Soofs Gen4 rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
My bike arrived yesterday. It’s been a long wait and tbh I have considered cancelling my order a few times, partly due to the delays and partly due to some of the negative feedback.

Didn’t have a chance to ride it yesterday as work beckoned but as soon as I got home last night I was in to the garage to start doing the bits.

First off, the Arka carbon slip on. Then the evotech crash bungs, front and rear axle spindle protectors and the lcd screen protector.

AJ had very kindly fitted BMW rad and oil cooler guards for me.

This morning first job was to clean the chain. The white muck bmw use flings everywhere so after some patience and perseverance the muck was replaced with wurth dry lube.

Then out for first ride. I had only sat on a bike in the dealership and it’s been near 18 months since I had the HP4 so I was expecting it to be quicker than anything I had been on for a while. Oh yes! Even with the 9k rpm restriction and in road mode the bike just pulls in an almost ‘electric’ fashion. It’s instant, no lag to speak of, and the acceleration is smooth and progressive which makes it sound dull but it definitely is not. Easily up to illegal speeds in a couple of seconds, overtakes are hilariously easy in any speed in any gear. Ok so it’s very quick. I think that’s a given.

Riding it feels so light that tipping into a corner is a little unnerving as the bike just falls in, no gradual lean fighting the bars. I didn’t get over 32 degrees on the first 50 miles this morning. Partly down to the tyres (never used Power RS before) and the rear skipping out early on made me realise that these tyres need to get warm before you can play. It’s going to take me a while to build up the confidence to get into the 40-50 degree stuff, hopefully by 6 tonight lol.

Gearbox. No issues whatsoever. Neutral was easy to find, no different from any sports bike. If you’re trying to find neutral from standstill in 1 it might be a bit tricky but rolling up to a stop and dropping it in, no issues. Quick shifter and blipper were seemless. Clutch was a little grabby at full release as it only bites at the end and needs a handful more revs to prevent a stall, same as it was on the HP4.

Screen is great. Does everything it need to along with the connected app nav functionality etc there is nothing else you could want I don’t think. The only slight niggle I had was with the switchgear. Each time I used the indicators it was easy to accidentally touch the rotational controller and change screen read outs, but other than than no issues.

Looks. I think it looks great from every angle apart from the front. This imo is the money shot.

ed608df58457746e14490720bbee1700.jpg

From the front I personally think it’s a bit of a
minger but it’s not important.

DDC. Much better than the HP4, pretty smooth everywhere and never did I feel I was being bumped around.

Seat. Should be called the plank. Clearly not designed for doing any miles. Need to get that upgraded. Interesting I found the seating position higher than I had expected, I think it might be higher than the Gen 3, or I’ve shrunk, but expect someone can pull out the facts and prove me wrong.

So far very happy with the bike although it’s only the first few hours of ownership. The settings are endless so I don’t think I am going to easily get bored of playing around with it.

As a bit of a bonus, I found that a disc lock fits very nicely in the space under the rear seat cowl (without a factory alarm).

f9a438ee3fc7ed5a5a5a3052ecfd26bd.jpg

b7c9540db86d99449e2d16f6512164cd.jpg

Congratulations on the new bike Andy. Stunning bike and very well done on the patients mate not sure I’d have waited. Many happy miles heading your way though. [emoji7][emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the amazing new steed Soof!

Was a throughly enjoyable read and am looking forward to the second instalment already [emoji41]

Those chicken/safety strips seriously need to go though [emoji2957]

Congratulations on the new bike Andy. Stunning bike and very well done on the patients mate not sure I’d have waited. Many happy miles heading your way though. [emoji7][emoji1305]

Thanks skel, it is starting to feel autumnal so I think any later and I may have bailed out.

Congratulations on the amazing new steed Soof!

