2015 engine went bang.....dont ingnore the rattles

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoranC1

Reaction score
So a few prior points to the issue,
2015 RR with 4400miles, full dealership service history, i bought it just over a year ago with around 1300 miles, had it serviced about 200-300mile ago. always warmed up fully before driven when possible, but if leavin in a hurry then low revs until full heat.

about two weeks after purchase i noted to the dealer there was a slight rattle/knock that i could hear @4k rpm, but i wasnt sure if it was just "new ownership(first RR) just noticed it" noise. they said it was fine.(which to be fair it lasted another 2000miles)

bike gets an easy life, usually riding with my father who doesnt ride fast, and the usual horsing it on every so often, with 1 half trackday.
when riding with my dad i usually have ear plugs and an intercom + acra pipe so dont usually hear the bike...

but went for a ride a few days ago by myself, no plugs or intercom. noticed a knocky/rattle whilst riding but it seemed to disappear at certain revs and speeds. so assumed it to possibly be normal but did worry me a little, said to myself ill drop it into the dealer tomrrow for a check. on way back home......

rattle became a knock, became a huge knock, became a bang and missifire. engine still running, albeit not very well. no oil smoke or oil leak, but sounded like a tractor...recovered to my dealer.....

**apologies if picture is huge*

GetAttachmentThumbnail

*also in no way do i blame the dealer*

they took the bike, stayed open late for me to arrive after 6pm, initial diag was the camshaft issue of DLC coating or the likes, woke me out of bed the next morning at 10 to inform me that, a valve has dropped in cyl 3 completely destroying the piston, cylinder walls and head.
and would need a new complete engine....

Now for the good part, BMW being the great company they are, supply two full years warranty on used vehicle as we know, so its all covered. my dealer had the engine ordered around 1pm and has informed me the bike should be ready next week.

also offered me the 2020 RR demo vehicle to drive should i need it...i opted for an XR1000 instead as i already drove the new RR and fancied seeing what speedy comfort felt like haha.

Couldnt thank my dealer enough, completely took care of myself and were extremely prompt in answering me any questions i had, including letting me see the plug. and other damaged camshafts they had.

so slight bit of Horror but im happy with the outcome, including gettin a new engine!

anyone else had an issue like this?

yea brand spanking with 0 miles. they have informed me that they cannot re introduce the run in portion into the ECU, so ill have full power when its installed but still need to ride it like it is on run in.

Never nice to hear of a failure. We'd obviously like to know what caused the valve to drop in the first place.
Mines out of warranty now and has done a lot of track miles - I think I'll do the sighting laps on Monday without ear plugs to have a good listen!

I assume it was the camshaft issue caused a lot of heat in one valve or damaged the collets and the valve dropped.
I drove the Xr1000 and noted that my engine hadn't sounded like that in a long time. I enquired about an extended warranty. Which BMW do for about 350quid for a year or 400 for 2 roughly. I'll be extended mine in July next year once my 2 years are up. As in less than 24hours my bike had a new £10000 engine ordered.

Tom I actually commented on you post too as I had my suspicions about my engine and was looking to see where I stood too when your post arised.

Sorry to read that this happened to you mate, but good to see they are looking after you. Have to say they've always even good with me anytime I've been in!

Only extended my warranty again last week there so reading this makes me think it was worth it!

Yea gav, I'll be extending mine for next year too as the treatment I have gotten couldn't be any better. then figure out if I'm upgrading to the 2020 bike(will be 2021) then

My 17 went pop at 6000 miles last year. Valve dropped in cylinder 3...I never received an official explanation for the failure.

I did receive excellent service though. A nice 3 series for a week, 0 miles whole engine replacement and a refund for the BMW trackday I was on my way to when she let go!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mrd1000, sofar exact same as me Cyl3. And a zero mile engine going in atm. Didn't bother with a curtsy car tho as I don't use mine for commuting or stuff.

Alex I'd say yours may be fine if it's done a lot of track time and hasn't knocked yet

*update* had my bike returned to me today, just over a week from breakdown, running like a clock. So total replacement was just shy of 10 grand.
It had a full engine, incl gearbox, clutch, oil cooler and all associated sensors and bits including fresh plugs and coils etc.

Literally feels like a brand new bike, gear shifts are tight as a guitar string and runs smooth. Also it goes back in 600mile for a break in service, but they did mention that they cannot re instate the run in procedure to the ecu so I have to run it in without a limiter.

Also as promised(I wanted to keep details off the net until claim was processed) the dealer is

Charles Hurst BMW Motorrad
Belfast
N. Ireland.

Absolutely fantastic service and couldn't have been more helpful, would recommend them for here north and south

Back