Gen 4 Neutral issues - Solution

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah it hasn't helped mine although I've only done about 100 miles on it. Given the new clutch design coming there must be something more to the problem. Running out of nice weather to try it on so it'll be 'roll on Spring' for a full test.

My dealer just confirmed as well. There are redesigned clutches and he ordered one in for me, but he doubts we will see them before December.

Rode in to Liverpool yesterday, it started pissing down but I had to laugh because of the sat nav, heated grips and cruise, then the neutral issue emerged in traffic to remind me of the bike’s only imperfection. I only remembered to hit the kill switch rather than piss around after I was almost back home and my clutch hand was already goosed - but all I could think of was how awesome the thing is.

I’ve took my bike to the Rotherham dealer today to book it in for the oil cooler recall. I mentioned that it wasn’t possible to select neutral while the bike was stationary and the engine running. They checked the clutch adjustment and chain tension and then had a test ride. The mechanic agreed it was a problem and they’ve ordered a modified clutch kit and an oil flow restrictor for it. Apparently the restrictor cuts the amount of oil the clutch is running in to make less drag. The parts will be available from next week.
Cheers
Chris

I’ve took my bike to the Rotherham dealer today to book it in for the oil cooler recall. I mentioned that it wasn’t possible to select neutral while the bike was stationary and the engine running. They checked the clutch adjustment and chain tension and then had a test ride. The mechanic agreed it was a problem and they’ve ordered a modified clutch kit and an oil flow restrictor for it. Apparently the restrictor cuts the amount of oil the clutch is running in to make less drag. The parts will be available from next week.
Cheers
Chris
The oil restrictor doesn't work.

Cheers
Chris

I had the restrictor fitted to mine last month. Made no difference. There is a new clutch design due out anytime soon but they won't order it until they try the restrictor first. It's a fair approach but make sure you are completely happy once they do the first mod. It's clear there is a clutch issue as there's a re-design. I've been told the parts for the Oil cooler won't be available until December so I'm just going to wait for both and get it all done together. Looking forward to the Spring :beguiled:

Oh dear! Hopefully they’ll let em order the clutch and the restrictor at the same time, but if not I don’t mind. At least it should be sorted for next year.....

Just picked my bike up from the dealer. I got the new redesigned clutch and it's like heaven. Not comparable to the old clutch. No shifting issues, no neutral issues...just awesome!

Just picked my bike up from the dealer. I got the new redesigned clutch and it's like heaven. Not comparable to the old clutch. No shifting issues, no neutral issues...just awesome!

Has the 'grabbing' been eliminated on quick take offs? e.g. race starts. STM in my gen 3 sorted it.

Yes. The redesigned clutch works and feels like a proper clutch should :)
How do you know it's a resigned clutch? Does it have a different part number? Very unusual for a big corporation to put something "redesigned" in without making it a default replacement part for a wider user base.

I've never seen anyone mentioning new clutches on US forum either.

Last edited:
How do you know it's a resigned clutch? Does it have a different part number? Very unusual for a big corporation to put something "redesigned" in without making it a default replacement part for a wider user base.

I've never seen anyone mentioning new clutches on US forum either.
Yes. Dealer said it’s a completely redesigned clutch including new part number. New bikes will obviously get it right off the production line. Already sold bikes will only get it if you have issues with your existing clutch. So, if you do have issues with your clutch, go to your dealer and start whining like I did.

Yes. Dealer said it’s a completely redesigned clutch including new part number. New bikes will obviously get it right off the production line. Already sold bikes will only get it if you have issues with your existing clutch. So, if you do have issues with your clutch, go to your dealer and start whining like I did.

Understood, thank you for confirming this!

Great news, that means my inbound bike will get this also off the production line at the factory.

This must be the only gen 4 issue my bikes not had. Oh well something else to look forward to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This must be the only gen 4 issue my bikes not had. Oh well something else to look forward to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not something that will appear so you've nothing to worry about on that front.
Mine was problematic but seems to have improved so I'm not going to pursue it being done atm.

Back