Engine problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lysers

Reaction score
So after hearing slightly louder tapping for about 4 days on my gen1 my engine gave up šŸ˜¢ Iā€™ve read on forum that usually those engines are louder than Japanese bikes and I only got s1k for 2 moths so wasnā€™t too sure if itā€™s normal but when Iā€™ve heard knock during my last ride Iā€™ve stopped immediately and recovered to the local garage. Drained oil and we found a bit small bit of aluminium in it. Not sure yet whatā€™s could it be but Iā€™m afraid that I will need new engine. Absolutely devastated, donā€™t ignore any tapping noises guys

My gen 3 on done it last week but it dropped a valve.
There's a camshaft issue, Google bmw s1000rr camshaft failures

aluminium sounds like piston,which will more likely be a dropped valve hitting it (if it a piston)

I had mine covered by warranty on a 15model lucky enough. Entire engine was 10k. There's a post on it in s1000rr garage

Iā€™m afraid mine isnā€™t cover any longer so my season is over šŸ˜­

If it happens to have a full mottorrad history take it to the dealer bmw might help with goodwill

Unfortunately last stamp from bmw dealer in service book is from 2014 :(

stick a picture up of the peice that came out,should be able to tell what it is

Ditto what Scooby says, lets see the piece as it may give a better idea of the issue.

Unfortunately guy from garage lost that piece so I canā€™t send any photo of it, tomorrow hopefully Iā€™ll know something more when they take top of the engine off. Interesting engine still running without jumping revs or anything, obviously we started it on new oil just for a few seconds but that rattling noise remain the same. We found as well some very thin shreds of aluminium in oil filter šŸ¤” Need to wait until tomorrow to find out a bit more, thanks for replying guys

shreds/shards sounds more like gear box,but again without seeing is hard to tell.might seem a stupid question,but the peice of metal wasn't stuck on the magnet in the sump plug was it

No we tried magnet and it didnā€™t stick to magnet thatā€™s why I assuming itā€™s aluminium

was going to say ;)

from memory it's only the pistons then that are ally.

So the cam shaft gone, smashed valve cap and valve dropped. Engine need rebuild or need a spare engine not sure what to do now šŸ˜­šŸ™ˆ

That is a real downer.
In the opening post were you saying you had only just bought it 2 months ago? Or that you noticed a noise 2 months ago?

Phil Crowe might be worth a call, see what the parts cost from him.

Else try to find a donor engine from a salvage co.

- Alex

Yes bought bike 2 months ago, only 1 month warranty from shop and extended warranty I read got claim limit Ā£500 so fully screwed right now noise started about week or so ago was running ok at the beginning

Yes bought bike 2 months ago, only 1 month warranty from shop and extended warranty I read got claim limit Ā£500 so fully screwed right now noise started about week or so ago was running ok at the beginning

That's a real bummer.

What I usually read on forums is people try to make a case to BMW HQ to pay either fully or partially for repairs...

Otherwise there are few engines on ebay ranging between 1200-2500.

Also, try giving HM racing a call. They do have engines as well.

Will try to get in touch with them but donā€™t have any hopes that they will be interested to participate in repair

That's a real bummer.

What I usually read on forums is people try to make a case to BMW HQ to pay either fully or partially for repairs...

There is only a chance of bmw uk goodwill if the bike has FBMWSH. This is an old (comparatively) bike so I doubt you'd get any support for it unfortunately.

Back