Fairing choices for road and track.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavD101

Reaction score
Been having a search on the forum to get some ideas for road and track fairings. (As well as Googling) And hoping for some feedback.

I have started using my 2017 RR a lot more on track this year. The bug is firmly set in and as I progress I do not doubt one day i will take a spill.

At the moment i do not want to turn it into a full on track bike as i still use enjoy using it on the road for weekend jaunts. As such I don't want the faff of changing fairings around to ride on the road and track each time. And i love the OE colours of my bike so i would like to try and keep that. (However If i do a Euro trip next year I am happy to put a full race fairing on)

So I was wondering can you get a race fairing with light cut outs? Reason i ask is because i saw an Endurance race recently and the bikes were running full OE headlights which gave me the idea. I presume they run a race style fairing?

Or do I just go for a set Chinese fairings? If so any recommendations?

Or am i just asking for too much and should just shut up and ride? :)

For my mind if its very much a road bike first I would leave it in a road ready state. I haven't taken mine on the road for the shear fact its a ball ache to chop and change back and forth.

This leaves lights at risk but well if you want to be risk free you don't leave the garage...

The track sees more wear and tear in general so I would probably go with Chinese fairings, or I would just hoover up a spare set of OEM's from eBay over time.

- Alex

Last edited:
I've been using my Gen 3 road bike on track this year. Although I have a track only GSXR750, I thought I'd try the S1000RR but still wanted to use it on the road - my solution was to fit a set of the chinese replica kits. No more expensive than a decent fibreglass race kit - mine were ?370 delivered although the usual price is around ?450 - and they both look and fit ok. The mounting points can be a bit weak and the paint is ok but nothing more however they are value-for-money imho. I do around 15 days a year so swaping stuff would be too much trouble - this solution works for me. I simply remove the mirrors, change the wheels and press a few buttons to go on track.

The one thing I've noticed is that you don't see many people in the fast group on road bikes so it isn't a popular option.

_AJP9269 by Andy Yates, on Flickr

20190629_073810_Richtone(HDR) by Andy Yates, on Flickr

Cheers guys. You have definitely answered what i have been thinking, either Chinese fairings or OE parts on Ebay. Saying that you don't see too many OE fairings on Ebay. Gobert, those fairings look pretty good. Where did you purchase them from?

I don't think i have to worry about running road fairings in the fast group...i am a long way from having the skill to being allowed to run with the fast lads and ladies.

I've got some Chinese ones arriving on Monday, will let you know what they're like, think they worked out about £400 with the import charges.

Ducky, look forward to hearing your thoughts. £400 is pretty good. When you consider used OE side fairing is being advertised for £150 on FleaBay.

Hi, I've used Chinese Bodywork for years. Make sure it's injection moulded. If you want a custom paint job, Wilson at GoMotoTrip is the best. Always up for a haggle and pay in two steps. i.e $100 and the main payment. Then he can put the legal value as $100 to lower import duty. His paint is better than OE of any manufacturer and certainly better than BMW. He also sells to other resellers on ebay. You can always tell his bodywork as the picture all have a white tiled floor background. Not a problem with any of my bikes bodywork in over 10 years use and V-Twin's tend to crack bodywork. Just got an HP4 Race set for my 2015 but haven't fitted it yet, but beautiful quality. J

IMG_0021.JPGIMG_0016.JPGIMG_0488.JPGIMG_1534.jpg

Hi, I've used Chinese Bodywork for years. Make sure it's injection moulded. If you want a custom paint job, Wilson at GoMotoTrip is the best. Always up for a haggle and pay in two steps. i.e $100 and the main payment. Then he can put the legal value as $100 to lower import duty. His paint is better than OE of any manufacturer and certainly better than BMW. He also sells to other resellers on ebay. You can always tell his bodywork as the picture all have a white tiled floor background. Not a problem with any of my bikes bodywork in over 10 years use and V-Twin's tend to crack bodywork. Just got an HP4 Race set for my 2015 but haven't fitted it yet, but beautiful quality. J

View attachment 4552View attachment 4553View attachment 4554View attachment 4555

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the feedback on these guys. I have actually come across them when searching and thought their stuff looked really good. And your pics have confirmed that as well. (1098 and SRAD look epic) How much do they charge for painting?

