Ignition switch not covered under extended warranty

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I cleaned my bike yesterday, dried and polished it and put it away. On going to the garage a few hours later I noticed the ignition was on, even though the keys weren’t in the ignition. This led to the lithium battery being totally drained. I disconnected the battery to stop the issue and replaced it with the OEM battery and fitted it back in place. The ignition came straight back on without the key. The bikes been recovered to Bahnstormer who have advised the ignition switch is faulty. Of real annoyance though this is not a component covered by the extended warranty. Surely this could have been covered under ignition coil or immobiliser antenna. What are your thoughts. The bill will be £250 parts, plus labour on top. The failure has also frazzled my lithium battery which will no longer hold a charge.
The warranty reads:
Electrical systemFailure of the following parts: all electrical control units, on board computer and starter motor, starter relay/ module, alternator, voltage regulator, cooling fan motor, ignition coil, wiring loom, lambda probe, fuel level circuit boards and sender units, ABS wheel sensors (excluding damage), immobiliser antenna. CD player, radio, engine temperature transmitter and coolant temperature transmitter. Cruise control motor, reverse gear module and actuator. Electric screen motor, main stand motor, electronic suspension adjustment motors, handlebar combination switches.

I had exactly same issue that led to replacement of ignition barrel. Unfortunately my bike was out of warranty so had to pay out of pocket.

Hi, see if you can find other instances of the ignition failing. Find as many as you can and bombard your dealer. I had the same problem with my clocks. The BMW extended warranty doesn't have anything to do with BMW as it's an insurance policy even a back street dealer can offer. My clocks had the dreaded white powder and dimming led light syndrome and after checking they said it wasn't covered under warranty and explained the above. I came up with loads of other customer failures, the fact BMW are on their 3rd design and BMW Germany paid for it all in the end. Worth pushing.....

Back