Michelin Power RS

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granted I can feel mine squirm a bit under hard corner exit acceleration, but it's predictable and progressive... anything predictable on a bike is good mind you.

Any advice on my chain adjusters without the washer ?.. just watched a 650i video they left the washer off...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Granted I can feel mine squirm a bit under hard corner exit acceleration, but it's predictable and progressive... anything predictable on a bike is good mind you.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

i ride fairly hard in the wet too and anything moving isnt good.lol. my mate was saying he was happy with the movement to start with and now hes thinking of changing back to the m7's

road only, i use dunlop KR's on track that dont move at all. i think this is why im not liking the movement of the RS. i tried the v02 slicks on track and they moved more than i like too. p.s. i was going to say dump the washer. :)
I think I liked the feel of them, when out today, felt really good in fast sweeping corners, and they were giving me confidence to crack it open quite hard coming out of bends. The abs was still intervening more than I'd like though, under heavy braking. Was only in sort mode, I'll need to try it in race next time out, see what the abs does then.

I don't consider myself a fast rider, and today was a very chilled out ride, just with a couple of wee bursts in the twisty bits. My mate on his death trap cbx can't lean over more than about 15 degrees without grinding the exhausts on the road!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe pressures are too low. I run 34f 36r and never noticed anything more than usual.

I think a saw somewhere the soft carcass needs higher pressure

Maybe pressures are too low. I run 34f 36r and never noticed anything more than usual.

It would make sense if it was low tire pressures, the heat today would of meant higher temps/pressures, so that might be why they were feeling better. It was that hot today, my mates bike went on its side, as the tar melted under his stand.

My mate on his death trap cbx can't lean over more than about 15 degrees without grinding the exhausts on the road!

Lol, I always wanted one when I was 16 or 17.. CBX, CB900, XS 1100, Kz1000, GS1000S were all the top dogs back then... 90 BHP, 450lbs, Toothpick Forks, pressed steel frames, shite electrics and lights, a bikini fairing if you were lucky....ooooh and crossplys lol...and petrol was ten bob a gallon.. them was the days

Mine are at about 32 front, 29 rear. Scorcher of a day here, and faith fully restored in them, and scrubbed in. Now just to hope that this won't be summer over in Scotland!

For road use(?), if so that is too low for the rear. Manufacturers generally use 36F/42R as a baseline pressure, so if you start at say 33/34F and 36-38R cold, then on a sporting ride you?ll probably find they achieve 36/42 psi hot, or as hot as they?ll get on road.
In my experience this works really well [emoji846]

Gary from Bridgestone did quite a good video on tyres a little while ago (see attached link)

https://youtu.be/01YlwusCSlE

+1, Dave Moss has done videos illustrating carcass variation, for soft carcasses you need higher pressures. I think he said in a video once that on the road he used to run a certain Michelin rear at 44 psi.

It would make sense if it was low tire pressures, the heat today would of meant higher temps/pressures, so that might be why they were feeling better. It was that hot today, my mates bike went on its side, as the tar melted under his stand.

Sorry to hear your friends bike dropped in heat, hopefully not too much damage?

Ambient temperature make quite the difference to tyre pressures even on road. If you start checking the hot temperatures immediately after a ride you might find that your cold base pressures vary slightly throughout the year

- Oli

... I probably will try the s22s next tho

I have been using them for the past couple thousand miles and am enjoying them.
They are very similar to the S21?s, so not fast steering but extremely confidence inspiring front end.
If you enjoyed the S21?s, S22?s are a great option [emoji1303]

Granted I can feel mine squirm a bit under hard corner exit acceleration, but it's predictable and progressive... anything predictable on a bike is good mind you. ...

I agree, it?s enjoyable to feel a bit of movement from time to time.
Michael Schumacher apparently used to enjoy sport cars with a pointy front end and a loose rear, or at least that?s what Clarkson claimed in a video once, and I think that sentiment applies rather well to motorcycling [emoji41]

Oh and you definitely got every ??s worth of value out of those Power RS?s [emoji2957]
Look forward to hearing what you think of the RS+! To my knowledge so the ?+? only available for the rear?

- Oli

Last edited:
For road use(?), if so that is too low for the rear. Manufacturers generally use 36F/42R as a baseline pressure, so if you start at say 33/34F and 36-38R cold, then on a sporting ride you’ll probably find they achieve 36/42 psi hot, or as hot as they’ll get on road.
In my experience this works really well [emoji846]

Gary from Bridgestone did quite a good video on tyres a little while ago (see attached link)

https://youtu.be/01YlwusCSlE

+1, Dave Moss has done videos illustrating carcass variation, for soft carcasses you need higher pressures. I think he said in a video once that on the road he used to run a certain Michelin rear at 44 psi.

