Front Fork Issue (Gen4 owners)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tif, yes my dealer said the same but thought I'd check here as my other bikes didn't do as much.

Yeah never had this from any bike from any manufacturer I ever owned, including my old S1K. Glad it's not just me and always good to check with other owners and other dealers [emoji106]

Dropped the bike off with the dealership today as they need to carry out further investigation as the knocking noise from the front end seems to be getting progressively worse. Not happy but hopefully they will resolve it within the next week. My dentures were rattling at low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back bike after 11 days with new bushes but no difference. New forks on order [emoji30].

I took my M sport in due to this knocking clunking feeling in the forks over rough surface, on arrival was told to speak to the mechanic who felt the discs and said it will be the floating discs. clearly it it not as it happens when not on the brakes. I have to say that the noice and feeling has got worse over the last few weeks. After some discussion they have been in contact with BMW technical and new forks have been ordered, but are on order from Germany so could be 3 weeks until it is fixed.

When I mentioned that other dealers have knowledge of this, the dealer replied that BWM have not sent anything to dealers so are not aware?

The dealer has also stated that everyone they have sent out and been riding are the same and its a characteristic? well its a characteristic ive not had on all other DDC bikes I have owned and if this is the case i will be refusing the bike. It undermines the confidence in the front end.

Mine doesn't have this clunking issue, at least not yet.

LHS switchgear has started to become loose though lol.

BMW UK must be aware of the issue as it?s a new bike any issues are fed to them then sent out to the Fatherland where they make the decisions. This was explained to me. When they don?t know the root cause they replace the parts. That?s my understanding of the system at present.

I have the knocking on my 2020 bike .
Took it to my dealer . First test ride the techno couldn't feel it .

Let him out again after feeling it close to garage and he confirmed he felt same at low speed .

I initially complained at 600 mile service but agreed to monitor it .

Took it back at 1500 mile

Bmw are sending new forks on warranty

Mine doesn't have this clunking issue, at least not yet.

That turned out to be the kiss of death.

Got this clunking for the first time on sunday. Riding through the car park at the meeting point, going over any bump I felt a knock through the bars, it feels like something is broken, generally at slow speeds when turning. And it?s quite a knock, one you definitely notice with some alarm, at least that was my experience, the suspension goes rock hard for a split second during the compression. At speed everything was great. Weird.

Mines at the dealers now, booked in for potential leaking forks. This is now confirmed, not grease. The technician also picked up low speed knock, I hadn't noticed. They are now doing a complete investigation of everything associated with front forks. Mines a 69 plate, 2500 miles

Sent from my XQ-AD51 using Tapatalk

My March built 2020 has been clunking at the front end since collection. Has done ~ 1,500 miles.
Is currently having the left fork leg investigated at Cannon BMW

I?m popping in to see my dealer in a couple of weeks, will get them to take a look at mine while I?m there.

That turned out to be the kiss of death.

Got this clunking for the first time on sunday. Riding through the car park at the meeting point, going over any bump I felt a knock through the bars, it feels like something is broken, generally at slow speeds when turning. And it?s quite a knock, one you definitely notice with some alarm, at least that was my experience, the suspension goes rock hard for a split second during the compression. At speed everything was great. Weird.

Mine is the same. At walking pace over a gravel car pack it feels like the front wheel is loose. It rattles like mad. Once over 10-15 mph its fine. I rode up the cobbled high street in Alston at walking pace the other day and I thought the both bars had come loose! I need to get it in to the dealers but I'm enjoying riding it too much otherwise.

Ive call the dealer as it was claimed 3 weeks to have it sorted and its been in since 9th July.

The forks have not arrived in germany yet and are expected at the end of next week at the earliest, then shipping to Uk and then fitting

ive a track day booked for 24th so hope its fixed

The bike is back and the new forks are fitted, no knocking or feel of knocking from the forks.

Been out for a short ride this morning and it's so noticeable at slow speeds and on the bumpy roads. now feels smooth and plush like the HP4 and gen 3.

When i asked the dealer what the mechanic thought, they stated that he noted that there was a difference. Well looks like there is a fault on them after all.

Now feel justified for trusting my judgement and not just accepting the "that's how they are comment" when I knew the feel was not right.

Im still waiting forks arriving.

One thing ive noticed tho im on 2000 miles .600 of these was running in .

My metzeller front tyre is out of shape and only 1mm left .

I normally do 2 rears to one front on every bike ive owned.

But since having this bike il do a front and rear at same time .

Wonder if this front wear is down to faulty forks

The Gen4 is the best steering bike I've ever used.... because they've changed the offset to increase the feel by increasing the trail from my test ride, down side front tyres wear faster... All the bikes I've added adjustable yokes to increase wear when you increase feel i.e increase trail. I'd rather have that steering. My 1098 went from 36mm offset to 25mm... that's a big amount. Normally it's 1-3mm. J

Im still waiting forks arriving.

One thing ive noticed tho im on 2000 miles .600 of these was running in .

My metzeller front tyre is out of shape and only 1mm left .

I normally do 2 rears to one front on every bike ive owned.

But since having this bike il do a front and rear at same time .

Wonder if this front wear is down to faulty forks

no knocking on mine at 4000 miles and i need to replace front and rears at same time but im hard on tyres. on 3rd set now.

Last edited:
My dealership received the replacement left fork leg end of last week. However, the new fork leg still produces the knocking sound/feeling, so am awaiting another replacement ...

Will be interesting to see if the front wear rate improves with a non-clunking fork, as would very much like to change the tyres as a set, as I did on my Gen 3.

Back