2016 rr vs 2019 rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robtno1

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals I?ve test rode the 2019 sport for a day and a half and the M sport for an hour.

Now I previously had a 16 done a few track days at brands gp and Indy thruxton and Bedford autodrome.

Last year an off duty ambulance driver pulled out in front of me and I thought it?s time to get rid of it at that point but up until then I swore I?d never get rid of it.

Anyway the crash happened nearly a year ago and I got paid out and eventually third party had to accept liability.

My thing is this the 16 I loved the look of and generally just loved that bike so in my year long wait so far for the 19 and going to Germany and Milan for the shows awaiting the 19 to only not feel the same as the 16.

The new bike is far lighter and agile fantastic tft screen which I have on the GS Raylle but I felt the 19 was hard to find neutral on both m sport and sport.....

We?re seeing people buying the 19/20 and getting rid of them possibly can?t keep up the payments and just had to have it to boost their utube views who knows.

Personally I feel the 19 bike looks unfinished hard seat but at the same time the whole front led lights has grown on me .

I definitely felt the new bike is more race inspired and I did feel more fatigued than I did on the 16 but that could just be lack of sports bike riding for a year !

I do have ?500 deposit on the 19 , the thing is rapid and way out of my skill set but I?m almost tempted to go back to a 16, I guess I?m writing this to weigh up the pros and cons.

Another thing is I have a load of parts for the 16.

20k for a bike I believe has to blow me away I?m not sure it?s quite there yet just my two pence worth maybe a couple of gens it will be complete in my opinion.

I know things can be changed but the 16 for me I kept stock pretty much with the usuals tail tidy and protection.

So my question to you Guys is what?s your thoughts on the new bike have you test ridden it yet and do you have the last gen or still do ?

Last edited:
I had a 16RR Full HP everything. I was looking at a 19 (obvs at the time not knowing what it would be like bar that oft produced shot of that fat bloke on that prototype) but last August got took out overtaking a negligent C*not leaving me with a broken T12 L1 L4 11 months on with incomplete spinal injury. Progressed so far to limited walking with zimmer frame. If I had been in the position I was in, I wouldn't swap the 16 for the new bike. The 16 imho was the zenith of the 1st 3 gen's. I know its early days in Superstock form but Tyco are the official team and I know Andy Reid likes a crash or 3 but he ain't a slow rider and the bike ain't exactly wiping the floor with everything else out there. I did scoot along to my local Motorrad dealer to look at an M sport. It looks cheaply finished and needs way more spending on it to look good than a Gen 3 does. Ain't rode one obvs and unless I'm lucky enough to be on a trackbike in the next 2 yrs I wont but not a 20k bike lookswise. And unless you are tracking it or racing then the difference on the road on balance is negligible.

I had a 16RR Full HP everything. I was looking at a 19 (obvs at the time not knowing what it would be like bar that oft produced shot of that fat bloke on that prototype) but last August got took out overtaking a negligent C*not leaving me with a broken T12 L1 L4 11 months on with incomplete spinal injury. Progressed so far to limited walking with zimmer frame....

Am gutted for you @alol
I hope that in time you?re able to make a full recovery

Cheers guys. Thanks for the sentiments & you all try & stay safe out there.

Completely understand where your coming from with ur injuries....broke my neck in 3 places, spine in 2, scapula, sternum ribs, foot and collasped left lung.... Time is a healer....gotta walk before you can run. Hope the healing process is a good one mate.

Hi guys. I test rode the 2019/20 s1000rr sport in June. I have a 2018 version and also a 2019 s1000xr. I rode the XR to pick up the test bike as a torque comparator. I was really hoping that the new bike would seriously scream buy me buy me, but I have to say I was .... well ..... underwhelmed. No doubt the new bike with all its track electronics will be mega, but it just didnt excite me as much as the XR. It was super smooth and very quick but I just didnt think it was as good as the XR on the road. I have had every incarnation of gens 1 to 3 on track and found them all to be great in that environment with minor differences in performance. The main difference to me was the addition of the auto blipper which was a significant step change. I tried a gen 3 with Carbon wheels which was also another step change. So for me its stick with what I have. I know other people (Chris Eades etc) rave about its abilities on track and indeed go quicker, but if you specked up a gen 3 with carbon wheels and good suspension I am sure it would be an equally good track bike. Only time and a bit more evidence will tell.

