Sidestand Question...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elchapoRR

Reaction score
Evening all,

Not sure if anyone has had this happen before, but one of the bolts securing the sidestand somehow worked itself loose this evening. No idea how?

I only realised when I turned a sharp left hand bend near home and heard something scraping on the floor. At first I thought it may have been my toe nails, but on closer inspection I could see the sidestand hanging down.

I thought I would share this as it is quite an oddity and something I've never had happen.
3670f27414e0e85c35cc448b9dc7fb09.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Agreed with Alex...unlikely a factory issue, but then again...

Some threadlock and a firm nip up with 1/2" Drive gear mate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

my track bike dose this about twice a year. thread locked every time but still works loose. ive just refit it after the bolt actually fell out at donny a few weeks ago. luckily the belly pan caught it. ive just fit a slightly longer bolt now with stronger tread lock.

my track bike dose this about twice a year. thread locked every time but still works loose. ive just refit it after the bolt actually fell out at donny a few weeks ago. luckily the belly pan caught it. ive just fit a slightly longer bolt now with stronger tread lock.

Might be an idea to drill and lockwire the bolts

Yeah had this happen to both my 2016 and 18 plus the Mrs 2016 and 18. Seems to be a common issue. I just keep an eye on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the messages guys.

I went into Bahnstormer Alton today and they said that the bolts should screw from the back side of the sidestand towards the outside of the bike... I can't screw the bolt in from the back side.

It came lose 3 times in about 30 minutes. Ridiculous.

Thanks for the messages guys.

I went into Bahnstormer Alton today and they said that the bolts should screw from the back side of the sidestand towards the outside of the bike... I can't screw the bolt in from the back side.

It came lose 3 times in about 30 minutes. Ridiculous.

Really from the sump side !... take it you would need to start disconnecting and moving things about to get the bolts in...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

i knew yours looked different to mine. mine do bolt from the inside. i just assumed yours was a later gen. that must mean your bolts can go all the way through so is if is the case then use longer bolts with locking nuts. :)

i knew yours looked different to mine. mine do bolt from the inside. i just assumed yours was a later gen. that must mean your bolts can go all the way through so is if is the case then use longer bolts with locking nuts. :)
Had.no.idea.
Wow...will look at mine next time but its got Alpha rearsets which does change some of the mounting.

- Alex

Had.no.idea.
Wow...will look at mine next time but its got Alpha rearsets which does change some of the mounting.

- Alex

Same problem on my 2016. It was literally hanging by a couple of threads on a ride last year, luckily I was only 5 mins away from the dealer. They picked it up immediately as a ?known issue? and got a tech to torque it back up with loads of blue gunk (locktight?). It?s only happened once and it?s now a routine pre-ride check.
Many years ago in the 70?s, somebody I knew lost a kidney when they took a corner with their side stand down....CHECK YOUR SIDESTANDS!

It's a very odd thing to have happen.

Got some thread lock on it this morning and used a mates ratchet, so fingers crossed this has sorted the issue.

Will definitely check before and during rides from now on. Will be in for a service in a month or so, so will get them to have a look at it for peace of mind.

Back