poor running in low gears

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dan2018

Hi all, I have a completely standard 2013 s1000rr and recently it has started running rough, like it's running on 3 cylinders, in 1st and 2nd gears until about 4k rpm. the problem persists for about half an hour then goes away . Bike has done 18k and has just had oil and air filter change.

Any ideas ? Cheers in advance Dan.

Sounds like one of the small injectors isn't working right.
Probably worth having the tank off and checking all 8 are connected properly.

- Alex

Did you have the valve clearances done at your service?
If so, check the coils are all pushed home correctly as well as the connectors to each and spark plugs are tight. We?ve seen this before.

Thanks all for replies, If I got a diagnostic gadget would the culprit show up as a fault?

Haven't had the tank off, the only thing that's been moved is the ECU to get access to the air filter to put a reusable filtrex filter in, could I have disturbed something while doing this?

Why hasn't it had the valves check at 18k per the service guide?

You could have an air leak from a poorly fitted filter (not sealed).

- Alex

Thanks Alex, I have had the bike for 6 months and the valves were checked by the dealer prior to purchase. I checked the air filter last night and it was all secure, it seems weird that the fault only ocurs in the first half hour of riding...

Mine (a 2014) started doing exactly this.

It was a bad coil.

Change your spark plug caps / coils :)

Thanks everyone,

I thought it had had the valve clearances done but it seems not, so I'll get them done and change the plugs and check the coils at the same time,

cheers.

Quick update, took out the coils and tested their resistance - all good. Removed the plugs and one was corroded the enamel looked like it had overheated. Put in a set of new plugs and bike is running perfectly. Thanks for all the accurate diagnosis, I'll post a pic of the plug when permitted. Cheers.

Quick update, took out the coils and tested their resistance - all good. Removed the plugs and one was corroded the enamel looked like it had overheated. Put in a set of new plugs and bike is running perfectly. Thanks for all the accurate diagnosis, I'll post a pic of the plug when permitted. Cheers.

Picture uploads are limited to subscribed members (Premier Members) you're welcome to subscribe or if you can host elsewhere and link to it that would work too.

Glad you found and fixed the issue.

Back