Bloody the crash aftermath sounds pretty hardcore , sorry to hear and hope your back on a bike soon !

I love my 16 and I?m very tempted to get another only thing is finding one which hasn?t been abused .

I feel the 19 looks unfinished to me need s a belly pan as there?s too much on show !

Ive got use to the aesthetics of the 19 and like it but like other members have said I?m not sure I?m blown away.

The 16 was my first sports bike and my god I was in love with it straight away I loved how it looked performed the whole shabang.

19 is a grower I do have a GS, ok don?t kill me as it has the tft screen which is pretty cool, but my heart is on a sports bike .

So its been a year without my 16rr and like I said In the earlier post I was expecting the same blow my hair back with the 19,

For sure it does look good, better in person and is undoubtably faster than the 16, feels more like the Ducati V4?s to be truthful !

But 20k just seems like too much for not taking the number one spot but compare to the v4r and on price it wins hands down.

But 20k just seems like too much for not taking the number one spot but compare to the v4r and on price it wins hands down.

Not taken the No.1? From what? MCN put it first for road bikes. They had the V4S as the previous years best.

Yeah I don?t go off magazines/ papers that promote a brand !

I?m saying that the 16 was the best road bike money could buy the all can do bike !

This new bike is definitely more raced inspired so I?m talking personally .

I?m not sure the 19 has the all round fit for me anymore not straight out of the box ergonomically just is no way as comfortable, hard to get into neutral that tail light ain?t a deal breaker but carbon wheels on the m sport more of cost when it comes to changing tyres possibly .

Tft screen is probably the best in the biz though.

So for me the 16, I could just jump on and ride track road tour well I never toured on it but to me it was that good !

Maybe this discussion with you makes me realise how good the 16 is just wish it had that new screen and it would be perfect .

A superbike is top first as a road bike ?

MCN and the likes are at the level of DM, yellow press that you usually take to the shitter to avoid getting bored.

MCN and the likes are at the level of DM, yellow press that you usually take to the shitter to avoid getting bored.

I've got a '15 RR, 1098RS and TL1000R and I've made all of them more comfortable than my actual tourer... NT700 with all the accessories. Too much weight on your arse and lower back, seat too soft. Toured on Sports bikes most of my life. Far better tourers and better in the mountains

Of the Superbikes ffs...seriously did I have to explain that?

- Alex

I've got a '15 RR, 1098RS and TL1000R and I've made all of them more comfortable than my actual tourer... NT700 with all the accessories. Too much weight on your arse and lower back, seat too soft. Toured on Sports bikes most of my life. Far better tourers and better in the mountains
How something that you ride in a shrimp position can be a better tourer?

Better in the mountain setting a world record between point A and B - yes agree. Better overall, no. Mainly due to riding position.

Better in the mountain setting a world record between point A and B - yes agree. Better overall, no. Mainly due to riding position.

Raise the bars by 80mm (Gilles Bars), lower the footrests by 25mm down and 25mm back, Skidmarx TT Screen... not Shrimp position anymore. :lemo: Perfect

Raise the bars by 80mm (Gilles Bars), lower the footrests by 25mm down and 25mm back, Skidmarx TT Screen... not Shrimp position anymore. :lemo: Perfect
Why buying sportbike only to make naked out of it ?

XR/GS, Multi/PikesPeak, Superduke there are so many excellent tourers out there.

Why do people keep moaning about the gen4-if you don't like it,then don't buy one.
I always remember back in 2010 when a mate saw my new m/sport RR,the first thing he said was"I'd never buy one of them-I don't like those stupid lights".
Nothing to do with the fact he couldn't afford one!

I?ve toured on sit up and beg and a Gen3 in the UK and Europe. After 300 miles you ache with all of them.
Personally I have no issues with the miles on a sports bike and I?m not a small chap. If your bike fit there should be no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back