BSB & Tyco

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I see from BikeSport news that Glenn Irwin has left the Tyco team. Kinda surprised by this - I thought he was doing quite well in the short time he's been on the bike, and way better than his Kawasaki performances. The press announcement just has the usual bland statements about a mutual decision.

I'm guessing he didn't have to pay for the ride and therefore it's not a money problem on his side. Anyone know more?

Could it be that Keith Farmer has recovered sufficiently from injury to compete in the last two rounds? Glen Irwin was only standing in for him.

Not sure I follow Alex, can you explain?

Tyco have MD on the books yes. And is their man on the roads. I expect that GI wanted a roads program with Tyco as part of his deal...but that may have conflicted with the MD deal.

It's just *wild* speculation on my part...trying to imagine what has occurred.

Alex, yep could be true but it's so close to the end of the season for BSB and the road racing season is over, it's strange. He's got good results i.e top 5 in BSB and this is the first time Tyco have released a rider during a season. More will come out tomorrow. J

Ah, gotcha. Not unreasonable pov.. for next year. Unless GI is going to announce another ride for the rest of this year it still seems odd that he would give up the chance to show show his capabilities. I agree with the other post that Farmer prob isn't ready yet. Wonder if Ellison will get his 4th bike of the year... Although i can't see any BMW team wanting him after his performance at Smiths...

I haven't seen the Assen weekend yet.
Didn't know about the crashes. That adds another angle. His/the teams' response in the garage to a crash or 2 could certainly cause issues.
i.e. if the data says you F'd up but you refuse to accept it and blame the team/bike/track/god then it could certainly lead to a sudden break down in the relationship.
There's a reason Birdy didn't keep him and he then struggled on the title winning ZX-10R...

"Team boss Philip Neill intimated it was TAS Racing’s worst weekend in 17 years.

“It’s fair to say our trip to Assen certainly didn’t go to plan. Unfortunately, we once again suffered an untimely crash for both riders, causing a significant setback to our potential.
“I would like to pay tribute to our hard-working crew and suspension partners K-Tech who produced another fine effort to rebuild the bikes on three separate occasions.
“I honestly don’t recall a more testing weekend in our 17 years in BSB, and it goes without saying that Donington Park can’t come quick enough.”

Maybe a personality thing. I used to mechanic for Hizzy and I found him a perfect gentleman who sat with you, went over changes and made the Tea. Other people didn't get on with him.

Yes, they probably needed a bin lorry to take all the mashed up bits back home from Assen!! :mad:
Christian Iddon will be out of a job at the end of this season unless I am very much mistaken, he has had to many crashes , injuries and underperformed :culpability:

We were at Assen all weekend in Tyco hospitality and tbf both Iddon and Irwin didn't look their normal jolly selves especially Irwin. In free practise on Friday, Irwin was in and out of the pits and at one point was having a heated discussion with one of the mechanics about setup. If Tyco are running BMW's next year and its a big if, then they really need to up the calibre of rider if they are going to be title contenders.

Agreed, Iddon's nice but no contender.
They need a winner.
Not sure what packages out there which would be better than a factory RR.

- Alex

Has Camier signed for anyone yet? If not then Tyco should sign him, though I expect Birdy will be after him.
(Really wish LC was on a competitive WSBK bike, but by all accounts Alvaro and Lowes will be on the Honda's next year, and I don't think any other good rides are spare).

Back