Soofs Gen4 rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around 150 miles this morning, still on the limiter but some new observations.

Started to play around with the mode settings a bit more. Having been riding with dynamic mode I thought I would try some of the race mode pro options. This allows for changes to the ddc, dtc, wheelie, throttle, engine braking. There are loads of adjustments that can be made. What I immediately found was having the bike is race pro (with any configuration) dramatically hardened the damping (bit obvious as the mode is meant for track only). Even with the softest ddc setting it was still too hard. The change was night and day from dynamic (nice and smooth, most bumps ironed out) to race pro where I felt my fillings would start falling out. On the country A and B roads up here the bike was almost unrideable in race pro, or just race for that matter. After a few experimental runs I settled back into dynamic and the bike felt so much better and in control. I think I will leave race pro alone until tracktime.

I recently noticed that the bmw connected app wants to have location services active all the time so I changed the setting to only when in use (to avoid battery drain). The bike/app wont log any rides or display the speed limit on the screen without the app first being launched on the phone now, whereas before it was automatically using the phone gps without launching the app.

When I started the bike up this morning, it ran for a couple of seconds, then started to splutter, then died. Fired it again and it started and ran fine although I noticed liquid drops (I presume water?) being spat out of the exhaust for a few minutes. Anyone else have this?

When I started the bike up this morning, it ran for a couple of seconds, then started to splutter, then died. Fired it again and it started and ran fine although I noticed liquid drops (I presume water?) being spat out of the exhaust for a few minutes. Anyone else have this?

I've had the same issue, done nearly 2k miles and it regularly does it, mentioned it at my fist service and was told the demonstrator dose the same

I've had the same issue, done nearly 2k miles and it regularly does it, mentioned it at my fist service and was told the demonstrator dose the same

Mines does it too. Runs like a bag of shit for a few minutes when first started and it’s cut out a couple of times but it’s fine after a couple of minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines does it too. Runs like a bag of shit for a few minutes when first started and it’s cut out a couple of times but it’s fine after a couple of minutes

Are you happy/ok with this? Doesn't seem right does it even though the demo bike does it :hopelessness:

Are you happy/ok with this? Doesn't seem right does it even though the demo bike does it :hopelessness:

Like I said, only when it’s first started it’s lumpy then it smooths out and only when it’s stone cold.
By the time my helmet and gloves are on it’s fine. Not had any issues with it

Rode to work today and although it kicked out a few droplets on startup, no issues with cutting out. Warms up very quickly too.

I would imagine the problem with stuttering/cutting out when cold,is because the fuelling will be on the low side due to emissions regs.Obviously,when cold ,the engine requires more fuel.
I haven't had the problem but I prefer to give mine a light blip whilst it warms up.

Yeah mine did the same. Better now since having a software update and the throttle bodies changed. Was getting a scary message on my dash which, if I didn't switch the engine off and on, got me 11mph at full throttle in 1st :smile-new:

RRenginefault.jpg

Last edited:
Got out on the bike today for the longest ride yet, just over 200 miles from York over to Kendal and back. Enough miles now to get the run in service done, I will be booking it in tomorrow.

On the way up I decided to take the boring route A1, A66. Coming back was more fun across the Dales.

Observations from today:

The sat nav function/connected phone app is excellent. Directions on the bike screen are clear and accurate with the usual countdown graphics etc. I dont have a headset in my current helmet so I can’t comment on the voice prompts during the navigation, but it’s not really needed unless you are not paying any attention to what you are doing. The connected app gives you options on the type of route with a slider for how winding you like the roads along with all the usual avoidance options etc. You can plot waypoints, import gpx routes, so its really very useful, and I expect will continue to develop over time.

Cruise Control. Tick.

Heated grips. Discovered there are 3 settings. Today was on the chilly side so I gave them a try. Setting 3 is the warmest which is hot! 2 is probably around where I recall the old 1 dot setting was on the previous gen bikes. 1 is like a very slight warming, not enough to make your hands feel hot, but enough to keep the cold off. I rode home with the grips on 1 and forgot I had it on but my hands never got cold. This is a nice improvement over previous gens.

Vibes. On my bike with the cc on 55mph (in 50mph roadworks) is exactly 4k rpm and that seems to be the sweet spot for killer vibes. Everything vibrates like fook. Above it and below is fine, but at 4k its happy time for the ladies. I dont think bar ends are the answer unless they stop the pegs, tank and mirrors resonating. Realistically its not a day to day problem, just something I noticed in the roadworks.

Bike balance. Superb. Because it is so light I could sit happily with the cc on (at 55) with no hands, and steer the bike easily with my legs/bodyweight with subtle inputs. I have done this on my GSA across Spain when I got bored on the motorways and that bike took a lot of input to keep in a straight line. The rr is just lovely and light and moves around immediately on inputs. And no hint of right steer assist.

Noise. There is a very noticeable change in the exhaust note when it passes 6k rpm. I presume the flaps are opened at that point? If there’s a workaround to have them permanently open that might be the answer to some of the noise complaints. I noticed I get an elastic band type of buzzing/twang coming from the bike at the magic 4k rpm, could just be the thing shaking itself to pieces, I will ask to investigate when it goes in. Otherwise it is very tappety low down.

Screen. The standard screen is too small so the wind blast can only be overcome by getting tucked in. This seems to be standard practice with all the rr generations.

