I have rejected my bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noxx

Reaction score
Hi lads, just an update from me. I have formally rejected my M Sport and I am demanding a replacement bike. Loads of issues that couldn't be fixed and I've had enough. This is still the best bike I've ever owned and there's no way in hell I'd get a refund, but definitely demanding a new bike. Here's the letter I've sent to BMW UK and my dealer.

Hi Ben,

Hope you?re doing well. I hoped I wouldn?t need to use your email address when you gave it to me the last time we spoke on the phone, but here I am :(

First of all, I absolutely love my new S1000RR M Sport. It?s the best bike I?ve owned in years (including 2016 S1000RR), but.. I?ve had a lot of issues with my bike already.

1. The ?recall scare? where my dealer told me that there?s a repair scheduled for my machine, but in the end, upon visual inspection, determined it?s fine.

2. The left switch control unit died a few times on me. Everything was completely out and I couldn?t use safety relevant things such as high beam, high beam flasher, indicators, horn as well as pretty much all other functions controlled by that unit. The only temporary fix was to disconnect and reconnect the battery. My dealer ordered a new switch unit and installed it, but unfortunately this issue is still occurring. Just today it happened again and this can get really, really dangerous. For example when I can?t indicate or use my hazards.

3. My check engine light turns on occasionally and I get a rather shouty message saying something along the lines of ?fault in engine control - ride safely to next service station? - which is what I did. My dealer said that there were no fault codes saved in the ECU. However this is still happening from time to time and it?s does not encourage trusting my machine.

4. The rear brake line and ABS sensor cable were too long and touching off the hot exhaust system. My dealer has fixed this issue, but it?s still worth mentioning.

5. Neutral is virtually impossible to find. From the first gear to neutral is simply not happening. Sometimes I can shift from the second gear to neutral, but also that is only possible when the bike feels like it. My dealer already adjusted the clutch play, but it has not resolved this issue.

6. My gears get ?locked? sometimes. When I?m in the first gear it?s impossible to shift into second gear and sometimes when I?m in the second gear it?s impossible to shift into the first gear. The gear shifter just doesn?t move at all until I turn off my engine. This issue seems
to be happening randomly with no recognizable pattern at all. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn?t.

I?ve been to my dealer in regards to 4 & 5 today and they want to strip my engine / gearbox on the 29/07 as all external components (clutch lever, clutch cable, clutch play etc) seem to be fine, and I am absolutely not comfortable with that. Please don?t get me wrong, I know they have extremely highly skilled master mechanics that are factory trained, but stripping or just opening the engine and/or gearbox is just not something I want to be done on my brand new, fresh out of the box, 25.000,00 Euro motorcycle that has just about 1400 kilometers (869 miles) on its clock.

I?ve spoken to the CCPC (Irish Consumer Protection Commission) and they agree with me that this motorcycle can be considered as faulty goods and advised me to demand a full refund under my Irish statutory rights. Now, I don?t want my money back and I am sure you guys have a vested interest in keeping my money, however what I do want is this beauty of a motorcycle - in a fully operational and flawless version as one can expect when putting 25.000,00 Euro on the table.

I am therefore kindly asking you to swap my motorcycle for a new one that has been confirmed to be without faults (to the best of knowledge) and that does not have above problems.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
[noxx]

Ditto. Enough issues to warrant replacement.
Hope you get the result you want.

- Alex

Fair enough noxx, sounds like your bike has a lot of problems, I wouldnt want it either. Let us know how you get on.

I certainly wouldn't want my new engine opened up. BMW dealer mechanics rarely do internal engine work and certainly don't have any experience on this new model. Ducati dealer mechanics are very good engine rebuilders because they get a lot of practise (I own one) :)

I think you are correct in asking for a replacement bike. Your old one can go to press/trackday/testing uses. J

BMW UK got back to me saying that this is something that can be looked at, but my dealer needs to initiate the process as they are the ones liaising with BMW UK in order to source a replacement bike. Haven't heard anything from my dealer yet though. I suspect they ain't happy :p

BMW UK got back to me saying that this is something that can be looked at, but my dealer needs to initiate the process as they are the ones liaising with BMW UK in order to source a replacement bike. Haven't heard anything from my dealer yet though. I suspect they ain't happy :p

Thats correct about going through the dealer. I dont think the dealer will be upset, they didnt build the bike and have done what they can. Bmw uk will take the hit not the dealership.

Thats dissapointing to hear but if you are looking at open engine work then I dont blame you for demanding it.

Out of interest re your point about the gears sticking; are they sticking even when the clutch is pulled? it sounds like a common quick shifter issue otherwise?

Last edited:
just a mention did you finance it or cash ../ as if on finance they would get on your side , managed a full refund for my land rover discovery with their help

Thats dissapointing to hear but if you are looking at open engine work then I dont blame you for demanding it.

Out of interest re your point about the gears sticking; are they sticking even when the clutch is pulled? it sounds like a common quick shifter issue otherwise?
Even with the clutch fully pulled in. Only happens when standing still or below a certain rev range, but I don’t think I should have to speed up every time I want to change to first or second gear

Given that tale of woes I absolutely agree you noxx. The core of the thing might be exceptional, but living with those faults isn?t what most of us would want as a basis for long term reliability or sound mental health.

A workmate rejected his Gen 3, a spun-new 2015 model at that time, due to top end noise and vibration. The dealer argued for an engine replacement but he won the day.

Had very few issues with 3 but I?m beginning to consider that the annoying delay in getting my 4 M may be a worthwhile wait if it avoids the problems you?re seeing. Thanks for letting us all know matey.

Just read this thread... in line with the comments I think you are quite right, there's absolutely NO chance.....end of ! that I'd be happy with open surgery on a brand new machine, the gearbox issues are also worrying (with the clutch engaged)... plus that warning on the dash..

I always consider how would I feel about the matter in hand when travelling at speed !... for me I have to have 100% confidence on the high performance machine I'm sitting on top of... machine reliability is paramount, I'll happily take my chances with rider error and road conditions not with the above.

Keep us in the loop mate.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The way I see it is that this is a high performance motorcycle. It?s not a Renault Twingo I use for my daily commute or for hauling kitty litter in bulk. Any little fault can potentially be fatal. I have never, currently don?t and will never fully trust my Gen 4 and that is just something I can?t ignore. It?s constantly rattling in the back of my head and that?s why I?ve made this call.

I really hope that BMW will understand this and won?t kick up a fuss about the replacement, but if I have to I?ll force them to refund me and then I?ll rejoin you good people in waiting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.....Any little fault can potentially be fatal. I have never, currently don?t and will never fully trust my Gen 4 and that is just something I can?t ignore. It?s constantly rattling in the back of my head and that?s why I?ve made this call.

Couldn't agree more..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bugger. BM have delivered 10 bikes and one has been rejected already (that we know of). Good luck Noxx with the replacement.

Am I right in thinking these first bikes are classed as "hand built" as mass production has still not started yet?

Back