Front Fork Issue (Gen4 owners)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Got my "clunking" damping unit changed at the end of 2020. It initially seemed OK but by Aug 2021 it was as bad as ever. It seems to get worse the warmer the ambient temperature. I had the bike in for a service Nov 2021 and told them of the returning problem. The Service Manager explained he was waiting for BMW to produce a new damping unit which would then get rolled out as a fix. He expected it to be available at the end of 2021. He added my name to his spread sheet and said he would be in touch in due course. Not heard anything back yet.

Thanks OW please extract the part number details from of your service manager when you have the opportunity. Of note I have been riding mine in recent ambient temperatures of 6 or 7 and it is very evident so the dealers might be able to hear me approaching when the weather warms up!!!

SP

Collected my bike today. Top bush in one of the legs was worn (showed me)but they changed them in both legs.
Spindle problem I had when inserting through the central spacer was, as mentioned, the bearing(s) weren't quite home enough to hold it in place.
Spike in revs when slowing down to walking pace was explained as the system sensing engine speed was too slow for the wheel speed ? It doesn't happen with the clutch pulled. It has been subject to a software update now ....
Also software update has improved the take-off from stationary (apparently)

Was a different mechanic who actually phoned me to get an accurate description of the problems after I took it in, and came out to speak to me with the replaced parts when I collected .

Not ridden yet so we will see in due course ....

Last edited:
I had the same front wheel problem. They also did a software update and the only difference I've noticed is a drop of 10 miles less from each tank full before reserve.

Another thing that wont help the rattling feeling from the front end. There is a cover for the front indicator plugs. It sits between the screen and the dash. When you look at the dash it sticks out just above it. It runs from the bottom of the screen to top of the dash. It's "locked " in place by 2 push fit tabs. On mine its so lose it rattles around between the screen and the dash. You can even slide it up and down a few mil. Im sure I can feel/hear it rattling at low speed. I've ended up taping it in position.

Another thing that wont help the rattling feeling from the front end. There is a cover for the front indicator plugs. It sits between the screen and the dash. When you look at the dash it sticks out just above it. It runs from the bottom of the screen to top of the dash. It's "locked " in place by 2 push fit tabs. On mine its so lose it rattles around between the screen and the dash. You can even slide it up and down a few mil. Im sure I can feel/hear it rattling at low speed. I've ended up taping it in position.

Yes, noticed that....

Ive got a gen 3 2016 4900 miles with clunking noise and oil film on right fork stanchion
dealer says oil film normal but I don?t think so
any advice?

Gen 3?s aren?t known to have the clunking issue so that?s something to look into.
BMW are however known for heavy greasing on the fork seals, so if you?re getting a clearly defined ring of grease that?s absolutely fine. If however you?re getting streaks of oil, then that?s likely a seal that needs replacing

Back