Ordered my Gen 4 today

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiMoto

Reaction score
Hey everyone not posted on here for a while, bought a 2018 Gen 3 back last September and absolutely love it however I'm getting good money back for it against a gen 4 and took the plunge today with the dealer telling me they hope to get me one for Mar/April. I have told them I'm not sure what colour or spec yet was thinking of the Sport in red as I feel its really good value, question is should I just Go all in and order the M, I have to confirm spec in December. Really keen to get your thoughts on this guys and girls, the motorsport colour scheme is absolutely my preferred colours just feel the carbon wheels and stuff are wasted on a road bike as I will not be tracking the bike and from what I read the seat is painfully hard and having owned a 2016 R1 I couldn't be arsed with the hard seat again.

We’ve probably all got a healthy opinion but I’d be careful putting too much faith what others suggest. I’ve got an M Sport - I hugely preferred the colour (same as the Gens 2 & 3 that I had before), and that alone pretty much defined what I had to do. Fortunately I could afford it so I didn’t have to compromise, and the additional spec is fantastic even though I’m not anywhere near good enough to take full advantage of it. It’s got the sweetest turn-in of any bike I’ve owned by a margin, which I think is down to the carbon wheels and I imagine would be the biggest difference if you rode the models back to back.

I think the non M’s will be fantastic in any spec but if you value greater electronic adjustability then you’ll be forced to go with the PP option - so cost edging up towards that of the M anyway. I think BMW have been pretty crafty in their option and cost arrangements to ‘usher’ people towards the M.

I originally ordered the Sport but swapped it for an M Sport, because I know ultimately it’s the model I wanted.
My dealer said the swap put me back of the queue again, so be mindful of that if you are thinking of changing.

whichever you go with will be great. When it turns up.

We’ve probably all got a healthy opinion but I’d be careful putting too much faith what others suggest. I’ve got an M Sport - I hugely preferred the colour (same as the Gens 2 & 3 that I had before), and that alone pretty much defined what I had to do. Fortunately I could afford it so I didn’t have to compromise, and the additional spec is fantastic even though I’m not anywhere near good enough to take full advantage of it. It’s got the sweetest turn-in of any bike I’ve owned by a margin, which I think is down to the carbon wheels and I imagine would be the biggest difference if you rode the models back to back.

I think the non M’s will be fantastic in any spec but if you value greater electronic adjustability then you’ll be forced to go with the PP option - so cost edging up towards that of the M anyway. I think BMW have been pretty crafty in their option and cost arrangements to ‘usher’ people towards the M.

Hi Ian thanks for the reply, I thought there would be some compromise with the electronic adjustery if I went for the Sport however having sat today with the dealer and went through the spec line by line it appears there is no difference between the Sport and the M in this respect. The looked at the PP option and this is 100% only forged wheels and lightweight battery, the pro modes and all adjustability comes with the Sport as standard.

Hi Ian thanks for the reply, I thought there would be some compromise with the electronic adjustery if I went for the Sport however having sat today with the dealer and went through the spec line by line it appears there is no difference between the Sport and the M in this respect. The looked at the PP option and this is 100% only forged wheels and lightweight battery, the pro modes and all adjustability comes with the Sport as standard.

That matches what I’ve been told too. I think the BMW website causes some confusion, but I’ve done the same as you and went through the book with the dealer.

If you can afford it I'd go with the M Sport, but if the budget is a bit tight, the Sport will probably still outperform you, just like 99.5% of us.

Back