2020 R1 & R1M Revealed

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed with Alex's comments. The R1 is definitely the easiest litre bike to jump on and go fast. The corner exit electronics are way better than the stock BMW and it flatters the rider and has good feel all round. The BMW is a brute when you start riding it at the limits and quite difficult to get setup to be more friendly. You have to slow down and square corners off much more on the BMW as opposed to the flowing lines of the Yamaha. On the other hand the BMW is definitly faster than the R1 if you can have enough faith in the slightly wooden and stiff front end hence doing so well in Superstock. The R1 has some pretty serious issues with engines blowing after oil changes if you dont prime it as per the manual that Yamaha will not admit as well, I've not heard anything about the engine being revised for this release? It's naturally probably more my type of bike with it being light and powerful but I was put off by this.

Re: 2020 R1 & R1M Revealed

Interesting, makes me want to try R1.

I've also noticed recently seeing more R1s at trackdays than S1000.

Last edited:
Its just a newer generation bike and started getting popular for track and race now it's been developed for a few years, won stuff and there's second hand spares around. The BMW is at the end of it's development cycle and people are looking at the latest and greatest alternatives. It is a bargain because of that though, my team mate has a new R1 and I'm glad I chose the BMW instead of the R1.

Its just a newer generation bike and started getting popular for track and race now it's been developed for a few years, won stuff and there's second hand spares around. The BMW is at the end of it's development cycle and people are looking at the latest and greatest alternatives. It is a bargain because of that though, my team mate has a new R1 and I'm glad I chose the BMW instead of the R1.
I wish I could have both lol

Back