fork oil

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike g

Reaction score
thought i'd do this myself and use bmw oil - seems type 2 is now recommended for everything 11.5w - seems original was type 1, 7.5w. quite happy with standard - had it changed at dealers 18000 mile service now due again - (3&1/2 years ago), not sure if they would have used type 1 or 2. I've got some type 2 on order but spring compressor not arrived yet either.

any experience on the difference if any?

it's for uk road use - so I've ended up on the "comfort" settings (2010 bike).

any one done the job. Service disk says remove cartridge to pump out oil - Haynes says to pump out with it in place which would be my preferred option.

cheers!

When I do a lookup on the latest service DVD there are still a lot of bikes that they recommend the use of 7.5W fork oil. The only one I've found that wants 11.5 is the XR. The 7.5 Motul full synthetic works a treat in my '16 with DDC, and my wife's '14 R with DDC. Sorry can't help with the non-DDC unless you send me your VIN so I can look up properly.

As far as the actual service, it's only one more bolt (at the bottom) to take it all apart, and then you can clean it properly. But certainly just swapping the fluid will make a big improvement.

Back