Was a throughly enjoyable read and am looking forward to the second instalment already [emoji41]

Those chicken/safety strips seriously need to go though [emoji2957]

Thanks Oli, yes you are right but it is really a bit weird initially as virtually no countersteer and it just falls in. I havent been on any roads where I can get some pace and cornering safely so although the strips have become thighs they are still very apparent. I went to watch my team play rugby this afternoon (currently carrying a leg injury which isnt helping positioning on the bike but a poor excuse) and on the way back a r9t pulled out behind me and followed me through town, oh the shame of having a brand new super bike with chicken strips as wide as the A1.

Congrats on new bike!

Thanks BBB.

Very nice

Thanks, hows the duc?

Your house looks very posh.

Its not a bad spot, cant complain. ;)

Glad to see you have finally gotten her. We don't have to mutiny over the forum [emoji14]

That can is big for a slip on...is it a decent change in pitch or do you not know?

- Alex

Belter Soof !... thats side elevation is most definitely a Peter North money shot , I actually like nose on too if I'm honest.

Those Power RS are excellent.. I've tons of footage on my rear facing camera they leave a very definite black line on corners med to hard throttle, confidence booster lines lol... drop the pressures, I run 30/32...never stepped out of line.

Good to see you back on it !... buy cycling shorts for that chair...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Stunning bike Andy :cool:

Thanks mac. I saw one with a pillion seat at the dealer last week, it was more of a perch. You could get her her own bike and get one of these for you?

Glad to see you have finally gotten her. We don't have to mutiny over the forum [emoji14]

That can is big for a slip on...is it a decent change in pitch or do you not know?

- Alex

It didnt seem that big when i was putting it on, if anything slightly smaller than the ti one on the hp4 with the same setup. No idea on the noise prior to now. Now, its ok. My brain hasn’t really been paying attention to noise when I am on the bike.

Belter Soof !... thats side elevation is most definitely a Peter North money shot , I actually like nose on too if I'm honest.

Those Power RS are excellent.. I've tons of footage on my rear facing camera they leave a very definite black line on corners med to hard throttle, confidence booster lines lol... drop the pressures, I run 30/32...never stepped out of line.

Good to see you back on it !... buy cycling shorts for that chair...

Thanks stu. Yes it certainly felt good to be on something so quick again. Cycle shorts, good thinking. I was running 34/38 so thats not surprising I had it let go. Will give that a try.

Gen 4 M Sport

Very nice! Good to see your bike has finally arrived.

Managed a 97 mile run today. Great weather here.

Observations:

- Didnt feel a massive difference riding in dynamic mode from road mode, other than the ddc being a bit bouncy on the rear, front was still really smooth. Maybe the throttle was more responsive but I didn’t notice.

- Max speed in 6 with the run in limiter at 9k rpm is 124mph (according to someone I met in the pub your honour).

- Just over 100 miles between tank fills seems to be the current run rate. I used to get 120+ out of my hp4, maybe the engine will loosen up and mpg/range will improve.

- Standard rearsets are plenty grippy (in the dry). Levers work fine. I cant see any point upgrading them just yet.

- Brakes are excellent. Front feels great and stops well. I certainly did not experience any lack of initial bite. Hayes are part of Brembo I believe? Back brake works too, which must be a first on a s1000rr. Mine doesnt have much travel before it engages and the application is soft which suits me fine.

- Seat is hard as previously mentioned by many owners, but the benefit is I can feel exactly where the edge of the seat is on my arse. I can also feel everything the rear is doing which feels reassuring in corners.

All round it feels very accomplished, its easy to forget there is 200+ bhp in there as the bike just zips along without fuss. So far so good.

Yeah cheers for doing the deal. You had great taste with the parts I stole off you! Hows the ducati?

Haha no probs.
Ducati is mega, love it to bits and glad I went that way over the BMW to be honest. May not be as complete of a package but far more entertainment, drama and way prettier to my eyes.

But I look forward to being smoked by lots of them on track in the near future!

Haha no probs.
Ducati is mega, love it to bits and glad I went that way over the BMW to be honest. May not be as complete of a package but far more entertainment, drama and way prettier to my eyes.

But I look forward to being smoked by lots of them on track in the near future!

I doubt you would see any in next 2 years. yamaha r1 is taking over now.

Back