Cannons BMW Gen 4 test ride.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preynol1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I took out a Gen 4 RR sport from Cannons BMW. I must admit that as time has passed the styling of the new bike has grown on me. Not sure about the sport models colour of red, as in my mind thats reserved for Ducatis.

First impression upon sitting on the bike, is its narrow waist, wide low bars, and apparent lightness make it feel like a 600. Pegs are slightly higher than the Gen 3, but balanced with the wide bars overall the ergonomics are spacious. Not better or worse than the Gen 3, just different.

The only thing that lets it down is the seat, which is harder and less forgiving than the Gen 3. Im told the M sport is even worse. The general layout of cluster controls is the same as the Gen 3, except for the multi function wheel.

In terms of the new instrument panel display, its obviously light years ahead of the Gen 3 with multiple layouts of rev, speed, lean angle etc available. Its clear even on the brightest day in direct sunlight.
The available menu choices are staggering with some options hiding others. IE. As I found, if race mode is selected in one of the sub menus then dynamic and rain modes disappear and only race and pro race options are available. Not an issue but I hope the manual explains this fully and the user has to figure it out on there own like IPHONES.

Pulling away the bike I rode had a grabby clutch, but given the ultra slick quick shift and auto blipper it didn't cause any issues. Both at low revs (2K) and high up and down shift seemed smoother than the Gen 3 and more refined.

As other have said the engine has a smooth linear power curve, and span up quick. Not sure if this is solely down to the engine lightness and power or a more aggressive throttle map for race, compared with the Gen 3. Compared with the Gen 3 throttle response in race mode is definitely more reactive to inputs but not snatchy in any way.

Filtering and town work was easy due to the real world first gear and excellent fueling. On the open roads overtakes and progressive riding was a doddle and confidence inspiring power delivery. I found the brakes had all the power I needed on the road and the bike was stable and controlled, even when activating the ABS and lighting up all the segments in the brake display bar.

Handling was sharp but stable, which was a mixture of both the K3 tyres fitted and new chassis. For the first couple of roundabouts I had to correct my entry as the bike turned in a lot quicker than the Gen 3. However, in the bends it was stable and at no time felt vague or nervous. Changes in direction whilst at lean was easy and at no point did I feel at risk of paying an insurance excess for dropping it.

All in all it is a step forward and a fantastic toy, given more time im sure I would have discovered even more of what this bike could offer.

But would I by one.......not yet.

The only reason why NOT though is financial as it would cost me an additional ?7K plus my 2017 Gen 3.

Am I still happy with my Gen 3?

On the way home it still put a smile on my face and scared the SH&*t out of me so yes im happy........

Fantastic write-up Paul!
Really glad you enjoyed the test-ride, you were lucky with the weather, was spot on for it [emoji41]

That reminded me to post - I too have had a shot of the red one (because someone had driven into the dealer's M Sport... with 666 miles on the clock apparently...spooky...). As a result of the M sport's accident they had to give me the Sport version, with only 300 miles on the clock, so got lots of rev limit warnings... It had S22s, which my R has, and I know and trust.

Good
It is a bit more compact, but no worries. I'm 6"2 and no more/less comfortable than my Gen 2 (or my Gen 3 style S1000R)
Display, esp chance to hook own smartphone into for sat nav

Different:
As Paul said above, it feels different, not better or worse, just different. I have a Gen 2, Gen 3 feels similar, but given all the changes stands to reason Gen 4 has a different feel
Seat? didn't notice anything on the red one after 90 min ride

Bad:
The mirrors are awful - you can't see anything because they vibrate so much
I get what people are saying about the wind shield, I am hoping that a double bubble aftermarket might sort both that and give more stability to make the mirrors useful

Jury Out
Acceleration - tried it in all modes, and it didn't feel as exciting as the ride home on my Gen 2 - different power delivery might be summat to do with that, as might the fact it wasn't run it? Dunno - waiting for the M Sport to make a final call on this.

That reminded me to post - I too have had a shot of the red one (because someone had driven into the dealer's M Sport... with 666 miles on the clock apparently...spooky...). As a result of the M sport's accident they had to give me the Sport version, with only 300 miles on the clock, so got lots of rev limit warnings... It had S22s, which my R has, and I know and trust.

Good
It is a bit more compact, but no worries. I'm 6"2 and no more/less comfortable than my Gen 2 (or my Gen 3 style S1000R)

Different:
As Paul said above, it feels different, not better or worse, just different. I have a Gen 2, Gen 3 feels similar, but given all the changes stands to reason Gen 4 has a different feel

Bad:
I get what people are saying about the wind shield, I am hoping that a double bubble aftermarket might sort both that and give more stability to make the mirrors useful

Jury Out
Acceleration - tried it in all modes, and it didn't feel as exciting as the ride home on my Gen 2 - different power delivery might be summat to do with that, as might the fact it wasn't run it? Dunno - waiting for the M Sport to make a final call on this.

I thinks it?s the flat linear power delivery that takes some of the excitement out of it. Like a Honda with man sized power!
The +200bhp dyno runs and Speedo tell a different story to the feel when you open it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good

Different:

Bad:

Jury Out
I'm changing the OEM windscreen on mine for the BMW high windscreen, OEM screen is too low and I'm getting lots of turbulence compared to a Ducati V4. Mirrors are not the greatest but better than Ducati mirrors. Otherwise the bike is awesome.

Back