Front Fork Issue (Gen4 owners)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noxx

Reaction score
Can you guys please test something for me? Sit on the bike with ignition off, straight handle bars, handful of front brake and then rock the bike back and forth... do you hear a clicking from the fork area?

Re: Need a favor (Gen4 owners)

Did your dealer remove the wheel and check for lateral movement in the lower fork legs?

Did your dealer remove the wheel and check for lateral movement in the lower fork legs?
No. My dealer returned my bike with 'there is no clonking. everything is in order'. Unfortunately, I can't just quickly go to another dealer. There's only two in ROI and the other one is a 3.5 hour ride away :/

Last edited:

Can you guys please test something for me? Sit on the bike with ignition off, straight handle bars, handful of front brake and then rock the bike back and forth... do you hear a clicking from the fork area?

Ok noxx I’ve just checked mine - exhibits a dull knock on rocking back / forth. Think my previous Gen 3 did the same, can’t say I’m overly worried about it - may be pad movement as someone’s suggested. Sounds like a loose headset that sometimes appears in my racing pushbikes but I’m sure it ain’t as there’s none of the associated movement at the headstock. Certainly haven’t felt anything untoward when I’ve been riding it.

Surely it's the floating disks? Give the disk a rotate back. And forth see if that's kt

Yes you’re probably right about the disk float. Might have another look tomorrow as it’s past wine o’clock now 🍷

Thanks guys. So if that knock is normal, then I only need to figure out what the clonking is when riding on slightly bumpy roads. That clonking is definitely not normal and as per above, my dealer isn’t of any help. I’ll try to record it and upload it here.. maybe you guys have an idea. I can hear and feel the clonking in the handlebars

Last edited:

Yes try and upload something and I’ll compare to mine. I’ve done 450 miles on a wide range of roads but haven’t experienced anything odd through the bars, maybe a bit vibey not as bad as some have reported. Front end feels absolutely sweet.

Parked my bike at the dealer this morning and politely asked to not call me until it's fixed. They did acknowledge the clonking and confirmed it's not the disks though. Will keep you guys updated.

Parked my bike at the dealer this morning and politely asked to not call me until it's fixed. They did acknowledge the clonking and confirmed it's not the disks though. Will keep you guys updated.

If you end up needing new forks,let's hope you get them quicker than me!

A month!
To be fair,I have one new one and Lind are fitting a new tube and bushes tomorrow(I hope).I managed a day on track the other day with a borrowed fork leg!
Hopefully,supply will improve now Marzocchi have finished their annual shutdown.

A month!
To be fair,I have one new one and Lind are fitting a new tube and bushes tomorrow(I hope).I managed a day on track the other day with a borrowed fork leg!
Hopefully,supply will improve now Marzocchi have finished their annual shutdown.
oh dear... here’s to hope.

Update: Fork effed. They ordered a new fork assembly yesterday and they hope to get the bike back to me by tomorrow.

Lind BMW have just fitted new bushes to mine.Spares are available from BMW but they will have to get a nylon tool made for the fork top nut.Tell them to speak to Tim@Lind.

Do you know what the fault is with the fork legs thats caused the clonking?

It can only really be the bushes in the fork tube that the lower leg slides in.You could feel the lateral play in the lower fork leg.

Back