Which van to buy

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used mid-sized SWB can for trackdays/races.

Have budgeted 5-6k for it. Looking at 3 options

Ford Transit custom
VW transporter
Renault Traffic

Have no clue about vans, apart from rental experience. They all more or less drive the same. I believe Renault is the most fuel savvy.

What mileage is safe to buy these days ? Is 100k still okay if serviced properly?

Any help or advises would be very appreciated!

had a few vans with my business over years Renault = electrical problems galore . vw = great vans but overpriced . transit = great vans bullet proof engine as long as body is ok ,, s history a must oil changes regularly

I?ve got a Vivaro it?s a 2008, when it?s going it?s perfect but to they?re pieces of shit. Just cost me ?900 to have 2 injectors fitted which is really common on them.

I?m actually looking for a second van at the minute and I?m swaying towards a Vito LWB. The twin doors means strapping the bike in is really easy and you can still get 2 bikes in them if you wanted to.
I?m sure the Vito has its problems like everything else but for me the TVP (trafic, Vivaro, Primastar) just have too many reliability issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a 1.9 vivaro for over 10 years, and can't fault it. It's done nearly 150k, and only properly let me down once, when a wire to the fuel pressure sensor rubbed through.
Other than normal wear and tear parts, it's not had any problems. Couple of electrical wiring problems, but just due to it being an old van which you'd get from any manufacturer. The 1.9 doesn't suffer the same stuck I hector problems as the 2.0 liter. Gearboxes are a common fault, but normally caused by incorrect oil type being used.

I bought a 2014 primastar and have put 180k miles on it I keep on top of maintenance and service every 15k klms. Brilliant van. And iv exhaust gutted and mapped up to 140bhp.

Wider than a transporter. More comfort than a transit. Better on fuel than both.

Toyota Hi-Ace is small enough for underground. Tend to be cheap as un-loved but it's a Toyota so should be reliable.

Edit: Hiace or Proace

Last edited:
Back