Brake liquid re-use

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Do you guys re-use opened Motul 600 and if yes, what's the realistic expiry time of it ?

I use about half-bottle (250ml) for the front (dont really use rear so rarely bleed it) and feed bad throwing away remaining half.

Brake Fluid

It will all depend on how long it?s been opened for and where it?s been stored. I don?t think you will find any prescribed time before it goes ?off? given that brake fluid is hygroscopic. I regularly change my brake fluid after multiple trackdays and routinely use the same fluid from an open bottle. This is mainly because I use Castrol SRF, which although absolutely brilliant, is very expensive. I never experienced any problems during the course of a season by doing so. I would personally never use an opened bottle of fluid that?s been sat throughout the winter. Instead I always start a new season with fluid from a sealed container.

Last edited:
as long as lid is tight,used stuff well over 2 yrs old before with no issue.

Any doubt mate buy a fluid tester off EB.. their inexpensive. .

Out of curiosity I've tested my MC...it's showing zero as expected... the fluid in the cap is showing up to 1pc as the lid wasn't fully tightened on the bottle before I poured it there..... between 3pc and 4 pc a change is recommended !...

If my MC showed any trace of moisture I'd change immediately.. I'll leave the capfull open over night and check the moisture content over the next day or so.

Carlube fluid exceeds Specs for DOT4.. it's Tetrosyl manufactured so decent product albeit inexpensive and yes Morrisons/Asda sell it.... info for the fluid snobs out there lol...

See how cap full pans out next day or so... The bottlesgetting ditched .. unsure of the accuracy of the pen, however it's better than a guess..

NB: we'll use that as the control hamster !

5061f99eb8dfec2e1759b1dcde79f5dd.jpg
d3e924a538257a4aceee53e90293f388.jpg
839140f61b21d1359952189afb16d8e9.jpg
a5bac1e2405984a9712c5b7511afe81e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Any doubt mate buy a fluid tester off EB.. their inexpensive. .

Out of curiosity I've tested my MC...it's showing zero as expected... the fluid in the cap is showing up to 1pc as the lid wasn't fully tightened on the bottle before I poured it there..... between 3pc and 4 pc a change is recommended !...

If my MC showed any trace of moisture I'd change immediately.. I'll leave the capfull open over night and check the moisture content over the next day or so.

Carlube fluid exceeds Specs for DOT4.. it's Tetrosyl manufactured so decent product albeit inexpensive and yes Morrisons/Asda sell it.... info for the fluid snobs out there lol...

See how cap full pans out next day or so... The bottlesgetting ditched .. unsure of the accuracy of the pen, however it's better than a guess..

NB: we'll use that as the control hamster !

5061f99eb8dfec2e1759b1dcde79f5dd.jpg
d3e924a538257a4aceee53e90293f388.jpg
839140f61b21d1359952189afb16d8e9.jpg
a5bac1e2405984a9712c5b7511afe81e.jpg

Looks like a useful bit of kit!

Indeed it does - just ordered one for the heck of it. I have a half used bottle of fluid that got wrapped airtight in plastic last Sep and was thinking of using it to top up the bike...

Aye good wee bit of kit for a few quid.. takes the guess work out of the equation..... doubt I would be running any fluid at 3-4%, anything other than a negative reading is getting changed.

Last edited:
Aye good wee bit of kit for a few quid.. takes the guess work out of the equation..... doubt I would be running any fluid at 3-4%, anything other than a negative reading is getting changed.

Had a factor turn up at my business about 15 yrs ago selling testers like this. Every open bottle tested positive, then I opened and broke the seal of a new one and that showed positive lol

Had a factor turn up at my business about 15 yrs ago selling testers like this. Every open bottle tested positive, then I opened and broke the seal of a new one and that showed positive lol
I can't remember what I done yesterday never mind 15 years ago lol

1st image..24 hr open exposure in cap, emptied and cleaned cap and topped up with contents of open bottle so 2nd image after 24hr exposure in bottle with cap removed.

I would dispose of both... leaving a cap off for 1 day is almost as bad despite the reduced surface area by volume and neck restriction...

I've been guilty in the past of using old fluid..but that was a long time ago...

afaa4edec92f7109d749dd8486b44d38.jpg
a070fa814a3c13c300037ca53e622c80.jpg

Last edited:
Sealed its prob fine for a year.

I use the dearer brembo fluid till I run out of it. But I take 2 pumps out of master and both front calipers after each race.

Yep. Each weekend is one test day. I day qualifying and race 1. Day 2 race 2+3

Takes 2 mins and means I have good consistant brakes. All the time. Never a worry.

Yep. Each weekend is one test day. I day qualifying and race 1. Day 2 race 2+3

Takes 2 mins and means I have good consistant brakes. All the time. Never a worry.
Sounds a solid idea to me for the little time it takes.

Yep only front and master. Rear gets very rare use. Like at scrutiny

Stuartb your be amazed how many lads braking issues iv solved with a quick bleed.

A small bottle still lasts near a season

Back