Gen 4 Neutral issues - Solution

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noxx

Reaction score
My dealer just told me that BMW have issued a fix for the neutral issues on the Gen 4. Basically there’s too much oil flow in the clutch which causes the clutch to be unable to release properly. BMW has sent out washers to the dealers that are to be installed somewhere in the clutch which will restrict oil flow and that is supposed to fix the neutral issues completely.

Great to have the confirmation - the chap mentioning a 'fix' the other day was clearly on the right path. I'd credit him too if I could find the post!

So I spoke to AJ earlier as my bike is being delivered on friday. They said there were no outstanding recalls for the chassis number. Is there a bmw technical bulletin reference (Tim?) for this fix?

That cure makes sense.That was my theory the other day.Gearchange was faultless and neutral also.I then stopped the bike for a few minutes,moved it 50mts and neutral was impossible to find.
Presumably excess oil was making the clutch drag.
I also noticed clutch judder when slipping the clutch moving slowly(this could also possibly be the slipper clutch,but more likely due to too much oil).

I will also be bringing up the subject with Tim tomorrow,as mine is in there now.

Last edited:
Mines going into Pidcock’s at Long Eaton tomorrow for its first service. I’ll see if they’ve heard anything about it. Mines also a tricky little beast to find too!

Had a call back earlier about this from the dealer. Apparently the fix is done on bikes with the issue reported by the user. Not all bikes are having problems getting to neutral, so it is on a case by case basis. Seems odd to me that some do and some dont, but I guess that is down to tolerances? The fix parts/washer are not orderable and need to be requested for each bike in turn. I presume this may change if the problem gets more widely reported with more deliveries now happening. Either way, BMW have a fix for any bike with this issue.

Had a call back earlier about this from the dealer. Apparently the fix is done on bikes with the issue reported by the user. Not all bikes are having problems getting to neutral, so it is on a case by case basis. Seems odd to me that some do and some dont, but I guess that is down to tolerances? The fix parts/washer are not orderable and need to be requested for each bike in turn. I presume this may change if the problem gets more widely reported with more deliveries now happening. Either way, BMW have a fix for any bike with this issue.
I've seen that washer and doubt it's got to do with tolerances, but with, as you mentioned earlier, lack of owner reports. I guess a good few people put the neutral issues down to it being a BMW or it not being run in etc...but as soon as people start complaining it will probably become standard issue.

Any issues with yours so far?

Any issues with yours so far?

Not anything major worthy of mention. Had a couple of times stationary when it was very tricky to find neutral but IMO thats the nature of the beast. A gentle tap from second seems to work if a prod from 1st doesnt find it. When I did find neutral difficult I rolled the bike forwards a few inches and it then slotted in. Not much different from the HP4/Gen2 bike I had previously.

I am tempted to say I have been having issues with neutral to get the dealer to fit the washer just to improve it lol.

Not anything major worthy of mention. Had a couple of times stationary when it was very tricky to find neutral but IMO thats the nature of the beast. A gentle tap from second seems to work if a prod from 1st doesnt find it. When I did find neutral difficult I rolled the bike forwards a few inches and it then slotted in. Not much different from the HP4/Gen2 bike I had previously.

I am tempted to say I have been having issues with neutral to get the dealer to fit the washer just to improve it lol.
Please do and let me know whether it helped! If it does, I'll pull the same stunt...if I ever get my bike back that is... :D

Please do and let me know whether it helped! If it does, I'll pull the same stunt...if I ever get my bike back that is... :D

Sure. Enjoy the r9t whilst you have it, I have been on one and they are quite fun for what they are.

Never had any issues with mines finding neutral up to 1k miles but started to find it difficult in the last 200 miles

Never had any issues with mines finding neutral up to 1k miles but started to find it difficult in the last 200 miles
Did your dealer dump in 4.5 liters of oil at the run in service or the revised 4 liters?

Hello all, it was myself that originally started the whole neutral issue post on the 2019 M sport. I have to be honest, I test rode a red one my local dealer had in and neutral was totally fine. Unsure whether or not that had the mod done by beemer though. So this M sport they had in was impossible to select neutral, turned out this bike had actually had the mod carried out on it! In my opinion it hasn’t helped one bit. Perhaps more miles on it would of helped, I’m unsure. I can say I’m holding off on buying the gen 4 just now, purely for that reason, and that reason alone. I hope everyone out there that has issues gets them resolved by beemer though :)

My M’s a bit of a pain regarding neutral, but in the grand scheme of general ownership I’d say the problem’s not worth a carrot and it doesn’t sour the experience in the slightest. In fact, on some of my previous bikes the problems started to mount as soon as I came out of neutral 😂.

I'm another Clutch Complainer...absolute pig to find neutral from 1st or 2nd. I run out of patience and switch it off. My local Motorrad Tech has been dogged in his determination to get to the bottom of it. He confirmed BMW are sending modded parts soon. He took their demonstrator apart and found the clutch to be completely dry. It has taken a little bit of the shine off it as I've also had engine troubles fixed by replacing the throttle bodies...still...it's a fantastic beast so hoping to get all the wrinkles smoothed out soon...

I am bringing my M Sport in for the 'neutral fix' as well now. Shifting and hitting neutral is becoming progressively harder.

Back