Morning

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidster

Reaction score
A very good morning to you all from perpetually-sunny Pretoria.

Still waiting for our new RR's to arrive here. From the looks of things on here it may be some time.

Alex

A very good afternoon to you too, from a periodically Sunny England!

What Gen 4 model have you ordered and what sort of riding do you enjoy?

I?m sure the new RR will be more than worth the wait [emoji846]

- Oli

Hi Oli,

I'm a BMW Motorrad dealer, I've been with Motorrad since 2004 in the UK and 2011 in SA.

It appears that we're as much in the dark about the whole delivery schedule / ETA as the dealers back home in the UK.

Hoping for some good news soon.

A

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes RR's are extremely popular here, especially with the black riders and their clubs. There's also an official RR cup run by BMW Motorrad SA.

It's a bit of a strange bike to choose here though, unless you're at the track every weekend or live in KZN or the Cape. The roads up here at altitude on the Highveld are generally just arrow-straight so there's not an awful lot in the way of corners. Great if you want to max it out though.The roads in KZN and the Cape are a lot more interesting and twisty. Plus at the altitude we're at there's a power loss compared to sea level of around 18%. Very noticeable if you ride down to the coast.

Yes the GS is extremely popular as you'd expect. It's easily the most popular bike in the country, they're absolutely everywhere. Much like at home in the UK. However, at least here you can use it like it was designed for. You could ride from here to Cape Town ( or anywhere for that matter ) and never touch a tar road if you don't want to. Plus a lot of the back roads aren't in the greatest of condition ( lots of huge pot holes and bumps ) and it soaks them up with ease.

South Africa does have its problems, of that there's no doubt. However having lived here for the past 9 years, I can honestly say it's absolute motorcycling utopia. The police are pretty rubbish to fair, most people ride without numberplates, you can ride as fast as you want pretty much anywhere ( if that's your thing ), the scenery is stunning and the weather's awesome ( obvs ):fat:. Although general driving standards are pretty awful for the public (you need to keep your eyes well and truly open all of the time). Fuel is cheap as chips, track days are a fraction of the cost of back home and every trip you make feels like an adventure. It's pretty cool. I'd thoroughly recommend it to anybody.

A

Back