Front Fork Issue (Gen4 owners)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Need a favor (Gen4 owners)

If it’s just the bushes then why are they replacing the whole damn thing? Haha

If it’s just the bushes then why are they replacing the whole damn thing? Haha

Well,that's the whole problem!
When mine were found to be faulty,Tim ordered a pair from Germany,several days later bmw said the forks would need to be stripped to find the problem.This they could not do as there were no dedicated tools available.The only reason my bike is fixed is purely down to my dealer using some initiative.

Well,that's the whole problem!
When mine were found to be faulty,Tim ordered a pair from Germany,several days later bmw said the forks would need to be stripped to find the problem.This they could not do as there were no dedicated tools available.The only reason my bike is fixed is purely down to my dealer using some initiative.
Looks like my bike is heading the same direction. Dealer just emailed me saying that BMW UK can't provide the forks and the supplier has been changed to BMW Germany so new ETA is mid next week. Let's hope Germany just sends out a new pair instead of wanting my dealer to strip the forks.

Can a mod rename this thread to 'Gen4 Faulty Forks' or something like that please?

Well,Germany agreed to,in the end.Unfortunately,they only had one!
If it was left to them,my bike would not be going to Spain next week as the other fork leg is not due until the 17th(maybe).
Bearing in mind that Marzocchi have been on holiday and,from my experiences,I would probably go for the fork strip!
At least the parts are available(would be handy if they had the tools though).

Can a mod rename this thread to 'Gen4 Faulty Forks' or something like that please?

Well,it does appear there are several in the US as well.
As I understood it,dealers were told to check existing bikes,or at least it was spoken about.
Probably similar to the neutral issue-if the customer whinges,something may be done.
Ducati V4's have had problems and lot's of recalls-but at least Ducati have done something about it.

Actually,it's probably better to rename it as Gen4 teething troubles or Post your gen4 problems.

Last edited:
My bike was delivered earlier, no time to anything apart from popping on a pair of swingarm bobbins and putting it on a paddock stand before heading out to the office. I am looking forward to a ride tomorrow to find out which (if any) of the various niggles/problems are affecting my bike lol.

Update: Assembled forks are out of stock. Dealer ordered individual parts now and is going to assemble the fork in the shop :(

Bike is going to be gone for a week or so. Have an R nineT scrambler as a loaner. Fun bike!

Last edited:
Your dealer must love you very much by now
My dealer's opinion about me means very little to me. He knows it's not personal and business can get ugly. I paid 25k for a product and BMW have delivered faulty goods.. twice.

Update: Dealer said parts arrived and I'll be able to collect the patient this afternoon. Fingers crossed everything is fine

Final update: Got my bike back and all issues with the suspension are gone. No clicking, no clonking, no rattling - all good. Only downside, my steering head nut and the nut on top of the right hand side fork leg are all ugly now. Can clearly see tool usage.. I guess that’s what the nylon tool baz talked about was for...

Feck it.. my M Sport is finally working the way it should be and I’m happy!

Last edited:
Final update: Got my bike back and all issues with the suspension are gone. No clicking, no clonking, no rattling - all good. Only downside, my steering head nut and the nut on top of the right hand side fork leg are all ugly now. Can clearly see tool usage.. I guess that’s what the nylon tool baz talked about was for...

Feck it.. my M Sport is finally working the way it should be and I’m happy!

We ended up getting the tool made by a local engineer to get Baz sorted. It was a ball-ache from start to finish, but we got there in the end as quickly and simply as possible.

Back