Reducing DB’s for track

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2015 gen 3 with a full titanium Akra system, however it is too loud for the noise test at my local track at Castle Coombe ( 3/4 rev range, 12000 rpm at 105 dB). My bike tests around 107-108. I really want to start using this track as my club hire it exclusively several times a year and I cannot attend. I also attend lots of Skills days at Thruxton, the last one being Monday. They have advised that they are noise testing from next year. My bike has always passed the noise test at the BMW club days at Snetterton. What would be the best options to me to ensure I pass or is this just not achievable at that rev range. All work would have to be professionally done as I do not have any mechanical skills. How much louder is the full Akra system to the OEM system.
I still have the OEM headers and slip on. If I had the Akra headers removed and put the OEM ones back on with the Akra slip on how much quieter would this be. If the Akra slip on is still to noisy what is a good aftermarket slip on that would be quieter than the OEM.
The bike was mapped at PDQ, am I correct in thinking any adjustments to the exhaust would need a new map creatingz?

Use the headers and contact Powertech, Simon. He will make you a long can to fit the headers with optional DB killer.

castle coombe is very very hard to get under,12000rpm is a very high RPM to be doing a noise test though,but you wont really get quieter than a stabdard can,or a very very long end can,pipewerx do some good long end cans with baffles

I figure my yoshi is the longest aftermarket can you can get. Not that quiet tho. But lets say buddy's racefit is significantly louder

Hi I spoke to Simon at Powertech and he has recommended the 450mm track can as below. I just need to measure the inlet to see if it is 60 or 65 mm, does anyone know what it is as can’t do this until much later. He can supply the can in both though. This is designed to fit onto my Akra headers. I just hope this will get me through Castle Coombe, if not I will have to pay a fortune to have the Akra taken off and the OEM refitted.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]TRACK DAY SILENCER TO FIT ANY AKRAPOVIC 60mm LINK PIPE[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot](Also available in 350mm and 400mm lengths) please call for advice on your bike.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Are you having problems failing the noise test at track days even with all the baffles fitted.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Even if you do pass you will be losing power with the restrictive diameter of the baffles.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]This oval titanium can is 450mm long and will get you through most noise tests without DB KILLERS release the horsepower you have lost.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fits directly onto 60mm link pipe or decat pipe[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]B.S. stamped Road Legal[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Lifetime guarantee against manufacturing defects[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]All Titanium construction with 304 perforated tube inside for longevity[/FONT][/FONT]

It'll be the same as mine.
What ever he supplied to an Alex H, London

- Alex

What were the changes made in the 2017 Euro 4 to make bikes quieter. Are there any that I can do to my 2015 bike. Below is taken from Castle Coombes website:
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]we seem to be finding that the majority of 2017 Euro 4 bikes are passing the noise test, due to the lower noise limit of these bikes[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]In our experience the following machines may NOT pass our strict limits:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Any make & model of bike with short type side silencers [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]BMW S1000 RR[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Ducati 748/749/916/996/998/999, fitted with Termignoni open pipes[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot](but any of the above with standard pipes SHOULD pass)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Ducati 1098R[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Ducati 1198[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Ducati Multistrada (2011 + 2013)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Ducati Panigale - all models[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Honda CBR1000RR: 2008-2015[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Kawasaki ZX10 - 2009 and 2010 model[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]KTM RC8[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSXR600 K6[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSXR600 K7[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSXR 750 K6 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSXR 750 K7[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSXR1000 K6 - 2006 model with standard exhaust[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSXR1000 K7[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Suzuki GSXR1000 K8[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Triumph 675 - 2009 model (short type side can)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Yamaha R6 2006-current[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Yamaha R6 - 2009 model (short type side can)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Yamaha R1 2008-current[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I have received my new end can from Powertech and took it for noise testing today at Castle Coombe. It recorded 105.9, down from 108 with the Akrapovic end can. The pass is 105 dB, however the tester advised there is a 1dB of tolerance, so anything below 106. It literally passed by 0.1dB . The tester did advise adding an end cap to the baffle. He had one to hand and just held it in the end of the exhaust. This dropped the noise test to 104.8dB. I spoke to Powertech and Simon is going to make me a custom baffle with this end cap.
If any of you are concerned about noise I highly recommend his exhausts and support service. The exhaust looks and sounds fabulous and was only £200. Don’t be put off by the cheap price, it’s a high quality product. I have the original Akrapovic which cost four times that and have decided to leave it off the bike.

Attachments

• 2E75FEBA-5CE2-43FC-90DC-B8D5541E6410.jpeg
    2E75FEBA-5CE2-43FC-90DC-B8D5541E6410.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I have a power tech end can on my gen 3. Great service and excellent can for the money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have received my new end can from Powertech and took it for noise testing today at Castle Coombe. It recorded 105.9, down from 108 with the Akrapovic end can. The pass is 105 dB, however the tester advised there is a 1dB of tolerance, so anything below 106. It literally passed by 0.1dB . The tester did advise adding an end cap to the baffle. He had one to hand and just held it in the end of the exhaust. This dropped the noise test to 104.8dB. I spoke to Powertech and Simon is going to make me a custom baffle with this end cap.
If any of you are concerned about noise I highly recommend his exhausts and support service. The exhaust looks and sounds fabulous and was only £200. Don’t be put off by the cheap price, it’s a high quality product. I have the original Akrapovic which cost four times that and have decided to leave it off the bike.

+ 1 for Simon at Powertech

Thats outstanding that you managed to get sorted. I really was not optimistic you would get through the tests! How does the bike feel as I'd imagine it would rob a massive amount of power and Castle Combe is fast.

Back