Sorry to hear your friends bike dropped in heat, hopefully not too much damage?

Ambient temperature make quite the difference to tyre pressures even on road. If you start checking the hot temperatures immediately after a ride you might find that your cold base pressures vary slightly throughout the year

- Oli

Cheers for that Oli. I must take a long hard look at my life, because I found that video very interesting!!!

Is a sensible way to look at BMW recommended pressures as hot pressures, and aim to be in that ballpark after a spirited ride?

I've just been out in shed and increased to 34/38. Hopefully get out to try it after lunch, and deliberately try some heavy braking. See if it makes things a little better.

No damage at all to the bike, but I think he needs a new lid. As the bike landed on top of it!

Lol, I always wanted one when I was 16 or 17.. CBX, CB900, XS 1100, Kz1000, GS1000S were all the top dogs back then... 90 BHP, 450lbs, Toothpick Forks, pressed steel frames, shite electrics and lights, a bikini fairing if you were lucky....ooooh and crossplys lol...and petrol was ten bob a gallon.. them was the days

His CBX looks good, with a stupid wide tyre (think it's 280 or 250), billet rear wheel, custom made swing arm and z1000 seat unit. It also sounds brilliant with the 6 open trumpets on the carbs.

But my goodness, the handling is interesting to say the least. Feels like the front tyre has no air at all in it!

I'd love a GS 1000, my dad's friend has one he'd sell, but I can't justify another bike in the shed just now, when we're supposed to be saving for a wedding.

Cheers for that Oli. I must take a long hard look at my life, because I found that video very interesting!!!

Is a sensible way to look at BMW recommended pressures as hot pressures, and aim to be in that ballpark after a spirited ride?

I've just been out in shed and increased to 34/38. Hopefully get out to try it after lunch, and deliberately try some heavy braking. See if it makes things a little better.

No damage at all to the bike, but I think he needs a new lid. As the bike landed on top of it!

My pleasure, am glad you enjoyed the video [emoji846]

For road tyres, I certainly think so, but then I?m no tyre expert.
It is the pressure stated by both the tyre and motorcycle manufacturer though, so one must assume that they are being developed to run at those pressures.
In the winter I find I use 35/40, in the height of Summer it might do down to 33/36. In my mind, the benefit of going by hot pressure is that you?re reducing the number of variables. Regardless whether it?s winter of summer the amount of deformation in the tyre is consistent, so the handling is consistent. The tread remains open for when it rains and so the only variables are tyre and road temperatures.

Glad to hear your friends bike is alright, but what a shame about the helmet, hopefully the helmet was getting close to its service life so it?s too much of a sting!

- Oli

i run my RS+ rear at 38 and front at 36, may try them again at slightly lower on the rear. been for a run this morning on my m7rr's nd got 57 degrees on the right and 34 on the front so not much wrong with them. :)

If I may, can I ask why you needed the ABS at all? Following fast riders like Phil, who hardly uses the brakes, makes me think you're over-riding and need to reduce the amount you charge the corners.

Might enjoy the tyres more that way?

- Alex

i run my RS+ rear at 38 and front at 36, may try them again at slightly lower on the rear. been for a run this morning on my m7rr's nd got 57 degrees on the right and 34 on the front so not much wrong with them. :)

57 degrees! That?s got to be a road record [emoji41]

If I may, can I ask why you needed the ABS at all? Following fast riders like Phil, who hardly uses the brakes, makes me think you're over-riding and need to reduce the amount you charge the corners.

- Alex

+1

Last edited:
57 is more than i do on track lol (I am so held back by a fear of lean)

- Alex

57 is a rare thing, once or twice a year sort of thing. i normally get knee down at 48 degrees and most rides get a few left and rights at about 51 to 53 degrees just for fun really. my missis leans more than me on her zx10r se but thank god she hasnt got a guage to scare me too much.lol

meant 54 on left on my earlier post.lol

im going to put the RS's back on this week as i would rather finish them off in this heat and save the m7's for later in the year. :)

Last edited:

- Alex

That's just it Alex. I've never really had the ABS activate with the k3's. Not riding any different. When ridding fast on the island roads, it's quite normal to have to brake fairly hard for sheep or tourists parked in stupid places. Like mentioned earlier, I don't consider myself a particularly fast rider, but do like to give it a squirt out of corners when the mood takes me.

Back