Tool suggestions?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zxcv12

Reaction score
It?s been 6 months of organising somebody else, and a lot of hard work but I?ve finally got the S1 in a suitable mancave (garage conversion with knock through). So, now the fun starts! I?m looking for suitable tools to equip the garage as I?m keen to do my own servicing when I can. I?m looking on amazon (don?t do eBay yet) and want some must have tools. I think I?ll need a ?torx? set of drivers, but there seems to be torx+ too? What do I need to keep the bike happy? Any other suggestions for ?must have? tools welcome too. I?ve got a torque wrench, but it?s a brute suitable for the axle nut only, any suggestions for something that?ll do the small stuff too?All suggestions welcome, I?m sure there?s lots of stuff I haven?t thought of, and won?t know about until I need it. I do have piles of tools, but they?re all made of case hardened cheese or only suitable for children building Lego...
Amazon only!
The bike is out of warranty, and I?d rather do it myself from here on.
Thanks

Buy a lift mate, one of my three "best life buys"......

Heres the EB link to the one I bought.. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263934256118

The other two....

1st place must go to ...Dummy Tits
2nd Place.... ................Captive Spacers (credit to this man)..

8e764d7c4789a7a65217ebc1937cf856.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
gs911 to access ecu
oil filter strap wrench
plug spanner
I've got a universal car gearbox plug remover which does front axle nicely and is much cheaper than "proper tool"

ABBA sky lift. T handle Torx. Torx sockets. Halford?s professional socket set (only buy when half price). Long nose pliers. Stool with wheels. Fan heater. Fridge. Decent screwdrivers. Tool chest / roll cab.
Worth checking Facebook marketplace for local stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coil Puller Tool, Air Compressor (Vertical), Halfords Professional Tools are great including 0-60Nm Torque Wrench, Bike Lift, Feeler Gauges, Ikea Kitchen... you can go a bit mad on stuff, but you can never have enough tools! J

https://flic.kr/p/2gLbzYe
https://flic.kr/p/2gLbASU
Now thats a proper workshop.... if mine was that big I'd never be out of it...

A proper bike lift makes working on your bike a joy... get it bought !

0e6f19fc580277886a35633f53aa2685.jpg
1d1da28a5c15a2b16775ac061f36b5ca.jpg
4633e960d90550b42bade539a8ec5164.jpg

Last edited:
I?m just trying to finalise my own.

Picked up some cheap kitchen carcasses and some carpet tiles from eBay and fitted a sink. Best thing I did was put a sink in the garage for washing my grubby hands.
Although most of my tools are Snap-On it?s only because they?re from when I was an apprentice and didn?t spend money on anything else back then lol. If I need anything these days, Halfords are great value for money and good quality that are more than enough for the home mechanic.
A decent work bench and a vice is a must.

The carpet tiles make a big difference and are cheap especially if you go for the reclaimed tiles and can collect them yourself.

Here?s the garage before I started to get all domesticated with it.

b7f839af5a8f3263924084225d8da371.jpg

402617bbdbbb27e53c6e682138e7d7af.jpg

And how it is now:

6617814e57cc887c5b97d0ecafbdabce.jpg

eea642c32c5a557546c94d37da5087a8.jpg

32fbe96a97a6412f482933f43ecc758a.jpg

888a22f8385719331c9c31d0e81a145e.jpg

a25a6db1e4709ea47b1e5f7f4e068e52.jpg

7a10fc7bd170ad20635d25d727a6cfcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good suggestions thanks, a bike lift is out of budget for now and it?s only a single garage not a warehouse like some of these! Halfords seems to be the place to go for their pro set and torx T sets. I do have the fridge and stool on wheels, the flooring is sorted with some interlocking heavy duty foam pads which are a joy to kneel on. A 0-60nm torque wrench and a car gearbox plug remover will get me started. A gs911 can wait until I need one as I probably wouldn?t know what to do with it yet.

Good suggestions thanks, a bike lift is out of budget for now and it?s only a single garage not a warehouse like some of these! Halfords seems to be the place to go for their pro set and torx T sets. I do have the fridge and stool on wheels, the flooring is sorted with some interlocking heavy duty foam pads which are a joy to kneel on. A 0-60nm torque wrench and a car gearbox plug remover will get me started. A gs911 can wait until I need one as I probably wouldn?t know what to do with it yet.

The Halfords pro tools are good. Do make sure to buy a set when they are half price- they do this very regularly throughout the year.

Fwiw, Teng Tools are really nice. But the Halfords range takes some beating for VFM.

34mm socket for the rear (oem) axle bolt.
24mm allen hex needed for the front axle.

Those 2 usually don't come in a kit.

Brake pad spreaders are quite handy. I have a flat bladed, 'X-Tools Pro Brake Piston Press' from Evans cycles.

- Alex

I'd second Teng Tools, great quality and value. Got a 3/8 drive socket set that I've had for 22 years!

Don't think it really matters with the make as long as you use the right tool for the right job. Like in life, treat them as you would like to be treated....

Aldi have a 1/2 drive Torque Wrench in just now... includes 3 sockets plus an extension.. 3yr warranty, fairly sure it's German made and the sockets look to be Flank Drive... 60nm to 150nm I think.. amazing vfm for 20 quid..

Last edited:
Back