i can see whats left in the bottom , not that i know what the swarf is telling me.

i guess it comes down to experience but if you don't know yourself,gives a far easier way of asking for help/advice,you will always get some metallic filings in your oil,but seeing the amount and style(size etc) change over 2 oil changes for example,will alert you something isn't right,or at least to keep an eye on it next time.

perfect example,i had a tooth shear of a gear in my gearbox,i'd felt some vibration in the engine prior to this but wasn't sure what the issue until i dropped the oil,obviously the tooth stuck onto the sump plug gave me the clue :).if your someone (not saying you) that just drops oil+ dumps it,you'd never know which could then lead to further issues,replacing gearbox is a lot cheaper when it's just the gearbox and not replacing other internals due to bits of metal flying around the inside of an engine.

anyway,i'm not saying the drain valve is a bad idea,it's certainly easier,but for the sake of undoing a sump plug,and putting back on with a modicum of care,i'd stick with the convential method.

Back