Front Fork Issue (Gen4 owners)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So had my bike checked today at dealer, and it appears to be the floating disc making the noise. My noise is more of a 'tick' actually than a 'clunk', whereas per the videos posted in this thread you can hear it's a definite clunk. We compared it against two other bikes there, an M Sport and Sport, and the ticking noise from the floating disc was the same. However, Service Manager told me to keep an eye on it and if there are any problems they will review again during Run-In-Service time. All in all, I came away happy that other bikes were the same, so fingers crossed nothing bad develops.

Re: Need a favor (Gen4 owners)

Hello!

I finally got a new electronic DDC unit inside the left fork. It is a newer production where the problem is fixed!
All clunk and knock sound is completely gone and font fork is okay as it should!

Re: Need a favor (Gen4 owners)

Hello!

I finally got a new electronic DDC unit inside the left fork. It is a newer production where the problem is fixed!
All clunk and knock sound is completely gone and font fork is okay as it should!

Do you know if the old DDC unit was a 'problem' other than the noise?

My fork makes this noise and I am not sure whether to complain about it. I can easily live with it if I know it's nothing serious....

Nothing serious but no bike is supposed to do anything like that! It really irritated me. And such an expensive bike!
For some reason the front suspension lost its damping ability into race track all the time. I don't know if it was because of this bug and rubbing would make the oils dirty or something... I do not know but i hope that it will continue to function as it should.

Has anyone had problems with oil leaking from both Marzocchi forks on the new s1000rr, not just a dribble ether so much so that my brakes and fairings are covered With oil and I have only done 500 miles.
My local dealer has replaced the seals and I have got the bike back and there worse than before.

I'd rather keep fork issues in one thread, this one.
All forks weep when warmed up because of the grease on the seals. It can be a heavy weep.
But if not that then we've not seen anything previously.

The brakes do have a well documented leak and you should have them checked.

It?s definitely the forks, I?ve not lost any brake fluid and the oil is running down the tube even with a few stationary pumps.
I?ve never seen anything like this before it has to be a manufactured fault.
Needless to say I will be returning the bike to the dealership as soon as lock down is finished.

s1000rr.png

s1000.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is post rebuild then it appears to be a workshop issue, rather than a product one.

It was leaking after the 500 mile run in but not as bad as to splash oil up the fairing, so the dealer replaced the seals. But these pictures was taken after the 10 mile journey home from the dealer, so a very short period of time.

I was just wondering if this was a known fault or if i have just been unlucky.

Get them to align the forks or do it yourself. It?s a common issue on bikes for years. My 1098 Ohlins forks will always leak in the left Stancion if this is not done. The dealer mechanic probably just put the forks with the refreshed seals back in without doing this. Keep both top yoke fork pinch bolts on the forks tightened. Undo top yoke centre nut, bottom yoke bolts, axle pinch bolts then rock the front wheel against the wall without holding the handlebars or front brake Iever (ie pushing on the top yoke centrally) and very carefully get of the bike to not disturb anything....or bounce the front wheel a few times by dropping the bike off the front yoke stand. ?DO NOT TOUCH THE FRONT BRAKE? This will align the forks and axle. Then carefully do everything up in the usual cross pattern from bottom working up.

Even when putting the front wheel in after a tyre change you should bounce the front wheel a couple of times to centre the axle. The MotoGP guys that know do this. watch them in practise. J

My first bike forks leaked quite badly you could see the fluid running down the folk leg it definitely wasn?t grease as people suggested as my replacement bike does not leak at all.

I know what your saying Jamie Mac.
I do a lot of track riding and that means wheel changes, were you always tighten the axle and then slacken the pinch bolts and then bounce on the yoke to make sure everything is sitting were it wants to be and true before tightening down the pinch bolts on the fork legs.
But are you saying that the tension in the fork legs if done incorrectly would make the forks leak oil and badly, its not something i have seen before and i have seen a lot of people do this wrong over the years and i have never seen a fork weep because of this.
Also this has came from the factory like this and then again from the BMW dealership after putting new seals in, which makes me still believe that there is a problem with the manufacturing of my forks.

If i get a chance i might try this, but i am inclined to take it back to the dealership as soon as the lock down is finished, rather than mess about with the forks my self.

Back