2018 clip on's balance

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blankrider

Reaction score
So I just picked new 18 S1000RR 2018.

Everything is great except, and maybe this sounds weird, but since the the clip on On the throttle side is, or feels somewhat hollow compared to the left side, it almost feels "off Balance"

IOW, The density of the left side clip on feeling solid and weighty, and I guess the throttle side being less dense, lighter and kind of hollowish, makes steering feel a little off balance. It steers straight but it is noticeable right from when i jumped on. I got "used to it" mostly after 100 miles but...

Am I the only one who has noticed or experienced this? If this is normal how can i resolve? Never really noticed this on any other bike that I recall.

Thanks for any replies.

So I just picked new 18 S1000RR 2018.

Everything is great except, and maybe this sounds weird, but since the the clip on On the throttle side is, or feels somewhat hollow compared to the left side, it almost feels "off Balance"

IOW, The density of the left side clip on feeling solid and weighty, and I guess the throttle side being less dense, lighter and kind of hollowish, makes steering feel a little off balance. It steers straight but it is noticeable right from when i jumped on. I got "used to it" mostly after 100 miles but...

Am I the only one who has noticed or experienced this? If this is normal how can i resolve? Never really noticed this on any other bike that I recall.

Thanks for any replies.

I’ve never noticed a difference in density between the rhs/lhs clip ons, but my 2016 definitely steers to the right when not kept straight. Riding with hands off means you have to sit to the left or you just go round in big circles! Quite irritating really. Apparently, ‘They all do that Sir’ according to my dealer. Is that what you’re talking about??

Hey Zxcv12. Thanks for the reply. Yes, What you describe is kind of what i feel. Have to test more but i would say it doesnt steer or veer to the right, but it does seem to offer less resistance to lean to the right. Again still have to test more.

I was just thinking of the clip on weight/density probably because of the throttle tube, throttle "lightness", throttle "play" if you will.

if that makes sense. But now that i think about it, if the right side were "lighter" the "pull" or "veer" would provably be in the opposite direction.

So i did a search on "s1000rr steer right" on google and found a very long thread on another forum. So THANK YOU, i was looking for the wrong thing and your reply helped me confirm I am not crazy and not the only one :)

Thanks Alex, I can see the weight of the exhaust contributing I guess, but others that have "experienced" this have claimed it persisted after replacing.

If by "the way you sit" you mean that I need to sit off to left to compensate for the imbalance, I will try that, but..

If by "the way you sit" you mean I am sitting in a way that creates the imbalance of an otherwise perfectly balanced machine, I can only say that i have sat the same way on more than a dozen other high performance italian and Japanese sport bikes since 1985 and never had this type of feeling.

I need to test more and I think once i get used to the bike, weight , different tires etc .. it is fine. Just went to ride again and its there but getting used to it. I rode more than 100 miles there on a brand new fireblade with my bad sitting and was balanced.

Its all good and thank you for your reply.

I am just happy that I wasnt imagining it or that it was a unique sensation on my new bike.

I’ve put helibars on my 2018 and it still veered slightly, I’ve now put a Yoshi R55-LE can on instead of the standard and its much better,

the old BMW right turn assist. loads of threads about it over the internet. some do it some dont. some say a weight thing others have tried to sort it but its still there. even herd of people rewiring the wires around the head stock the other way to try to sort it.

the old BMW right turn assist. loads of threads about it over the internet. some do it some dont. some say a weight thing others have tried to sort it but its still there. even herd of people rewiring the wires around the head stock the other way to try to sort it.

"right turn assist" :)

yeah I am reading inconsistent results and opinions on cause/resolution.

I mean, if it were the exhaust/CAT weight, on an 17/18 for example, if someone put on a really light full titanium system, and dropped like ~17-20lbs, and the bike was balanced for that, I would think the difference would be significant, repeatable and very noticeable and that doesn't seem to be the case at least frm what others have reported.

Also if it was the exhaust/cat weight, i Do not think it would be a "some do it, some dont" situation.

Back