2019 s1000rr M sport Neutral Issue?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33fys

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Wondering if anyone on here has the new 2019 M sport and has had issues with selecting neutral? As far as i know there has been a recall to remedy an oil gallery which provides the clutch oil. Just wondering if anyone knows if BMW are now manufacturing them now at factory correctly?? I had a shot of an M sport, and the only downside I found was trying to locate Neutral. Granted litre bikes can be problematic at times trying to find neutral - I appreciate that, but this was very hard to select neutral from a stand still.

Thanks!

The oil feed issue was corrected on any bikes affected.
General concensus is the neutral selection improves with miles(as did the previous generations).

Hi Baz, thanks for the reply. So the bike I rode had the repair done and to be honest I'm rather put off one might say. Not entirely thouhh as I want one, so I'll give it time. Although I'm not spending £20k for a bike that might get better / improves with mileage. I'm dissapointed :(

I think its hard to N on purpose, they want you to have no issues riding in and through ALL the gears.

- Alex

I appreciate that Alex however, It shouldn't be overly hard to find neutral, especially on a brand new bike? It just makes me weary experiencing a 2019 that proves tricky to find Neutral, after having this recall carried out? I guess I just need to ride one that has not had that recall issue? to see if there is a big difference?

The oil gallery in the engine which was in the gearbox area required a new engine.
Had no impact on the operation of the gearbox.

- Alex

The oil gallery in the engine which was in the gearbox area required a new engine.

- Alex

Yep, hence my question to the op. Also, he would not have been riding a bike that had the issue. So he must be referring to something else?

Last edited:
Yeah so Alex is correct from what I have read on google (New engine would have been carried out) but I have been advised of a fix without a new engine. I am refering to a 2019 bike that has had this alledged repair. It may well be that I have false info but going to chase this up the Motrrad UK 100%. To summarize I've had a shotty of a 2019 s1000rr M sport and was a nightmare to select Neutral. I thought my Gen 3 was bad too lol

- Alex

Hi Alex, That is what I have also read officially on a website on google yes. Although the defect did have an impact on the operation of the gearbox, that being very hard to select Neutral.

That's the engine issue - machining of the oil gallery in the engine casting which feeds oil to the gearbox.

Last edited:
Yeah so Alex is correct from what I have read on google (New engine would have been carried out) but I have been advised of a fix without a new engine. I am refering to a 2019 bike that has had this alledged repair. It may well be that I have false info but going to chase this up the Motrrad UK 100%. To summarize I've had a shotty of a 2019 s1000rr M sport and was a nightmare to select Neutral. I thought my Gen 3 was bad too lol

Interested to hear if you get any more info on the alledged repair.

I’ve had similar issues select neutral on my M-Spec as well. The dealer said that all the mod/recall work has been done on my bike, hence the protracted delay in receiving it.

Apparently it should become easier with more clutch use during run in and as the engine warms.

I’ve found that if I pump the clutch when starting the bike and use the clutch for the first part of my ride, the issue isn’t so prominent and it’s easier to engage neutral at a standstill with the engine running.

It’s not brilliant, or as easy as my other bikes but is workable and I’m starting to think that it’s just one of those ‘machine characteristics’ you get from time to time.

I now use a very light touch of the gear selector and look to change to neutral when the bikes rolling (into a filling station for example) and it generally clicks in no problem.

I’ve only got 850 miles on mine at the moment so not quite fully run in to 1k. Will see how it goes as the engine loosens and the miles increase.

Apart from that, and the hard seat, it’s a truly brilliant machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I deliberately don't use neutral now even though I can find it. At lights i kill the engine with the right hand kill switch. Same in petrol stations. Saves the bike making that horrible crunch when selecting first from neutral and saves the planet. Its a human stop start. Works for me.

It doesn't really improve with time. Had 9000 km on my first M Sport and finding neutral was still a bitch. You just gonna have to get used to it. 2 to N is easier than 1 to N btw.

It doesn't really improve with time. Had 9000 km on my first M Sport and finding neutral was still a bitch. You just gonna have to get used to it. 2 to N is easier than 1 to N btw.
BMW have issued a fix for this. Best to contact your dealers about this.

Interested to hear if you get any more info on the alledged repair.
He was right. There has been a repair issued, my dealer told me this morning. I've created a new thread on the Gen4 board.

Test rode a demo S1000RR motorsport last week and after initially starting the engine found it difficult to select neutral.
However after a 30mile year ride failed to select neutral. Just wasn’t happening.

Bike had done 1200miles.

I did mention it to the salesman, but didn’t get much of a response.

Back