Front Fork Issue (Gen4 owners)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got a final decision on a matter that affects many bikes S1000RR 2020
a problem that has been addressed for months now
Very strong clunking noise comes allways when press even lightly front end down.
The sound is especially loud when driving over speed bumps, even if you have earplugs the sound is loud.
Even if you walks the bike over the garage doorstep it clunks very loud.
The problem has increased all the time and now on the race track front suspension has lost its damping capacity pretty much and the front tire wears out quickly. Bike have now driven 1200miles/ 2000km

Clunking videos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=141gpvbtwUNYy8i4zHZTl6GHmL2tipfv7
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-n9DNocnzZMcdAZNNvNYC0pMTf1t_lm/view?usp=sharing

My Bmw dealer told me finally answer that BMW factory replied that clunking noise is feature and does not affect driving. Therefore it is not a matter of warranty!!?? If the customer wants to get the sound off, they have to buy new full enclosed electric damping unit inside left fork tube for themselves .
Early production bikes have manufacturing tolerances which cause the problem. The issue will be corrected in the future production.
The noise comes from the bottom valve of the closed Cartridge (left fork).
At the change from pressure stage to rebound stage the Checkvalve-Shim compresses the spring and the nut gets in contact with the shim packet.

What do you think about that case? Has anyone received any help on this yet??
Other warranty issues like clutch, oil cooler, cold start, broken shark fin are taken care of to my bike allready.
Otherwise I like the bike and it's good and fast. But the bug has gone so bad that I can no longer imagine driving like this. The unit cannot be disassembled and serviced and I will not pay for the new one myself. Any ideas what to do with the bike?

if BMW say its not and issue and it dosnt affect handing then your choices are sell the bike or buy really good ear plugs. :)

I finally got a final decision on a matter that affects many bikes S1000RR 2020
a problem that has been addressed for months now
Very strong clunking noise comes allways when press even lightly front end down.
The sound is especially loud when driving over speed bumps, even if you have earplugs the sound is loud.
Even if you walks the bike over the garage doorstep it clunks very loud.
The problem has increased all the time and now on the race track front suspension has lost its damping capacity pretty much and the front tire wears out quickly. Bike have now driven 1200miles/ 2000km

Clunking videos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=141gpvbtwUNYy8i4zHZTl6GHmL2tipfv7
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-n9DNocnzZMcdAZNNvNYC0pMTf1t_lm/view?usp=sharing

My Bmw dealer told me finally answer that BMW factory replied that clunking noise is feature and does not affect driving. Therefore it is not a matter of warranty!!?? If the customer wants to get the sound off, they have to buy new full enclosed electric damping unit inside left fork tube for themselves .
Early production bikes have manufacturing tolerances which cause the problem. The issue will be corrected in the future production.
The noise comes from the bottom valve of the closed Cartridge (left fork).
At the change from pressure stage to rebound stage the Checkvalve-Shim compresses the spring and the nut gets in contact with the shim packet.

What do you think about that case? Has anyone received any help on this yet??
Other warranty issues like clutch, oil cooler, cold start, broken shark fin are taken care of to my bike allready.
Otherwise I like the bike and it's good and fast. But the bug has gone so bad that I can no longer imagine driving like this. The unit cannot be disassembled and serviced and I will not pay for the new one myself. Any ideas what to do with the bike?

Suggest you look over some of the earlier posts for guidance on this issue and dealer resolution.

Also suggest your dealer’s away with the fairies and you should maybe look at one who’s prepared to act responsibly on behalf of BMW.

Me and my dealer know an obvious correction to this issue. Like message said. They promised new DDC unit as a guarantee in the fall but BMW dont give anymore new parts related to the case like this because it is early production feature and normal.. How others have received the new parts I wonder mayby earlier not now?

Can't say I've noticed this on mine yet but will have a listen.
I can't fathem BMW out, I expected more from the brand.
I've been after the clutch mod which they are refusing to do till I get more miles on it. That's fare enough but they insist in doing the washer mod first before the new clutch basket despite them knowing it doesn't resolve the neutral problem.

Can't say I've noticed this on mine yet but will have a listen.
I can't fathem BMW out, I expected more from the brand.
I've been after the clutch mod which they are refusing to do till I get more miles on it. That's fare enough but they insist in doing the washer mod first before the new clutch basket despite them knowing it doesn't resolve the neutral problem.

From your posts generally I get the impression you are not too chuffed with your new s1000rr ownership experience which is a shame as I have had the opposite so far.....

Regarding the washer, has the dealer said to you that it doesn’t work but they’re doing it anyway?

No I genuinely love the bike and expect issues on a new model.
Let's just say I can't say I'm impressed with my dealer from start to today's experience.

Yes they have said it didn't work on a bike they had already done, but it's down to BMW not them.

It is usually the dealers that let the brand down on service which is a shame, because when they do a good job it is a good experience. Any alternative dealers you could use?

Right, been out for a ride and I've definitely got this clunking noise. Went over a few bumpy roads and at low speeds the knocking noise was loud enough for me to hear through my helmet over the exhaust and wind noise. Pulled over, turned bike off, pressed front brakes and pushed bike up and down at the front and low and behold that clunking noise is there for sure. I don't like it and my Gen 2 or 3 didn't do this. Bike has covered a total of 140 miles now, so will mention this to my dealer as a heads up, so that if anything needs sorting they can do it come run-in service time. My bike is a Jan 2020 bike, so not exactly an early one, so one would have hoped they rectified these issues at the factory, clearly they haven't.

Otherwise bike is lovely, pulls like a train in any gear.

Is date of manufacture specified on the bike anywhere? If I go by BMW status codes during delivery stages, then mine was produced Dec 2019.

Even june is not early production.. So they have clunking forks in stock that is still used..

Any of you who recently took delivery like myself experience this issue?

no. But one of the members from Ireland had this, seem to recall it was a tolerance problem on the fork internals which affected some and not others. Forks changed by the dealer, problem solved.

Is there anywhere on the bike you can get your actual production date? Or a website where you can punch in VIN to obtain this level of info? Thanks.

Back