Gen4 track review

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
This was posted on US s1000rr forum

I couldn't seem to find a topic for those using the new S1000RR exclusively on track.
So if you plan to use the new 2019/2020 model exclusively on track (or if you already have one prepared) I would love to hear your feedback about mods & (aftermarket)parts!

I'm a Belgian trackday-organiser (mostly on tracks in Belgium, France, Germany and The Netherlands) and have been driving a fully prepped 2013 S1000RR for the past 6 years. Since bikes have evolved quite a bit over the past 6 years I started looking around what bike to get to replace my 'old' S1000RR. In the past few months I had the opportunity to test an R1 and a Panigale V4 on track, but both did not convince me enough to ditch my current bike. I also wanted to test the new S1000RR (on track, not public road) but did not manage to secure a ride. Until a few weeks ago during our event on Circuit Carole (Paris) where a very friendly customer let me have a go with his brand new bike (M-Package, carbon wheels, DDC) >:)

I was almost directly sold! It felt like driving my own bike, but better (faster steering respons, fits like a glove, bit more power, ...).
With a little work, setup and some mods this will certainly be a beast!

The bike I drove was the M-Pack version with the carbon wheels and DDC, completely standard as it left the showroom and about 1000km on the odo. Only the shifting pattern was reversed (thank god!).
I put it in Race Pro-1 mode, configured all electronics to the lowest possible value of interference possible and hit the track.
I drove for about 20 minutes in the intermediate-slow group but even then (while slaloming through traffic) managed to set the 15th fastest time of the day (still 4 seconds slower then when driving my own bike). Not bad considering it's not my bike and it's completely standard!

The GOOD ...
It steers fantastic! I might even say it steers better than the Panigale V4 I tested.
It has a lot of power/torque, but it's also a lot more linear than my 'old' S1000RR. I do like the brutal character of my 'old' S1000RR, but I think a more linear power delivery adds to the overall efficiency. The Panigale V4 and the R1 are even more linear ... probably also one of the reasons I liked the new S1000RR better. It sits just in the middle of my current one and the Pani/R1.
The rider position is perfect for me (I'm 186cm/68kg) whereas the R1 and Panigale felt cramped.

The BAD ...
It has a dead spot in 2nd gear when exiting corners. Probably because of the standard gearing it is just a bit to low in rpm to be in the sweet spot for maximum acceleration. I'm sure it would benefit from dropping one teeth in the front and adding 1 or 2 at the rear.
It brakes fine for about 3 laps and then you get fading until the point the brakelever hits the clipon and you start overshooting your entry. I discussed this with one of the mechanics who works on the IDM bikes and he told me it's mostly due to the OEM brakepads and the carbon wheels. Race-spec pads are a must, but apparently the carbon wheels do not absorb the heat like forged wheels do, which causes the brakes (discs, calipers) to run hotter and thus fade sooner. His advice was to pass on the carbon wheels ... yes they are lighter, but also more fragile, and they don't dissipate the heat as much as forged wheels do.
Wheelycontrol ... WTF ... My current 2013 bike has the HP Race ECU, so I'm used to not having wheelycontrol at all. I'm used to control my wheelies with my wrist (and sometimes rear brake) so I was really curious how good this WC would be ...
So on my second passing, coming onto the straight (WC in lowest setting) I opened up the throttle, lifted the front wheel, and kept it aimed at the sky all along the straight (guess about 80cm between the asphalt and the tire, probably about 50% angle). So far so good ... but then I decided it was about time to dive into that lefthander and decided to set her down ... which resulted in a pretty nice tankslapper. I'm used to roll-off the throttle to land the front wheel gently, but doing so on the new S1000RR seems to make the front wheel go down a lot faster than intended (aka slamming the front wheel to the ground). I guess it's more a WC thing since I had the same on the R1 I tested. Not sure if this is something that is tuneable, but at the moment I'm not convinced of it's usefulness.
Dynamic Damper Control was something new for me. I'm used to my K-Tech suspension (cartridges and rear shocker) so I guess I'll find all out-of-the box suspensions to be crap on track :smile2:. Same goes for DDC ... one advice ... do not throw away your money on this if it's going to be a track-bike! Could be it's great on the street, but it's way to soft on track. For the front you can only choose damping harder/softer ... thats way to limited.

Anyway ... all-in-all I believe it would make a good basis for my new trackbike so I ordered one last weekend >:) (delivery in February). I went for Hockenheim Silver + racing package (forged wheels, M-battery & race-pro modes).

Stuff I will certainly change on the bike is:
- Ohlins cartridges
- Ohlins TTX GP
- Alpha Racing rearsets
- Alpha Racing clipons
- Akrapovic system
- Race fairings
- Final drive
- Alpha Racing ECU flash (when available)
- Thumb brake
- Short throw E-throttle

Further posts will be mainly to discuss these and other mods that make sense for a track-only bike.

A good read. Has anyone got or heard any reports on the standard suspension ?
I'm not convinced with all this electronic gear on track. I've seen and heard more negative feedback than good.

A good read. Has anyone got or heard any reports on the standard suspension ?
I'm not convinced with all this electronic gear on track. I've seen and heard more negative feedback than good.
Guy who finished in front of me in a sprint race at Donny GP lapped around 1:40 on stock DDC suspension on Gen3. I had ohlins lol

Back