Engine problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lysers

Reaction score
So after hearing slightly louder tapping for about 4 days on my gen1 my engine gave up 😢 I’ve read on forum that usually those engines are louder than Japanese bikes and I only got s1k for 2 moths so wasn’t too sure if it’s normal but when I’ve heard knock during my last ride I’ve stopped immediately and recovered to the local garage. Drained oil and we found a bit small bit of aluminium in it. Not sure yet what’s could it be but I’m afraid that I will need new engine. Absolutely devastated, don’t ignore any tapping noises guys

My gen 3 on done it last week but it dropped a valve.
There's a camshaft issue, Google bmw s1000rr camshaft failures

aluminium sounds like piston,which will more likely be a dropped valve hitting it (if it a piston)

I had mine covered by warranty on a 15model lucky enough. Entire engine was 10k. There's a post on it in s1000rr garage

I’m afraid mine isn’t cover any longer so my season is over 😭

If it happens to have a full mottorrad history take it to the dealer bmw might help with goodwill

Unfortunately last stamp from bmw dealer in service book is from 2014 :(

stick a picture up of the peice that came out,should be able to tell what it is

Ditto what Scooby says, lets see the piece as it may give a better idea of the issue.

Unfortunately guy from garage lost that piece so I can’t send any photo of it, tomorrow hopefully I’ll know something more when they take top of the engine off. Interesting engine still running without jumping revs or anything, obviously we started it on new oil just for a few seconds but that rattling noise remain the same. We found as well some very thin shreds of aluminium in oil filter 🤔 Need to wait until tomorrow to find out a bit more, thanks for replying guys

shreds/shards sounds more like gear box,but again without seeing is hard to tell.might seem a stupid question,but the peice of metal wasn't stuck on the magnet in the sump plug was it

No we tried magnet and it didn’t stick to magnet that’s why I assuming it’s aluminium

was going to say ;)

from memory it's only the pistons then that are ally.

So the cam shaft gone, smashed valve cap and valve dropped. Engine need rebuild or need a spare engine not sure what to do now 😭🙈

That is a real downer.
In the opening post were you saying you had only just bought it 2 months ago? Or that you noticed a noise 2 months ago?

Phil Crowe might be worth a call, see what the parts cost from him.

Else try to find a donor engine from a salvage co.

- Alex

Yes bought bike 2 months ago, only 1 month warranty from shop and extended warranty I read got claim limit £500 so fully screwed right now noise started about week or so ago was running ok at the beginning

Yes bought bike 2 months ago, only 1 month warranty from shop and extended warranty I read got claim limit £500 so fully screwed right now noise started about week or so ago was running ok at the beginning

That's a real bummer.

What I usually read on forums is people try to make a case to BMW HQ to pay either fully or partially for repairs...

Otherwise there are few engines on ebay ranging between 1200-2500.

Also, try giving HM racing a call. They do have engines as well.

Will try to get in touch with them but don’t have any hopes that they will be interested to participate in repair

That's a real bummer.

What I usually read on forums is people try to make a case to BMW HQ to pay either fully or partially for repairs...

There is only a chance of bmw uk goodwill if the bike has FBMWSH. This is an old (comparatively) bike so I doubt you'd get any support for it unfortunately.

Back