Scooter Gangs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Are scooter gangs still a thing? I have been chased by them once, but 190+ beats scooter HP every day of the week. However, there is a really interesting article in this month's Ride magazine (Ask The Lawyer) which does suggest they still exist.
* Guy riding along sees a hooded guy press pedestrian lights forcing him to stop
* Pulls his hoodie tighter when he sees bike is stopping and signal to others
* 2 up scooters appear out side street, all faces covered, and one positions itself in front of bike

...at this point the guy decides that he's about to be attacked so drives into scooter, knocks it over and gets out of there before he gets boxed in by the other scooters. Once home he starts to wonder about legal ramifications of what he did. Advice was:
Whilst his ramming of the scooter was not accidental, he could not be 100% sure that he read the situation correctly (article is just a summary, but lawyer says all signs suggest he did read it right). There is a legal requirement to report an accident when details not exchanged, so probably good practice to report it (with some case law suggesting this has to be done within 24 hours).

When I was chased I immediately reported to the police, more because I did 90+ in a 40 to get away and wanted to have some sort of defence for that if collared for it... I never got a ticket, nor was I able to give good enough details of the gang to expect the cops to be able to do anything.

Food for thought...

I think there has been a reduction since the police were given the go ahead to use tactical contact to bring a chase to an end.

But its good to stay alert.

- Alex

Not where I live.
I have seen a few Mopeds/Scooters without number plates go past where I work. The one that caught my eye was 2 up and both rider and pillion had red tech/mechanic gloves on I guess to hide finger prints.
I dont fancy riding in London but would stay alert as Alex said.

Back