Gen 3 ENGINE! Warning

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylezx7r

Reaction score
Took my gen 3 out for a spin yesterday after putting all the track bits on it .

The ENGINE! Warning message is constantly on the dash but the bike runs great and pulls like train

Can anyone save me some time and tell me what throws up this warning,?
I’m guessing it’s a wire or a sensor somewhere that I’ve messed with but with diagnostics kit I’m searching in the dark.

Anyone had this and can give me a start point to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could just be throttle calib.
Impossible to say without reading the fault codes

- Alex

Could just be throttle calib.
Impossible to say without reading the fault codes

- Alex

Yeah I thought that myself after having the RS2E tune and throttle mod done but I’ve emailed Rainer and he says it won’t be that.

if it's throttle related (be it twist grip or bodies) it will go into limp mode so wont be that.

impossible to say tbh with out a diag. run on the GS unit

but,knowing what these bikes are like,if it's anything major,it will go into limp mode so can only assume it's a minor sensor,or just having a brain fart.try disconnecting battery,making sure it's fully charged and try again

Ok so whilst I was sitting ripping into my 3 snakebite I remembered I had one of those cheap Chinese OBD code readers in my toolbox

Plugged it in and the 4 codes below came up, all relating to throttle sensor .
I’ve Cleared the codes and now the ENGINE warning has vanished .........

I can’t start the engine until tomorrow as it’s got no oil in but hopefully that’s it

I don’t think for a second it’s going to as easy as that though

9c4e65ae828e79d3f4fb0657f3c2258a.jpg

cd7655bc4b64289c41d2e455977b1d8a.jpg

Before starting, turn IGN on and leave for 30secs to 1 min, then off for 30secs then start. That should allow the throttle butterflies to calibrate

Before starting, turn IGN on and leave for 30secs to 1 min, then off for 30secs then start. That should allow the throttle butterflies to calibrate

Thanks bud yeah I’ll do that

Thanks bud yeah I’ll do that

It doesn't any sense tho.

Rs2e throttle mod doesn't touch the butterflies, it just shortens the throttle twist. The whole idea behind calibration with gs911 is that you teach ecu a new WOT position.

It doesn't any sense tho.

Rs2e throttle mod doesn't touch the butterflies, it just shortens the throttle twist. The whole idea behind calibration with gs911 is that you teach ecu a new WOT position.

I’m open to suggestions then

I’m open to suggestions then

When I got ECU from RS2E I did turn on the bike as per instructions (before I re-calibrated the throttle) and I don't recall seeing ENGINE! thingie. So I have no ideas.

Do you have access to gs911/dealer to re-calibrate the throttle ? If not, one thing to try (as others suggested to me in RS2E thread) is to hold WOT for 10 seconds, letting ECU learn a new position. I have no idea whether this actually works, but people did suggest it.

Last edited:
as above does work.

turn ign. on,open throttle fully(proper fully) hold for 3 seconds,fully close,turn off ign. then turn back on.try that.

sounds same as mine when i get a twist grip fault,but mine goes into limp mode when it does that.

1 thing i would do though,is forget about a hm blipper (even though i have 1 for sale) and use the money to buy a gs unit,dont know what i'd do without mine,saved me countless times,plus you'll get most of your money back when you sell it

as above does work.

turn ign. on,open throttle fully(proper fully) hold for 3 seconds,fully close,turn off ign. then turn back on.try that.

sounds same as mine when i get a twist grip fault,but mine goes into limp mode when it does that.

1 thing i would do though,is forget about a hm blipper (even though i have 1 for sale) and use the money to buy a gs unit,dont know what i'd do without mine,saved me countless times,plus you'll get most of your money back when you sell it

I had one but sold it haha
I keep meaning to buy an RCK kit, maybe I should buy one now .

Regards the blipper , not sure if you are the same guy on FB or not who has one for sake but I’ve got a trackday on Thursday so I’m going to see how it goes. If I can’t get used to the gear lever travel then I’ll be looking for an alternative like yours

same guy :)

if it's just for diagnostic stuff,the gs911 is much better than the rck3,and a lot cheaper.you need the red wifi version though for gen3

as above does work.

How much is the HM blipper up for at the moment?
W

same guy :)

if it's just for diagnostic stuff,the gs911 is much better than the rck3,and a lot cheaper.you need the red wifi version though for gen3

I've barely used my RCK since getting it, it didn't even get rid of the !DDC error. So tbh the GS911 would have sufficed.

Oh well, that was an easy fix

Cleared the code with £30 code reader , fired the bike up this morning and engine warning has gone and not returned so far .

Happy days .

Back