Redbull Ring, Rehm Racing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I?ve been on sport 3 for the last few events and switched first to sport 1 and then to race 3 At Mugello. The tracks are so grippy TC hardly ever cuts in but it did save my ass a couple times during the race when I got over excited!

Metzeller and Pirelli slicks; they work well on the BMW. I?m a big fan of the Dunlop KR106/108 slicks but I?ve not set the bike up for them and they are very expensive.

Well done chap, must be the go faster haircut!

- Alex
Haha\ the haircut was the result of a drunken evening after Redbull Ring. It seemed a great idea at the time and I liked the mohawk but it was so badly done I had to shave it off this morning before going to work! Deffo want to grow a decent one back again!!

Metzeller and Pirelli slicks; they work well on the BMW. I?m a big fan of the Dunlop KR106/108 slicks but I?ve not set the bike up for them and they are very expensive.

Strange that, could never get the wear good with Pirelli's whatever I did, changed to vo2's and never looked back. But, not at your speed !

I found with stock suspension the wear was reasonable but with the Mupo I have now the tyre wear is almost always perfect as long as I use a logical compound. The only tear I've had this year has been a rear SC1 at Redbull ring. The SC2 that was left on from the UK was fine and I thought the SC1 would have better grip due to the heat but the track temperature was not as hot there as I expected which I think caused the tyre to tear perhaps. Once I got to Mugello where it was very hot it cleaned that tyre up and the next couple I used were perfect again. I couldn't use Pirelli or Metzeller on the Panigale R at all, they were too soft and would collapse but they are good on the BMW. I like the Bridgestone V02 front but I'm not a fan of the rear, it doesn't drive as well as the Pirelli or Dunlop for me but I would use them since they are very good value and last well.

100% agree on the drive grip on the V02.
Dunlops are better.
But the front is mega and I need confidence in that area most.

- Alex

Unfortunately my 4 days @ Mugello were a total disaster.

I bumped & low-sided into an Italian guy before turn 10 who thought to overtake his mate on inside but suddenly changed his mind and merged back into my line.

I ended up with 2 destroyed wheels, a slow oil leak from the timing cover and lost few rivets on Akra muffler.

I managed to find wheels for rent, second hand timing cover and did 2:07 on 45t the day after.

Unfortunately the next day the noice police (who randomly tests bikes on pit entry) forced me to put baffle in, that caused too much back pressure that forced the whole Akra carbon fiber shell to come off (as it was partly un-riveted).

I managed to find a second hand muffler and hoped to have few good runs last day on 43t but the luck was not on my side, as the M32 screw on second hand timing cover decided to come off on pit exit. I almost high sided as oil came all over the place, but managed to safely return to the pit mid-track.

******* hell.

Jesus HC. I hate people changing line abruptly.

To smash the wheels and not bend the rest of the bike sounds very lucky.

Not a happy trip but I am glad you're ok.

- Alex

Last edited:
Jesus HC. I hate people changing line abruptly.

To smash the wheels and not bend the rest of the bike sounds very lucky.

Not a happy trip but I am glad you're ok.

- Alex
Thank you! The rear is cracked but front is delaminated while bike was sliding on tarmac.

I did low-side myself, but because I was on hard brake to avoid the contact, the rear went up into the air and when the contact happened, my front just tilted and the bike landed on the rear wheel.

I can defo say GB racing timing/pulse cover protector is a piece of crap. When bike slides on tarmac, the bottom part is not protected at all. This resulted in small cracks in BMW cover that caused the slow oil leak. I ordered Woodcraft cover as replacement.

On bright side, Bonamici clipons and rearsets are amazing. The right footpeg took majority of damage. It got halved in size while the bike was sliding, but it hardly bent at all. In fact, I re-used the screw for a replacement peg.

All in all the damage is:

2 wheels
Foot peg
Pulse/timing cover
Akra muffler (worked fine without the baffle in)
Few dents on fairings, but it holds fine

Last edited:
My GB cover saved my bike, guess its all to do with the angles etc

- Alex
It is indeed. I was probably unlucky as the footpeg got halved in size and hence causing more pressure on the protector of timing cover.

Anyway, if you look at woodcraft design vs GB, it's bigger and hopefully will guard better if this is to happen again.

Last edited:
Unfortunately my 4 days @ Mugello were a total disaster.

I bumped & low-sided into an Italian guy before turn 10 who thought to overtake his mate on inside but suddenly changed his mind and merged back into my line.

I ended up with 2 destroyed wheels, a slow oil leak from the timing cover and lost few rivets on Akra muffler.

I managed to find wheels for rent, second hand timing cover and did 2:07 on 45t the day after.

Unfortunately the next day the noice police (who randomly tests bikes on pit entry) forced me to put baffle in, that caused too much back pressure that forced the whole Akra carbon fiber shell to come off (as it was partly un-riveted).

I managed to find a second hand muffler and hoped to have few good runs last day on 43t but the luck was not on my side, as the M32 screw on second hand timing cover decided to come off on pit exit. I almost high sided as oil came all over the place, but managed to safely return to the pit mid-track.

******* hell.
Jesus, sounds a right nightmare mate :( I'm surprised you had a problem with the Akra; is it a short one? One of the big reasons I use the BMW is because it is so much quieter than the Panigale.

Jesus, sounds a right nightmare mate :( I'm surprised you had a problem with the Akra; is it a short one? One of the big reasons I use the BMW is because it is so much quieter than the Panigale.
Nope, long one. I was fine one day, but exceeded 105 the day after. A guy from Aberdeen on Gen1 with same pipe was also stopped twice and exceeded the limit second time. He put a baffle in, re-measured and took it out immediately. I should have done the same...

Am sorry to hear of your RR’s damage @bmwbadboy but glad to hear you’re alright.

That was certainly one nightmare of a trip!

Nope, long one. I was fine one day, but exceeded 105 the day after. A guy from Aberdeen on Gen1 with same pipe was also stopped twice and exceeded the limit second time. He put a baffle in, re-measured and took it out immediately. I should have done the same...

Get caught with it out when it should be in then it's home time

Back