Help! Engine started tapping?!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomLum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

ive got a 2015 S1000rr. I was on a track day at Bedford this weekend and the last lap of a session I started to hear my bike making a strange sound. I can only describe it as a sowing machine, tapping sound that matches the speed of the revs. Now I know the engine is mechanical sounding and noisy anyway but this is loud and very obvious. Any ideas what it could be? I'm filling with dread at the though of the cost of BMW having the strip it down and fix something.

Many thanks in advance!

If it's matching the rev speed then it's bottom half.If it were half speed it would be top half.

Try the long screwdriver to the ear trick-with engine running,touch the screwdriver at various points on the engine to locate the noise.

Ive read a few threads now about gen 3's with cam coating issues and them resulting in getting chewed up and tapping. Is this likely to have happened? The bikes got 8.5k on the clock. Its got full BMW history, I wonder if BMW would have any sympathy if that's the case.

Thanks guys, ill give them a call and see how I get on. Fortunately I have a trailer so can get it to them as assuming they will want to inspect it in person.

If it's matching the rev speed then it's bottom half.If it were half speed it would be top half.

���� Tom don’t tell bmw this, they will laugh at you

UPDATE

Took the bike into main dealer, they diagnosed it and found the cams and followers were knackered. Top end rebuild and I have the bike back.

Bike is a 2015 with ~8500 miles

That's good that they are paying towards it. Is it a good will gesture, or do you have an extended warranty?
It was goodwill due to bikes low milage, condition and full BMW history. Those expensive services have paid off!

It was goodwill due to bikes low milage, condition and full BMW history. Those expensive services have paid off!

That's great, and very good of them really does show that it's worth paying the annual service charge. Did you tell them it started on track?

I had mine in the other day, and was considering that being its last BMW service, but after reading this I think it's worth continuing for another few years.

That's great, and very good of them really does show that it's worth paying the annual service charge. Did you tell them it started on track?

I had mine in the other day, and was considering that being its last BMW service, but after reading this I think it's worth continuing for another few years.

They didn't ask about track use, but they did say if it was obviously being hammered on the track or the bike wasn't in excellent condition it would work against me when raising a case to BMW.

Back