Having a new knee

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Well today’s the day! I’m sitting in hospital at the moment, having booked in at 6.30 this morning. A replacement right knee is due after 2 years of discomfort.
Had my last run out on the S 1000 yesterday and realised how much articulation my right leg needs to get on the peg.
Hope I can retain that after my op!
Just wondered if anyone here has had this done?

Good luck RR... routine ops nowadays, my mates had both hips done no problems and he's still riding.... major benefit today !.....all those wee nurses in their skimpy outfits..lol..

https://youtu.be/099Cmu4cY7Q

This wil cheer you up..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Very good that Stuart. As I’m about to go into surgery I think to save any embarrassment to me and the surgical team I shall refrain from watching that clip until I come out of the anaesthetic in the privacy of my bed when the lights are off and everyone’s asleep 🛌😀

Just make sure you have them done individually, I need 2 new ones and had surgery on both at once the 1st time and took 6 months to get going properly again, on crutches for 3. Still need the 2 new ones but work colleague has had numerous since accident 30 years ago and last one is superb

Just a quick follow up of my knee op!
Admitted 6.30 am on Monday.
Surgery successfully carried out between 11.00 am and 2.30 ish on the same day.
Nor to sure of the time as I was very groggy afterwards 😕
Quite a lot of pain afterwards, until they got the pain killers sorted.
Tuesday physio. That was two steps using a Zimmer frame and quite a lot more on sticks.
Told I would be sent home Wednesday lunch time, which turned out to be true😊
I can confirm the pain involved was quite severe, though it seems to be getting less.
I did manage to perch myself on the BMW but as expected my right knee won’t bend enough yet to allow my foot to fit on the footrest properly.
I am taking things steady, though it doesn’t seem that way I know🤭
But I’m working on my leg to hopefully regain most, or all of movement I need to be able to ride again next year 🏍👍

Well done RR, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need both kness done in a few years, I'm only 31 now but my kneecaps are shot. Riding on track brings out the pain severely which is quite annoying. But good to hear it all went smooth!

Just a quick follow up of my knee op!
Admitted 6.30 am on Monday.
Surgery successfully carried out between 11.00 am and 2.30 ish on the same day.
Nor to sure of the time as I was very groggy afterwards [emoji53]
Quite a lot of pain afterwards, until they got the pain killers sorted.
Tuesday physio. That was two steps using a Zimmer frame and quite a lot more on sticks.
Told I would be sent home Wednesday lunch time, which turned out to be true[emoji4]
I can confirm the pain involved was quite severe, though it seems to be getting less.
I did manage to perch myself on the BMW but as expected my right knee won’t bend enough yet to allow my foot to fit on the footrest properly.
I am taking things steady, though it doesn’t seem that way I know[emoji2960]
But I’m working on my leg to hopefully regain most, or all of movement I need to be able to ride again next year [emoji965][emoji106]

Glad to hear your surgery went well.
I wish you all the best for your recovery, just remember to be a “patient, patient” and all shall be well [emoji846]

Glad to hear your surgery went well.
I wish you all the best for your recovery, just remember to be a “patient, patient” and all shall be well [emoji846]

glad to hear it went well, best advice I got was to get on a push bike and just spin the pedals and works a treat as no loading on the knees.

i was fortunate to have a turbo trainer for my road bike and it massively helped getting them going and working again.

Good luck with the recovery phase, and slow and steady is the way to go.

Good Luck with the recovery Stuart, my Mum had a new knee recently, she's in her 70's and it made a big, big difference to her life and her mobility, follow the physio suggestions and recovery plan and you will get back on the bike soon.
BR
Steve

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I’ll go steady with the physio. Not a lot of options there to be honest as the pain really limits the amount of physio I can do at the moment.
Just tried sitting on my Yamaha FZ1 and can’t get my foot on the rest on that one either. It’s going to be a slow recovery i reckon😕🏍

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I’ll go steady with the physio. Not a lot of options there to be honest as the pain really limits the amount of physio I can do at the moment.
Just tried sitting on my Yamaha FZ1 and can’t get my foot on the rest on that one either. It’s going to be a slow recovery i reckon������������

Just thinking, perhaps you could get yourself a Harley and that would help the riding position?:shadow:

I did too at one point but couldn’t quite do it when push came to shove.
What I did do in the end, was to buy myself a Yamaha MT01.
Not to be confused with the MT10.
It was a big V twin of just under 1700 cc.
I loved it. Good for about 140 mph, 5,500 rpm. And it looked like a motor bike on steroids😀
Trouble was it was very heavy and very tall. That’s the two thing I didn’t need on a motorcycle, as I’m not very big myself. It was a bit of a lump to be honest, but I loved it.
Had it 4 years and in some ways, wish I still had it.

Was toying with the idea of a Harley Breakout 114, took one for a test ride and it was ok and not bad in traffic on the Motorway when filtering. Would be no good in towns and then went upstairs to collect my keys from Motorrad dealer and all them thoughts disappeared and thought of the Gen 4.

Apart from the slowing down bit don't actually know when I would have time to ride it as the bike is a mode of transport really and not just for random rides out at the moment.

Maybe in retirement????

Back