Gen 4 Neutral issues - Solution

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understand this is an older thread but yesterday my M had its second service (at 12 months old) with only 600 miles on. For various, simplistic reasons I?ve barely ridden it but I was aware of the neutral problem from the 1st ride last July, and I almost gave up trying to locate it during the ride to / from the dealer yesterday because it was such a pain on the arse!

Anyway, prior to yesterday?s service I?d discussed with the dealer about the replacement clutch which cures the issue with locating neutral - however, my dealer appears to know nothing of this and yesterday suggested I should just keep my eye on it and come back if it doesn?t improve.

So I?d appreciate any advice on what those of you who?ve had the clutch change did to get the dealer to investigate and carry out the request work - which I?m assuming was done at no-cost?

Apologies if someone?s already posted up answers to the above questions - I?m now going to push on until the dealer fixes it.

As an aside I?ve got to say the slide and traction control in rain mode is fantastic - shite weather yesterday but the slide control saved me several times from over enthusiastic throttle use and that awesome mid range.

Just for reference my 2020 Bike which was built in Nov 19, has no problems at all finding neutral unlike Vines Demo Bike which I rode last year. It was impossible to find neutral on that Bike.

Gen 4 Neutral

I don?t have any particular issue finding neutral on my Gen 4 (2020 build). The same can?t be said for the Demo bike I rode back in July 2019 which I?m convinced had a gearbox fitted without it!

Early Gen 4 bikes tend to have the majority of neutral issues. 2020 Builds seem to have rectified the issue and they have an updated clutch design. My bike has 6k now and done several track days now and still a pig to get it into neutral. I actually think I can count on one hand how many times i've found neutral.

Dealers and BMW are fully aware it is an issue and it should be rectified through warranty. My dealer told me BMWs stance is this, 6k isn't enough time to bed in a clutch. (Utter c**p), if the problem is still persisting, bring it in and they will do the washer fix. Which most owners agree doesn't help. Lastly, if that does not work then the updated clutch. Mine goes in on the 16th to have the clutch sorted and i am going to insist it has the updated 2020 clutch.

Early Gen 4 bikes tend to have the majority of neutral issues. 2020 Builds seem to have rectified the issue and they have an updated clutch design. My bike has 6k now and done several track days now and still a pig to get it into neutral. I actually think I can count on one hand how many times i've found neutral.

Dealers and BMW are fully aware it is an issue and it should be rectified through warranty. My dealer told me BMWs stance is this, 6k isn't enough time to bed in a clutch. (Utter c**p), if the problem is still persisting, bring it in and they will do the washer fix. Which most owners agree doesn't help. Lastly, if that does not work then the updated clutch. Mine goes in on the 16th to have the clutch sorted and i am going to insist it has the updated 2020 clutch.

Bed in the clutch ..... lol

My Ducati 1098R used to go through a clutch every 2k Miles .... lol

Little update on this. The dealer have obviously confirmed there is and issue with finding neutral. Ao far they have been really good about sorting the bike. But it does slightly concern me when mentioned the mod they are doing to the clutch is on the slave cylinder. When these run cable actuated clutches. However i didn't say anything as I think he is new.

I assume then the mod being done, (which is classed as an official fix) is the washer mod. I am guessing this washer is a change to one of the thrust washers? I personally do not think it will solve it but i could be proven wrong.

While on the subject of drivetrains, they've also confirmed the cush drive rubbers are completely perished. Again changed on warranty. Mine could be a one off here. But it would be worth checking for play on bikes with a bit of mileage on them or one of the early production bikes.

Other than that the dealer hasn't scoffed at all with my list of issues and slowly working through them. (SOS function and EM light randomly coming on, cold start)

Plus they gave me a brand new R Nine T as a loan bike. So i am working on my inner hipster while the sun is out!

Quick update. Back to the dealer she goes. The washer/oil restrictor mod didn't work and it is now having the updated clutch fitted.

Quick update. Back to the dealer she goes. The washer/oil restrictor mod didn't work and it is now having the updated clutch fitted.

Guess I?ll need to go thought the stages you?ve been though to establish clutch renewal?s required.

Guess I?ll need to go thought the stages you?ve been though to establish clutch renewal?s required.

If you can, push for the updated clutch that is installed in the 2020 bikes. The washer mod, to me seems a waste of every body's time. And from what i have read, the oil restrictor mod doesn't work in most cases. While some say they saw a marginal improvement.

Finally we have neutral! The new clutch was installed today and the bike is perfect. Clutch pull is lighter, less grabby and maybe it is me but the bike sounds quieter in terms of less mechanical noise. Happy (but very wet) bunny.

Well, had the bike 2 months and it?s now going in to have the neutral issue assessed. ( July 2019 -1800mls M Sport 2nd owner ). Rode their 2020 M Sport demonstrator with no issues so wait n see what they say. ( Dundee Motorad )

Well, had the bike 2 months and it?s now going in to have the neutral issue assessed. ( July 2019 -1800mls M Sport 2nd owner ). Rode their 2020 M Sport demonstrator with no issues so wait n see what they say. ( Dundee Motorad )

Mine is a May 2019 so i would safely assume yours falls into the same bracket as mine. (Has a crappy clutch) I would push hard for a new clutch from the MY 2020 bikes and not the "washer fix" It did nothing for me. But then it does depend on the dealer, mine insisted on trying everything else prior.

Dropped the bike off yesterday and received a call from the service dept late afternoon. There is an issue and the information has been sent to BMW. ( Warranty claim ? )Parts have been ordered from Germany so 5/7 days. Service advisor couldn?t tell me what the issue was or what parts have been ordered. I requested a call from their mechanic when available to fill me in with a bit of info - still waiting !

Collected the bike this morning and rode the 50 odd miles back home. Wow what a difference. Neutral no problem and whilst using the clutch lever to select gear, selection appears more positive, not spongy as before and feels more positive. Managed to speak to the mechanic and he fitted new clutch plates & restrictor valve in the clutch assembly so the clutch basket now has the specifications of the one fitted to late 2019 / 2020 bikes. Just hope the weather holds out a touch longer to cover more mileage and make sure I?m 100% happy.

Excellent! This pretty much how I felt when i picked mine up and rode home. I felt mine was lighter and easier to modulate as well. The old one was very snappy. Anyway glad it is sorted dude!

Mine is a early 2019 model .
Park lane were very good .
I explained it was a problem with selecting neutral , and without any quibble they have replaced the clutch . Guess they knew it was a problem .
They did say it needs running in for a 100 miles something I haven?t had a chance to do yet

That?s mine with the new clutch. I thought it was going to be the oil pressure solution but Gary from Pidcock called me earlier in the week to tell me that it was going to be a new clutch which I?m glad about and Pidcock have played a blinder again they have done everything to make sure everything was spot on.

Back