Wilson doesn't really add anything for custom paint. Even complicated arty, airbrush stuff and they always get sign off from you before clear coating. If you look at the first picture, the 'TI' wasn't spaced properly, just emailed him back, fixed in a few minutes. Plus I made various changes and happy to accommodate with no additional cost. Just design what you want and email it to him. The more detail the better. The toughest part is coming up with a design that's original. I've got 3-4 sets for each bike I own as I change the bodywork each winter. I keep my bikes for life. A change of clothes for the girls. Even Metallic paint / Reflective Graphics is standard if asked for. You couldn't buy the paint in the UK for the Price of the whole lot.

18394702@D3DAB15B.5D956A56.jpg44723166@9D77DE58.36D76B56.jpg18394602@D3DAB15B.5D956A56.jpg

Last edited:
Funny enough it's the HP4 race set I've just received for mine.

Not fully unpacked it as yet, but the quality appears good considering the cost, the insides of the fairings aren't back painted a solid colour if that matters, and maybe some of the lettering could be laid out better, but for the price I don't think you can go wrong. :)

Some of the fixings look a little weak, so I'll probably re-enforce them with some epoxy.

They did put a $100 dollar value on the package also, so you only get hit for about £30 import/handling fees which is good.

Ak0h0Mx.jpg

uKSuo66.jpg

XLDyvuP.jpg

xVe8oYt.jpg

XS8oV0d.jpg

xFTDcJV.jpg

ElkiHu4.jpg

XNHcS1j.jpg

ddcd8KT.jpg

Oh nice...you are selling this chap to me even more! The fairings you have look pretty damn good. Do you have any issues with melting/warping from the cat? I still run mine and probably won't be changing it any time soon. I am tempted going custom but love the stock look of my bike...however this silver looks pretty sweet: https://www.gomototrip.com/wp-conte...BMW-S1000RR-Motorrad-Motorsport-Fairing-3.jpg

Hi, you're link didn't work. That's probably the hardest part, creating something custom that you like and will be timeless. I've spent many evenings over winter trying to design something. If I do create something i like, I come back to it a couple of weeks later to see if it still looks fresh. Never had any problems with any of my bodywork. Most come with heat reflectors and if not it's cheap to buy. No cracking, melting, mounting points breaking. I find the OE BMW fairing plastic mounts break all the time if it's cold.

Ducky, Thanks for the pics. Actually they look pretty good as well. And for a fairing that is being used for track work and still looks good on the road, you cannot really go wrong. Value is really good too!

JamiesMac, odd that it didn't work. It was the silver and red colour they were displaying on their site. I think if you are doing custom, like you say you need to come back later on to it and still like it. Which i think in my case i am better off keeping with the OE look. And yes you are right the OE mounts arent the best on the BM. I have found a couple damage and no idea how it happened.

Nav, The Fireblade fairings are the worst. The mounts are so thin and brittle. Common warranty replacement on them. It's a bit like recent BMW Cars, Audi etc with their ultra thin windscreens. One of the guys I work with have had 7 replaced on his 5 Series and is on his 3rd on his new Audi. All to save weight.

Surprised to hear the Honda had brittle mounts, usually one thing Hondas are good at are strength and reliability.

Honda are like Toyota now.... Toyota used to be the most reliable cars, but have continuous recalls now. At least the Fireblade is the only bike still made in Japan.

Got all the fairings unpacked now so I can have a better inspection, sadly one of the pieces had been scuffed in transit, so I'll have to touch it up or something.

DcXKtNZ.jpg

And an example of where the lettering is wrong, on one side the characters are lower resulting in no red under the '4' (it's not like this on the advertised fairings on the tile background).

SOToEKo.jpg

And how it should be on the other side.

GwHdatT.jpg

Some of the striping isn't perfect either, but to be honest I wasn't expecting perfection for the price, and I'm not going to be to fussed if it gets scuffed up/chipped in use now, compared to the original fairings where every chip was met with an 'arragghhh'! lol

:)

Back