Cornering. So its a race bike really. The problem with road riding is the tendency (and need) to sit up to get a better view. Although the bike is perfectly stable and runs into and out or corners fine when sat up, it feels so much more improved and the feedback from the ddc is leaps ahead when I am tucked in and over the tank. Both CoG and weight over the front make a huge difference and on this bike its no different (imo).

When I set off today I was thinking to myself ‘this isn’t a sports tourer, its a race bike, this is going to hurt’ but as the miles went on I was pleasantly surprised how capable the bike is at mile munching. Ok the seat is rock hard, but it isn’t designed for hours in the saddle, and can be fixed. The rest of the bike is actually a lot better as a tourer than I was expecting. Would I go on a tour on it, never say never. But it really belongs on track. Cant wait.

Took mine out today and total on the clock is a massive 65 miles.
This is my first beemer so I'm going to compare it to my L7 gixer I've had for 2 years.
The riding position is very similar so felt right at home straight away. Yes the seat is firm but no more so than the foam that will be on the track farings.

The quick shifter,blipper seems smoother on the gixer ie there's more resistance more effort to engage on the beemer.

I put it race shift and wondered how the dreaded neutral would work. A bit hit and miss, some times it would go in and other times I gave up. Did find it going in 99% of the time if rolling and going in from second.

The brakes seem very similar in feel to start with but are very impressive on the beemer.
The clutch took about 10 mins to get used to and never found I was having to rev the b@locks off it to pull away.

Vibes in the throttle are no worse than most bikes I've owned, if not less so. The right mirror is not worth looking in but the left is fine.

I was disappointed with the sound of bikes I heard on track with full systems on. But now having ridden mine with standard can I love it. The induction and wereing noise that kicks in is beautiful and takes my mind off what's coming out the back.

The gixer is a phennominal bike and I can't fault it and I was questioning why I was even getting rid.
But even after the short spin today I can see I'm going to love this bike and it will be one hell of a track weapon.

Sorry soof didn't mean to hijack your thread but didn't see the point of starting another as I'm not going to keep reporting on the matter.

No problem godfather, its good to get your feedback.

Having just read your post it reminded me I missed something out, so thanks:

My clutch is shite. I have to rev quite a bit to pull away without stalling. The usual gentle roll on, let it out, ends in embarrassment every time. I am hoping the clutch washer fix will help cure this if they are prepared to do it.

Pretty positive then Soof give or take a few points... testament to the engineers that the bikes an absolute weapon yet is good for nipping about on...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Plucked up the courage to fit the evotech tail tidy this afternoon (reason for the trepidation is I can strip a bolt just by looking at it and have a canny knack of breaking un breakable bits). Taken me 3 hours to finish lol. The instructions are more of a ‘guess what this picture is?’. Fundamentally the process was very straightforward but for some reason the plastics on the rear of my bike must be 1mm out on the frame so I spent at least an hour or so trying to get the evotech plate to fit flush with the bodywork. Got there in the end but my knees and back are worse for it. The evotech unit is much heavier than the oe part, but is a big cosmetic improvement.

Reason for posting mainly was to note that the fairing attachment system for this gen 4 is much better imo than previous gens. On previous models there is the push pull fitments, which still exists, but now bmw have realised that by using removable metal female clips instead of plastic on plastic, the whole system should stand up better to being used without the old problem of plastic bits breaking off. Taking the two rear frame fairings off and on was very easy once I had worked out how to pull the plastics off. Its a better solution and will make changing bike clothes much easier, plus the plastics seem to be decent quality (despite some early reports of them being flimsy). It is frustrating there is no service manual available that shows all the fairings fixings and fitments so a little bit of trial and error.

Plucked up the courage to fit the evotech tail tidy this afternoon (reason for the trepidation is I can strip a bolt just by looking at it and have a canny knack of breaking un breakable bits). Taken me 3 hours to finish lol. The instructions are more of a ‘guess what this picture is?’. Fundamentally the process was very straightforward but for some reason the plastics on the rear of my bike must be 1mm out on the frame so I spent at least an hour or so trying to get the evotech plate to fit flush with the bodywork. Got there in the end but my knees and back are worse for it. The evotech unit is much heavier than the oe part, but is a big cosmetic improvement.

Reason for posting mainly was to note that the fairing attachment system for this gen 4 is much better imo than previous gens. On previous models there is the push pull fitments, which still exists, but now bmw have realised that by using removable metal female clips instead of plastic on plastic, the whole system should stand up better to being used without the old problem of plastic bits breaking off. Taking the two rear frame fairings off and on was very easy once I had worked out how to pull the plastics off. Its a better solution and will make changing bike clothes much easier, plus the plastics seem to be decent quality (despite some early reports of them being flimsy). It is frustrating there is no service manual available that shows all the fairings fixings and fitments so a little bit of trial and error.

Andy....did u take any pics of the Evotech tail tidy installed?

After many months of waiting I got to collect it today after the brake calipers were changed for new by the dealer. Also got them to fit the SS headers and the Gilles levers and rearsets.

Feels like Christmas getting a new toy as it only had 600 miles on it from running in when I discovered the brake problem at the start of the year.

Need to re read the manual again as some of the settings don?t seem to do what I expected.

3ee1a3ae218c2af8292d5ebf7f21dbab.jpg

8b0fcd0d3000cc7fedae52d5c5b9f963.jpg

The fueling seems to be spot on. The noise on startup is hilariously loud, ideal for neighborly relations.

Back