Running Rough..again

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
This years probably been the least I've used my bike since 2015... probs done only 4-5 k mainly weather related and being slaughtered at work [emoji3] $$$$$$$.... the only upside of running your own show..

Anyhow, jumped on her last night, running RAF at idle... suspect air/fuel again. (Lamda sensor again I bet)... was considering ditching the insured warranty last month, glad I didn't... dropped bike into EK... so will see how it pans out..

Hope alls well with everyone on here.. !

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

This years probably been the least I've used my bike since 2015... probs done only 4-5 k mainly weather related and being slaughtered at work [emoji3] $$$$$$$.... the only upside of running your own show..

Anyhow, jumped on her last night, running RAF at idle... suspect air/fuel again. (Lamda sensor again I bet)... was considering ditching the insured warranty last month, glad I didn't... dropped bike into EK... so will see how it pans out..

Hope alls well with everyone on here.. !

Only done 4-5k!!!! I've had mine for 3 year, and it only just turned 5k!!! Wish I could use it more than I do.

Hopefully it is just the lambda again, but they shouldn't fail that quickly

Things to check.
Airbox seal round filter
Exhaust for holes/fitment issues
Fault codes

- Alex

Only done 4-5k!!!! I've had mine for 3 year, and it only just turned 5k!!! Wish I could use it more than I do.

Hopefully it is just the lambda again, but they shouldn't fail that quickly
Lol... Island life Kenny..

Arghhhh.. bikes hunting again at idle... thought it was ok last weekend, but had it out yesterday same story as before...

Tech in EK couldn't pick up any faults, so just reset everything, he took it out for a few blasts and found it OK.. granted last weekends run to Oban seemed fine although truth be told I wasn't 100% convinced as there was no definitive diagnosis..

Sitting at lights or a junction now I'm conscious of tacho fluctuating slightly and the inevitable happening as it did yesterday, just cutout on me, seems to be gassing up and choking on its on mixture.....

Tech discounted drawing air from Airbox as Alex suggested... starting to bug the shit out me now... might just start my winter overhaul early and get her up on the bench..

Running fine under moderate to hard use..

Last edited:
Arghhhh.. bikes hunting again at idle... thought it was ok last weekend, but had it out yesterday same story as before...

Tech in EK couldn't pick up any faults, so just reset everything, he took it out for a few blasts and found it OK.. granted last weekends run to Oban seemed fine although truth be told I wasn't 100% convinced as there was no definitive diagnosis..

Sitting at lights or a junction now I'm conscious of tacho fluctuating slightly and the inevitable happening as it did yesterday, just cutout on me, seems to be gassing up and choking on its on mixture.....

Tech discounted drawing air from Airbox as Alex suggested... starting to bug the shit out me now... might just start my winter overhaul early and get her up on the bench..

Running fine under moderate to hard use..

Unlikely but, you sure it’s not just a bad batch of petrol at your local garage?

New plugs 11k ago.... it's not fuel, stuck a full tank of super premium or whatever its called in it earlier today.... ran at least 50 miles after filling and thrashed it in places...tried a throttle test .. trying to hold it at 3k its really erratic and climbed to 8 or 9k... check video I took just there...

By the way I was holding the throttle dead on 3k... that wasn't me moving my wrist even a fraction !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VPPPJceH4pRUomwR7

Last edited:
Looking at your mileage, is it due a major service? My bet is on the TPS (just a guess could be anything).

I think I would get the injectors cleaned on an ASNU machine.

Direct Automotive Diagnostics are in Paisley.

- Alex

Cheers for that... was thinking the TPS/Throttle Body issues.... not really Soof... last service was 27k Feb 19... due one in a 1 or 2k...actually 2nd major should be 36k so not that far off..

Thats a Grey area on the insured warranty... unless its an electrical component. Hmmmm

I'll let the Tech look at the video .. held at 3 or 4k it shouldn't sky rocket like that..

Last edited:
New plugs 11k ago.... it's not fuel, stuck a full tank of super premium or whatever its called in it earlier today.... ran at least 50 miles after filling and thrashed it in places...tried a throttle test .. trying to hold it at 3k its really erratic and climbed to 8 or 9k... check video I took just there...

By the way I was holding the throttle dead on 3k... that wasn't me moving my wrist even a fraction !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VPPPJceH4pRUomwR7

No! That’s not right.....TPS as the soofsayer is all I got...

This all sounds very similar to issues I had with an F800ST a few years back, and that was indeed fixed when the TPS was replaced - kept cutting out as I came up to lights, jumpy rev counter at idle etc. One time it started revving its own nuts off in neutral when I was 6ft away from it - when I told the technicians about that we agreed it needed a new TPS... or an exorcism :)

"The Power of Christ Compelled Me" to call the dealers after Father Merrin had dropped by !
f51985f2c64ad96e1b2d835147ec7a41.gif

Brief update: Dropped machine into E.K @ the weekend there... Tech called me yesterday.. Diagnostic check...nil faults..

They have an HP4 for sale... 2k miles, he done a side by side test on that throttle hold thing..... apparantly the 2k bike reacted the same as mine !

So it would appear the TPS is not the problem...however, theres defo an issue as it gasses up and chokes at lights/junctions (not in every case).. but you don't own a bike for 4 years and cover 30k miles on it and not know it's foibles... give the lad his due he's spent some time on it but nothings apparent .. i'm getting frustrated as is he...he says the induction side on these things seldom go wrong...

I just need it sorted, thinking plugs or 2nd Lamda (but no fault found mind you).. so no further forward... might borrow Jimmy's GS911 and spend time on it myself... arghhhhhh...

Last edited:
Tech called today... block connector on Left bank lambda sensor has corrosion.... tried to clean it up bit his Snap On terminal cleaner was too big... so new parts being ordered... could be the problem...
c8f3203eb4ccdbb3a8e6a41c61a47e62.jpg
b9cd177a032c1925846594da42d8de3f.jpg
0533525785c1a8bf02868d435869e364.jpg
ff92e8f0a88c493aa1439f7590fa7c2b.jpg

Back